Freakin out a bit here!

007BigD

Not sure what to do here!!!...Not even sure if I should really post this here, we all have problems to deal with...so please forgive if you feel this is too personal. I just felt I needed to say a few things.

These forums have been a second home for me, since I found them. I have had the most fun here and caught on to coins almost instantly since discovering Geocaching.

Since being a part of these forums, I have had great fun chasin mystery coins, meeting all my new friends and of course collecting, trading and releasing geocoins.

I spend alot of time here, reading the posts and conversing with friends...alittle, OK alot more than I should. :grin:

I have just got a call from my Sweetpea, who many of you know is having our baby. We have been together for 7 years and she has just completed her first year of teaching. She has just informed me that during her time off she will not be paid for it and will loose her medical benefits as well.

Me being self imployed, I have no benefits and we have not yet married. I have come to the conclusion to move 50 miles North to Laytonville where she resides and works...This was to be expected and was planning on it soon. It wasnt till today that we found out that she will have No pay and no Medical benefits during her leave.

So drastic actions must be takin on my part to make this happen without going without healthcare and the double income we were expecting. I have decided to take a job with the school district repairing and maintenanceing the busses, just so we will have healthcare and my hourly working wages will be less than 1/3 of what I make now, but will be steady.

I will close the shop and really have no other choice to commit my time after work to work in the hills from my service truck. Originally I was gonna keep it and commute back and forth, but with the American healthcare system...We need Healthcare! I hate to do it, but hey~ change is good!

I cant help but realize that I have no option other than to take a break from this place I love to spend my free time and deal with what needs to be delt with. I will probably end up selling a large portion of my coins to do what needs to be done. However I will still be a Coinicker and will keep all my special coins and friends...and will definatley see ya'll at GW6 as well as every now and then here on the forums.

Just seems to be the right thing to do at this point. I probably wont have internet up there as for its a bit outa the way.

I never planned on selling any of my coins, and as if thats not bad enough my caching adventures will slow down as well.

As of right now all my time will be devoted to wrapping up the projects that I am currently involved in, so needless to say all the time involved in trades, forums and chatting will be directed to getting ready for the new changes I am looking forward too.

I will still be around, but I expect that you all will see alot less of me...Really puts a damper on my Coinicker spirits being that my coin design is almost done that has been in the works since March.

I hope Im not jumping the gun here, but at this point I have no choice as to what Ive got to do. I just love this community and cannot see myself being away for too long. You guys have really made this a great place and I thank all of you for what great things you have done.

Its just that you gotta do what you gotta do to get what ya gotta get...Wish me luck!

Here goes!

Hey 007BigD. I hope everything works out for you. Just remember that everything happens for a reason. Please keep me posted on your litte bun in the ovens' progress. I'll do the same. Sounds like a scheduled C-section for my wife. Possibley last week in January. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you in your new and bold adventure in life. :grin::D:grin::grin::D

:D Dardevle :D

Edited by dardevle

We share the same sentiments as others have already posted. We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. While I have not had the pleasure of trading with you I have always enjoyed reading your posts. They always bring a smile to my face. :grin: Family comes first, so you have to do what you have to do. Enjoy every moment you can once your Sweetpea arrives....they grow so fast.

Hi, I'm in and out of the coin forums so I don't know you very well. But I wanted to chime in here with everyone else. I'm impressed with your post, with the optomistic and balanced attitude that you're showing. Change is hard, I hate change! But I look back on past experience and know that change can bring incredible things, and it's all part of the experience of life. It makes us who we are which is a good thing.

(Hugs) to you and your family. Enjoy the ride. :grin:

We'll be here waiting for you when you get back. Things may seem overwhelming now but the little one on the way is the best gift of all. Congrats on that and look to your future with joy! :grin:

On a side note, can the school district she is in do that? Is she not union? Even so I can't believe they would cut her off like that. Healhcare in this country is obscene! She should make sure she has the baby in the school so they have to pay since she was technically working. :grin:

Good luck! :grin:

G'Day Dave, You know life is never easy and there are always things changing that you have to deal with the best you can, But with the wee geosprog :grin: on the way you are going to be having a heap of fun despite the hassles that may come along, kids are the greatest reward in life! I'm glad I got the chance to meet you in here and we will definately be keeping in touch. Take care, talk soon, and remember even if you are just passing through, you know where we are :grin: Talk soon Mate.

Mark (Elmo)

P.S. You better let me know your new Addy, I have this parcel to send, I really want to spoil the surprise but I know that you and your sweetpea along with the new weeny will love it :grin:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, It really means alot to me to hear, and yep, this little Geo-Bun is gonna pay for it all.

Its more than just sharing my problems, Its like I have no choice but to dig out on what has been a very exciting and fun experience and what I love to do...I just love these coins 'N' forums 'N' such! I guess it would kinda be like saying goodbye to that girlfriend that you know youll see again. :grin:

And its gonna be hard too...I swear these coins 'N' Forums 'N' such are addicting!!! Just cant seem to stay away cause I gotta know whats goin on!...Great fun :D

As far as the Healthcare, I dont think she is in a teachers union, she teaches the entire 7th and 8th grade with one other teacher. I read several "leave" forms at the parts stores office today and basically said that you may not be eligiable for Benefits and Salaries during Pregnancy leave...But there are dissability options. But mostly I gotta work for the Medical, which is why im shuttin my shop and movin...which is basically why I gotta go for a bit.

I aint out...Like I said "A mans gotta do, what a mans gotta do, to get whatcha gotta get!

Just struck me as :D ...I gotta make some changes!!!

Its not so bad...Just means I gotta bust my hiney is all :grin: ... :D

Oh and my coins are my coins...They aint noone elses...But I do have a life savings invested so might as well cache in a few in time of need! Not sure yet, but sure can afford to rid myself of some!

Thanks again!...still a coinicker, just a bit more conservative now :grin:

But with the wee geosprog :D on the way you are going to be having a heap of fun despite the hassles that may come along, Mark (Elmo)

P.S. You better let me know your new Addy, I have this parcel to send, I really want to spoil the surprise but I know that you and your sweetpea along with the new weeny will love it :D

Geosprog.... :grin::grin::grin:

Cant wait buddy!

I know not too many of you have seen our names on the forums, because we're more of a lurker, than a participant. But we had to add our praise for the brave decision that you are making now.

Change is not easy, nor is it wanted sometimes, but some of Life's best surprises come from an unexpected change.

Be brave, hold your head up, do what you need to do, and hug that woman of yours. She's got a great man, we can all see that by your willingness to make a sacrifice for her and your beautiful unborn child.

We, as well as everybody else around here wish you and yours the best of luck, and we'll still be lurking around to see how your story turns out down the road when your holding that new cacher!!

Be well man! Family is way way important!

I know what you mean about this coin forums. I pretty much stay away from forums because, well just because.... but the coin forum I keep track of pretty well and like almost all the people I have "met" and met in here. Good folks...

Just want to chime in with the rest of the folks here and wish all three of you the best of luck. Things will probably get hectic for a while but that little bundle will give you guys something that will bring joy for the rest of your lives. :lol:

Take good care of yourselves, that's the important thing. Our thoughts go with you.

....She has just informed me that during her time off she will not be paid for it and will loose her medical benefits as well.

Me being self imployed, I have no benefits and we have not yet married. I have come to the conclusion to move 50 miles North to Laytonville where she resides and works...This was to be expected and was planning on it soon. It wasnt till today that we found out that she will have No pay and no Medical benefits during her leave....

If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not going to be too far off base). Employer/Insurers under COBRA (can't tell you what that stands for) are required to offer the employee the opportunity to continue their medical insurance by paying the premiums upon job separation.

Normally this is for when you quit or are fired, but since the Employer is treating this as a separation and terminating the employee's pay and beneifits it probably qualifies for COBRA.

There may be a small employer exemption to COBRA but you have to do the legwork to figure it out. Paying premiums while having a baby may be worth it. On the other hand a lot of medical doesn't pay jack on having a baby and so you guys may actually be better off being able to pay your premiums directly on the hospital bill. Ignoring catastrophic things that you can't plan on...

Just checkin in to my "poor me" thread :) ...Really though, Ive got about a month or so before I dig out of where im at. So ill be around a little...I figure I should allow my self a forum allowance :D Till Im all wrapped up here. Tuesdays and Thursdays till im gone-1 hour a day. :D ...after all I still gotta look out for a dang Fairy drop!!!

Maybe I should join a forum support group! GFA...Geocoin forums annonymous! :o

Thanks again for all your thoughts...and we will be lookin into alternative options to wage compensation, such as COBRA...? as RK suggested...But Teachers dont pay into dissability, so that is out.

At least I can still place caches...Laytonville only has 3 caches all of which are owned by me!!! I can also access GC.com through her classroom...Just no forum access!~ Dang that Officer Dave on the school computers!! :D

As far as some coins to sell, I will pick out a bunch and try to have them up before to long...Never sold on ebay, so not sure how to handle it...List em here, or put em up on ebay? Really Ill just sell enough to get me through wrappin up my shop, so I can finish the personal and charity projects Im in the middle of, without worryin about makin that money so much...I just knew my coin investment would pay off! :D

Thanks again, and we'll definatley see ya around

I thought that there was the Family Medical leave act passed a few years ago, would that help? what about vacation time/pay?

Makes me grateful to live in Sweden, paid 25 bucks equivalent for both my girls delivery and free pre and post natal care and I get a monthly "mamma pay" for a year after the birth that is 80% of my pay so I can take that first year off. I'm currently expecting our third, we couldn't make it in the US with the current way things are done there!

I wish you all the best, you're doing a wonderful thing for both mamma and baby, I wish there were more fathers like you!

I only know you from the forums so it is from that insight I speak.

I recently had a BIG change.

I have 2 granddaughters that I am raising now.

Talk about a change in lifestyle??????

My caching and benchmarking at first had diminished and is more select now.

But I have incorporated a benchmark in raising them geocaching style.

We hit all the park geocaches,while in the past I might have just passed them by.

You will learn how to balance the new with the old once things line out for you all.

It is a great thing to have new life.

It may come in more forms than you can imagine from this point forward.

Good luck out there and as I always say.

HAPPY...............................................GEOTRAILS

We hit all the park geocaches,while in the past I might have just passed them by.

You will learn how to balance the new with the old once things line out for you all.

HAPPY...............................................GEOTRAIL

I like your post and your philosophy. I wish you luck with your situation :laughing:

HAPPY...............................................GEOTRAILS

Isn't it amazing how children can change the way we see the small things in life!! :laughing: