Vista HCX will not power up

My three week old Vista Hcx will not longer power up and is not recognized by the computer. I was changing the basemap display options and the unit locked up. I removed the batteries and re-inserted them and I get a completely blank screen when I push the power button. I tried holding 'Enter' and powering up to do a reset and that does not work. I also tried it with and without the memory card plugged in.

I am on a trip so cannot return the unit to Garmin for another week. Is there anying else I can do to reload the firmware (which I suspect is corrupted) or kick it out of this mode?

Thanks,

Paul

I'm sorry to hear that you have this problem while on a trip. I, too, am having the power on problem and I still haven't had a chance to call Garmin. I'm reluctant to give up the device but I'm sure that's what they are going to ask me to do - return it and possibly send me a new one. Anyway, the only way that I've been able to correct this, is try turning it on, remove and replace only one battery, and then turn it back on again. I've found that I have to hold the power button in for quite a while (seems like an eternity) but it eventually turns back on. I don't know if this will help but it's all that I can offer from my experience.

Thanks for the tips. I thought I was on to a solution when I ran through Freeday's instructions. Holding down the up arrow and power on at the same time did allow the updater program to 'See' the device. The updater went through all the erase and then loading procedure OK. The eTrex screen indicated 'Loading' and the updater program said that the loading was complete after a couple of minutes. The eTrex screen then went blank and I released the buttons. Immediately the pc 'chimed' indicating the USB connection was lost and I can still not power the device up.

Close, but no cigar! Any other suggestions?

Paul

Hi!

Did you try a hard reset?

"Just wanted to let you know, the "hard reset" fixed the on/off problem, so everything's OK now!" - captain454

Try find how to do it. I thing you could find how to do it in this forum. I do not remember which keys you must hold, sorry.

Regards

Hi,

more information. I hope it works. Good luck

A guy in europa had also the power-on-bug. - He solved this problem by HARD RESET.

"The newer etrex units (venture, legend, and vista) with the "Click Stick" use different keys to accomplish these tasks but the idea is the same. Holding the click stick down and then powering up will enter the test screen while holding the "page" key down and the "click stick" down and then powering up will reset the unit. You will be prompted with an "are you sure?" message. On these units holding down the "find" button in addition to the others will avoid the "are you sure" message. Hold the buttons for 5 seconds to clear the unit."

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/secret.htm

PAGE + ENTER (click stick) + POWER ON

redards

Thanks for the tips. I thought I was on to a solution when I ran through Freeday's instructions. Holding down the up arrow and power on at the same time did allow the updater program to 'See' the device. The updater went through all the erase and then loading procedure OK. The eTrex screen indicated 'Loading' and the updater program said that the loading was complete after a couple of minutes. The eTrex screen then went blank and I released the buttons. Immediately the pc 'chimed' indicating the USB connection was lost and I can still not power the device up.

Close, but no cigar! Any other suggestions?

Paul

Did you release the buttons too soon? Try the procedure again, except hold the buttons down for a much longer period. You need to keep holding them down until the entire firmware update has completed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried a hard reset and a soft reset witout any success. Turning power on only changes the shade of gray of the screen and I do not get the start-up screen or any 'Are you sure' prompt.

Any other suggestions?

Paul

Is sounds as if you may have the contrast set way down.... If applying power turns the shade just a bit... It is a long shot but I hope that is all it is.

I wish it was that simple. No, the unit has died and cannot be reset. The only glimmer of hope is that the firmware can be reloaded using the updater, but ONLY if the up-arrow is held while the power button is depressed. This will allow the PC to 'see' the unit and load the software OK.

I will report back after I have called Garmin this week.

Paul

I wish it was that simple. No, the unit has died and cannot be reset. The only glimmer of hope is that the firmware can be reloaded using the updater, but ONLY if the up-arrow is held while the power button is depressed. This will allow the PC to 'see' the unit and load the software OK.

I will report back after I have called Garmin this week.

Paul

That is what you needed to do in the first place. 1-800-800-1020

It's a free call and they are extremely helpful.