1st Annual OktoberCache Event

M3J

Hey folks,

About to be published is an event here in Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario in celebration of Oktoberfest. It will be held October 6th, 2007 from 10am until 4pm and be held at Laurel Creek Conservation Area here in Waterloo. Yes, we know its Thanksgiving Weekend but we feel many people will be looking for something to do other than stuffing a turkey (heck, you can stuff Ted if you really feel like it). If you have visitors, it would be a great time to introduce them to our wacky pastime.

The Oktoberfest here is the second largest in the world, second only to Munich as I understand it. It is a great celebration of food, music, culture, and of course, beer. Our event will encompass all of the above (though root beer only during the day!!)...and as far as culture, well, we'll just have to keep a few of the usual suspects away...

Keep an eye peeled for the details but it should be lots of fun with event only as well as many loggable caches in the area.

Team Keg and Kache, at this point consiting of M3J and Electroqted, are looking for volunteers to help us plan activities, caches, Oktoberfest style luncheon, and possible camping and/or apres event jollies. Send me a note if you are interested.

Edited by M3J

Hey, some self promotion on this event again...

First, the event page has been updated with a bunch of new info. We have some prizes on the way and a lot of great activities planned thanks to help from Electroqted, Eelow and Beelow, and others.

The best news (and the reason for this bump) is that I want to encourage people to join us that day for one reason mainly now. I have had some discussion now with the Grand River Conservation Authority over caching in their conservation areas and I think I have made some headway. I just got off the phone with the Manager of Conservation Area Operations and he is intersted in the idea of geocaching, mainly from a promotion of the conservation areas and nature point of view. I assured him I have a number of ideas how caches can be placed on their properties and minimizing the impact on the environment. He has asked I email him the gist of our conversation and cc the manager of Laurel Creek Conservation area in on it so he has some context. He then asked if I would be willing to meet face to face to discuss further with both he and this manager.

I explained to him the event we are having and invited them both out to meet a group of cachers to see that we have good intentions when it comes to the environment. They will likely pop by at some point on Oct 6th during the Oktobercache event to meet with a few of us, therefore, the more of us that are there (especially those that are seasoned cachers or at least, serious about minimizing our footprint so to speak), the better chance we would likely have at allowing geocaches on GRCA properties between Luther Marsh up by Arthur, down to Byng Island down by Dunnville and the mouth of the Grand on Lake Erie. I know there may be caches on some GRCA land at the moment but they are unaware of it and if they chose to, could ban it entirely.

Therefore, I encourage cachers to come on out to this event, not only to be a part of a lot of fun, but to possibly play a small part in bringing awareness of our hobby (obsession) and advancing the "cause" in conservation areas and, if successful, maybe to approaching other bodies like Parks Canada.

Hey, some self promotion on this event again...

:) First time posting here. Just started on Sept 2 - GCing and found one locate cach - Anyway we are from Elmira, ON, just around the corner from "you". This sounds like an awsome event. How do I get hold of you if I/We want to help out. I have to check the schedual - 3 family dinners that weekend- but it sounds fun. It would also be nice to meet other people and get their help.