Collecting Geocoins

cincol

As a relative newbie to the sport of Geocaching I would like to pose this question - at the risk of it having been asked before perhaps. One might wonder why I am placing this on the SA Forum rather than the Geocoin Forum - so that "like minded" South Africans can communicate with me and I will undertand what they are saying and means!

I understand that geocoins are collectables as well as "travellers" - as opposed to Travel Bugs that are "travellers" only. I have read through many articles on the various forums, but still do not find an answer to my question and would appreciate an answer in plain lingo that a dumb South African can understand!

All geocoins are uniquely numbered in order that they can be tracked. Are ones that are collected numbered? How does one go about collecting them? I would imagine that geocoins found in caches are NOT to be added to one's private collection as they need to remain in circulation. I would find that an extremely selfish practise if it were the case. I couldn't imagine myself uplifting a geocoin from a cache and then not placing it in another. That would be as good as theft in my eyes - or am I incorrect with this assumption?

I look forward to some dicussion and enlightenment on the topic and hopefully will become a collector of these beautiful coins that are available.

Happy caching. :surprise:

Hi cincol

Now listen carefully to my advice, turn around, run, run as fast as you can! As you are now far enough out of harms way I would need to yell, but I do not mind. Geocoins are way, way more addictive than geocaching and only the very poor (like me) can resist the infinite temptation they present.

O.K. the answer is that there are two types of Geocoins. Ones with numbers and those without tracking numbers. The ones with numbers is usually used as track-able coins after you have activated them with a number that you have to get from the manufacturer (it is not the number on the coin itself). The coins' number is used by fellow cachers to log the coin as found on Geocaching.com

The same track-able coins are just as desirable as collectors items and I do not think there is any value difference between them. If you are going to collect them you obviously don't activate them, but you may.

The coins without numbers are for collecting and to use as a signature item that you can present as a present to fellow geocachers at one of your "braais" of leave in the cache for the next finder as a nice surprise. Both types of coins can obviously be traded for.

Another smaller coin is available through Pathtags.com and we use them as signature items. The cost is about one tenth of a geocoin but you can't track them as they are not for replacing in caches intended. The "tracking" with them is for the originator to see whom has collected his Pathtags. We really do like them.

Welcome to the "Big Addiction" :(

If you need to know from the expert, give "Fish Eagle" a private message. :mad:

All geocoins are uniquely numbered in order that they can be tracked. Are ones that are collected numbered? How does one go about collecting them? I would imagine that geocoins found in caches are NOT to be added to one's private collection as they need to remain in circulation. I would find that an extremely selfish practise if it were the case. I couldn't imagine myself uplifting a geocoin from a cache and then not placing it in another. That would be as good as theft in my eyes - or am I incorrect with this assumption?

While most, if not all, geocoins are numbered, it does not necessarily mean that they are trackable on GC.com. Many folks that collect Geocoins, only collect coins which are not trackable. Others collect trackable as well as non trackable coins.

Quite right, you do not uplift a coin and keep it in your collection, unless it is an unactivated coin which has been placed specifically as a FTF gift or something like that. Unfortunately it seems many coins get nicked and end up in private collections - yes it is theft! You may notice that many coin owners release photocopied and laminated versions of their coins instead of the real thing. These are disappointing to find, but it can be understood why coin owners do this. Then again, if you're not prepared to spend the $5-$10 on a coin and release it as it's meant to be with the inherent risks.... just buy it and keep it in your collection.

Thanks guys

I am getting the message loud and clear! A wonderful hobby to have that can become extremely addictive! This I can fully understand after having seen some of the really beautiful coins "out there".

Thanks for the advice and comments and I look forward to more ideas / suggestions.

Happy caching [and collecting]. :lol: