Caching on Michigan State Land

SMOKEATERLT

I have been wanting to place my own caches and trying to set something up that I think people would enjoy. I have been thinking alot about State land here in Michigan because there is alot of it around me and the fact that most of the caches around here are "park & grabs". Not complaining just would like to have some where you get off the road and see more and get some excercise. Anyhow I was doing some research and found on the Michigan DNR web site that there is a $35.00 fee to set caches. Has anyone set caches on State land and is there anything else i need to know other than the fee? And is that fee for each cache or for mutiple? Just wondering how it works. Dont want to break rules but 35.00 is rather expensive for only one cache.

I think if you asked that question in the Michigan Geocaching Association forums you'd get some good info

MIGO

here's the Land Use page for Michigan.

On Michigan DNR lands:

Best of all, perhaps, is that the individual fee to place a Geocache is no longer going to be enforced. Instead, MiGO, as an organization, will pay a blanket permit, that covers the *entire* state!

Kudos to MiGO for negotiating that! very nice.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

MiGo...and namely Sandrich...have worked out a great deal allowing us to place caches in the State Parks (not state game areas) for FREE! You MUST work with the S.P. you plan to place your hides in and get permission and also sign an agreement to abide by their rules and guidelines, but they are MORE than happy to have caches in their parks (as long as not in sensitive areas).

Check out the MiGO website (link available above in IZ's post) for more info.

GLAD to have you aboard DJH...maybe we'll meet up on the trails!!

THANKS FOR THE LINKS! I have checked them out and and it is great that the $35.00 fee is being taken care of MiGo. I wish they would let us put caches on the game areas as this is what I have most around me and actually had a site in mind. Oh well! At least there is no fee and that is a step in the direction of being able to place caches on the rest. I have one state park in my area and it is quite large so maybe I can get a couple out there and we have a city park that I maybe able to get one into as well. Just gonna have to get more creative I guess.

Tried to join Migo today but the application is not available on line right now, so I will have to wait.

Thanks again for the links and Happy Caching everyone!