Dates NOT in universally accepted format

mtbikeroz

Hi,

I just went to log a few caches, and I find the Find date field is now in some STRANGE format (I'm told its the US format).

C'MON guys, this is a WORLD sport - PLEASE PUT THE DATE BACK INTO WORLD STANDARD FORMAT - EITHER yyyy/mm/dd ot dd/mm/yyyy - PLEASE. (Get REAL).

And to top it off - I CAN'T change the date that appears, its locked, and the little calender box that has appeared as new next to the date - is NOT functional.

I have been told the date issue has cropped up a few time in the last few years, BUT IT HAS BEEN IGNORED.

Please JEREMY, have a new look, THIS IS A WORLD SPORT,

I know I'll probably receive flame mail from US people, BUT PLEASE have a reality check, PLEASE.

Thanks.

FURTHER PROBLEMS,

The date is NOT sticking. I'm currently logging finds for the 16th August 2007, (9pm your timne of 15/8/07) and I managed to get the date field changed on my first log to the 16th, but when I go to do my next log, the date has defaulted back to the 15th. What happened to the feature of the date STICKING????? - It's BUSTED!!!!

ALSO - The calender box STILL DOES NOT OPEN or WORK!!!!

Of course I'm cranky, I can't log the correct date, I get frozen out by the calender box, and you busted a working feature.

Hi,

I just went to log a few caches, and I find the Find date field is now in some STRANGE format (I'm told its the US format).

PLEASE PUT THE DATE BACK INTO WORLD STANDARD FORMAT - EITHER yyyy/mm/dd ot dd/mm/yyyy

(edited out less polite parts)

Perhaps this post will answer this question.

Edited by Ambrosia

WINXP SP2.

IE7.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=515349

Click on the picture of the calendar.

Javascript error.

Error is:

Line 7

Char 11556

Unknown runtime error.

If I try and change the date manually, clicking after the day and before the slash of the year, it automatically highlights the year.

Clicking after the month and before the slash of the day it highlights the month.

It's terribly unusable.

Interesting, I just noticed the changes. I tried to manually change the date, but it only let me change the day and year, not the month.

You can "manually" change the month but you have click on the calender icon first. You don't have to make any changes on the calendar you just click on the calendar icon.

Interesting, I just noticed the changes. I tried to manually change the date, but it only let me change the day and year, not the month.

You can "manually" change the month but you have click on the calender icon first. You don't have to make any changes on the calendar you just click on the calendar icon.

Thanks! I thought that I had clicked on the calendar icon before I did that, but I must have done it at another time. Worked this time. :surprise:

I understand that this is an international sport, but why change the date to make the world happy? The sport started in the US, ran by a US company, based on US satellites, so why not use US dates?

Yep. We just let the rest of the world play.

:mad:

:(

In all seriousness, a truly international website would let folks choose their formats, languages, etc.

A quick wiki reveals the following

dd/mm/yyyy (day, month, year)

Using the dd/mm/yyyy format, the 30th of December 2006 would be written as 30/12/2006. The dd/mm/yyyy format is used in:

Albania

Argentina

Armenia

Australia

Bangladesh

Barbados

Belarus

Belgium

Belize

Bolivia

Brazil

Bulgaria

Canada (All 3 main types are used in Canada- in French and in English)

Chile

Colombia

Croatia

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Dominica

Dominican Republic

Ecuador

El Salvador

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Grenada

Guyana

Hong Kong (in English)

Iceland

Iran

Ireland

India

Indonesia

Israel

Italy

Jamaica

Kenya

Latvia

Macau

Malaysia

Mexico

Montenegro

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Pakistan

Panama

Paraguay

Peru

Poland

Portugal

Puerto Rico

Romania

Russia

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Serbia

Singapore

Slovakia

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Thailand

Trinidad and Tobago

Turkey

Ukraine

United Kingdom

Uruguay

Venezuela

Vietnam

yyyy-mm-dd (year, month, day) - the ISO 8601 standard

Using the yyyy-mm-dd format, the 30th of December 2006 would be written as 2006-12-30. The ISO 8601 standard, yyyy-mm-dd, is used in:

Austria

China

Germany (possible, but hardly ever appears in public writings. Most often d.m.yyyy is used)

Hong Kong (same as China)

Hungary

Japan

Korea

Latvia (But often dd.mm.yyyy. is used)

Lithuania

Macau

Nepal

Poland

South Africa ("d/m/yy" is a common alternative)

Sweden

Taiwan

mm/dd/yy or mm/dd/yyyy (month, day, year)

Using the mm/dd/yy format, December 30, 2006 would be written as 12/30/06.

The mm/dd/yy format is used in:

Canada (Although most official documents use the yyyy-mm-dd format, the m/d/yy format is also understood due to influences from the United States.)

Federated States of Micronesia

Palau

Philippines (formerly d/m/yy. May still be found in certain contexts)

United States (Although Independence Day is often referred to as "the Fourth of July.")

yyyy-mmm-dd (year, month, day)

Using the yyyy-mmm-dd format, the 30th of December 2006 would be written as 2006-Dec-30.

The yyyy-mmm-dd format is used in:

Canada (as in 2006-JAN-01)

I will let you draw your own conclusions from this or you could just edit the wikipedia.

I understand that this is an international sport, but why change the date to make the world happy? The sport started in the US, ran by a US company, based on US satellites, so why not use US dates?

Please tell me this is a joke, albeit a bad one, as I can't see any smileys. :mad:

This has got me angry too. Reminds me of an interview of a wife of one of the fire-fighters at 11/9. She said the question has to be asked why Americans are not liked throughout the world? Please remember this was an Americans words not mine!

I think it is comments like this that actually answer her question? There is a far lot more to the world than just your country!!

To add to that, it may well be all of the above, but it also survives off money from people like myself.

I think markandlynn's post makes a very valid point.

Is it not possible to keep everyone happy and set the date format to coincide with the country of residence that you select. Other sites such as ebay (A US company) have recognised the need to keep all their customers happy and have this implemented.

If not, is it not better to go with what the majority of the world goes with and not just because this is a US site so it will have US settings?

Now that there is a compassionate, understanding, and caring comment. Thanks for sharing.

Worked fine the way it was. Need a date .. type it in. Why make the process more complicated?

I agree, I want a log for 10th June 2007 so I type in 10/06/2007. Nothing could be easier. However if I tried that the site would tell me I logged the cache on October 6th!

Note - until the very recent changes yould could not type in 10/06/2007 - You had to select June, 10 and 2007 - No really change of misinterpretation.

After the latest changes having months to be typed as numbers - the confusions really started.

Just curious, in countries where the date format is dd/mm/yyyy, how are dates spoken? Do they say "sixteenth of August," or do they say "August sixteenth"? How would a newspaper article write out a date? Would they write "16 August" or "August 16"?

Just wondering if spoken and written words correspond to the dd/mm pattern.

I just looked at the web site for the London Times and found in their artricles instances of dates written as month and number. If countries speak dates as month and day, why don't they use the mm/dd format?

Not trying to be US-centric, just asking the question.

Just curious, in countries where the date format is dd/mm/yyyy, how are dates spoken? Do they say "sixteenth of August," or do they say "August sixteenth"? How would a newspaper article write out a date? Would they write "16 August" or "August 16"?

I just looked at the web site for the London Times and found in their artricles instances of dates written as month and number. If countries speak dates as month and day, why don't they use the mm/dd format?

today is 16th of August, 2007

It actually varies. Most people I know here in the UK would say "sixteenth of August" but some say "August the sixteenth", nobody says "August sixteenth". Some newspapers print 16 August and some print August 16.

However when filling in forms it is ALWAYS 16 August (or Aug, or 08) 2007 and when written in "shorthand" it is always 16/08/2007

Thanks for taking the time to try and understand :mad:

There's an expression: "If it isn't broke, don't fix it". This issue explains why!

GS was using a perfectly international universal format and they've suddenly decided to break it for 80% of the worlds population.

(That was one of the 87.6% of statistics that's made up on the spot)

EDIT: Just realised that a significant proportion of the readers of this thread will feel the need to look up "irony"

Edited by rutson

A quick wiki reveals the following

dd/mm/yyyy (day, month, year)

Using the dd/mm/yyyy format, the 30th of December 2006 would be written as 30/12/2006. The dd/mm/yyyy format is used in:

Albania

Argentina

Armenia

Australia

Bangladesh

Barbados

Belarus

Belgium

Belize

Bolivia

Brazil

Bulgaria

Chile

Colombia

Croatia

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Dominica

Dominican Republic

Ecuador

El Salvador

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Grenada

Guyana

Hong Kong (in English)

Iceland

Iran

Ireland

India

Indonesia

Israel

Italy

Jamaica

Kenya

Latvia

Macau

Malaysia

Mexico

Montenegro

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Pakistan

Panama

Paraguay

Peru

Poland

Portugal

Puerto Rico

Romania

Russia

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Serbia

Singapore

Slovakia

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Thailand

Trinidad and Tobago

Turkey

Ukraine

United Kingdom

Uruguay

Venezuela

Vietnam

yyyy-mm-dd (year, month, day) - the ISO 8601 standard

Using the yyyy-mm-dd format, the 30th of December 2006 would be written as 2006-12-30. The ISO 8601 standard, yyyy-mm-dd, is used in:

Austria

China

Germany (possible, but hardly ever appears in public writings. Most often d.m.yyyy is used)

Hong Kong (same as China)

Hungary

Japan

Korea

Latvia (But often dd.mm.yyyy. is used)

Lithuania

Macau

Nepal

Poland

South Africa ("d/m/yy" is a common alternative)

Sweden

Taiwan

mm/dd/yy or mm/dd/yyyy (month, day, year)

Using the mm/dd/yy format, December 30, 2006 would be written as 12/30/06.

The mm/dd/yy format is used in:

Canada (Although most official documents use the yyyy-mm-dd format, the m/d/yy format is also understood due to influences from the United States.)

Federated States of Micronesia

Palau

Philippines (formerly d/m/yy. May still be found in certain contexts)

United States (Although Independence Day is often referred to as "the Fourth of July.")

yyyy-mmm-dd (year, month, day)

Using the yyyy-mmm-dd format, the 30th of December 2006 would be written as 2006-Dec-30.

The yyyy-mmm-dd format is used in:

Canada (as in 2006-JAN-01)

I will let you draw your own conclusions from this or you could just edit the wikipedia.

The USA is a democracy not Groundspeak. Also, I highly doubt that Groundspeak has any diplomatic relations with any of those governments.

Has TPTB listened to us on here? The date format has changed back to what it was before.

The dates are still and have always been in the US format. This thread shows that the US is in fact with this issue in the minority as far as the world goes. So how about looking at a system that gives us the date format the individual customer would like to see? Then everyone will be happy!

Looks like they are using the Date Picker control from essentialobjects which is configurable.

DatePicker can be customized to use different formats via its PickerFormat property. The following two DatePickers have their PickerFormat set to MM/dd/yyyy and dd/MM/yyyy

So all we need is an extra field in our profile to specify the preferred date format and some coding to apply this setting to the DatePicker control. :mad:

Cornix

Much as I appreciate the US and the American side of the sport: it's geocaching not US-caching. :mad:

geo prefix, Greek, meaning: of or relating to the Earth

Darn it - I rose to the flamebait!

Also, I highly doubt that Groundspeak has any diplomatic relations with any of those governments.

you are absolutely right when you state that this is not about diplomatic relations.

but maybe this is about business relations between a vendor and its customers.

from a business perspective it usually is a good idea to make your customers happy so they will renew subscriptions to your service :(

some non-us customers would feel happier if they could enter dates in the way they are used to write them and some would like to see the mix up of imperal and metric been sorted out.

of course this is not about life of death. it's just about feeling good when using a product/service.

and if the widget is configurable anyhow it should not be too expensive to create some happyness. :mad:

It actually varies. Most people I know here in the UK would say "sixteenth of August" but some say "August the sixteenth", nobody says "August sixteenth". Some newspapers print 16 August and some print August 16.

However when filling in forms it is ALWAYS 16 August (or Aug, or 08) 2007 and when written in "shorthand" it is always 16/08/2007

Thanks for taking the time to try and understand :mad:

Just to add to that accurate post: the reason that it varies in this case is that the month name is given. So there is no logical need for a conventional format.

Although the logging date is (for the moment) set to "August 16 2007", which is slightly less conventional than I'm used to, there is no confusion: so I'm happy enough. But the ultimate really is to have customised versions of geocaching.com for different parts of the world, with translated website text (not cache descriptions or logs!), use of different date formats etc.

Please tell me this is a joke, albeit a bad one, as I can't see any smileys. :mad:
This has got me angry too. Reminds me of an interview of a wife of one of the fire-fighters at 11/9. She said the question has to be asked why Americans are not liked throughout the world? Please remember this was an Americans words not mine!

I think it is comments like this that actually answer her question? There is a far lot more to the world than just your country!!

To add to that, it may well be all of the above, but it also survives off money from people like myself.

What happened on November 9th?

For those international users who are really upset about this, please see post #4. Ambrosia was nice enough to dig up a post from Jeremy which stated that he was working on it.

You're goning to get what you want. Hurray!!!

Edited by sbell111
Please tell me this is a joke, albeit a bad one, as I can't see any smileys. :(

Confusing isn't it. :mad: I was using the more common format of day/month as in the 11th September.

Thank you for being the guinea pig that proved our point.

Please tell me this is a joke, albeit a bad one, as I can't see any smileys. :(

Confusing isn't it. :mad: I was using the more common format of day/month as in the 11th September.

Thank you for being the guinea pig that proved our point.

The point that you guys use the wrong date format? I got the message. Thanks.

BTW, I got your point the first time. I was making a joke since this somewhat boring and unimportant topic was being taken so seriously by many.

BTW, I got your point the first time. I was making a joke since this somewhat boring and unimportant topic was being taken so seriously by many.

Oh Right OK thanks. Everyone of course could see that. or they can now after this post.

Thanks again for making our point. As markandlynn have pointed out. US is in the minority of the date format. So I think we use the correct one?

Oh Right OK thanks. Everyone of course could see that. or they can now after this post.

Thanks again for making our point. As markandlynn have pointed out. US is in the minority of the date format. So I think we use the correct one?

I can see that humor is wasted on this thread. :grin:

I hope that you at least noted that Jeremy et al was working on giving you what you want. Given this, I don't get your angst.

Edited by sbell111

:grin:

I hope that you at least noted that Jeremy et al was working on giving you what you want. Given this, I don't get your angst.

Unfortunately there was very little evidence of humour.

What I would like to see is an acceptance that one particular view is not necessarily "correct" nor preferable to another. Just because I do something differently from you does not make either my way or your way inherently correct. I think what people are asking for is a recognition that there are several equally valid ways of expressing dates and that a professional website should allow people to choose.

I would not expect you to change your way of working to suit me and I would ask that you have the decency not to force me to do things in your way.

Edited by The Hornet

What I would like to see is an acceptance that one particular view is not necessarily "correct" nor preferable to another. Just because I do something differently from you does not make either my way or your way inherently correct. I think what people are asking for is a recognition that there are several equally valid ways of expressing dates and that a professional website should allow people to choose.

I would not expect you to change your way of working to suit me and I would ask that you have the decency not to force me to do things in your way.

Here here, we should have a choice, as Ebay etc give us. Ideally the choice to change if not at least have the month in a format we recognise ie Aug. or August.

Are you insane? I guarantee that the majority of users of geocaching.com are in the U.S... How about we put it to a vote? Quit complaining...

Isn't it enough for you that Jeremy is working on it? You want everyone to grovel to you, also???

fugetaboutit!

Isn't it enough for you that Jeremy is working on it? You want everyone to grovel to you, also???

fugetaboutit!

Is this a typical American response when asked to consider another point of view or are you a one off? At what point did my request become a demand for "Grovelling"? I tried to be polite and not do anyone down, maybe I failed.

Oh dear, never mind. :grin:

#1 If there was a universal date, everone would use it. Not just most everone.

#2 Looking at the universal date I don't like it any better than the US version.

#3 I like that question about how it's said vs. written. Universal should match spoken as well as written.

#4 My favorite format is 16 Aug 2007.

#5 I don't say it that way I say August 16th.

#6 All that said, I probably won't change my format on this site because I actually don't care enough about the issue.

#7 11/9 doesn't sound right.

Are you insane? I guarantee that the majority of users of geocaching.com are in the U.S... How about we put it to a vote? Quit complaining...

So many of the US users think they are Groundspeak. That is why I do not particularly like asking for anything on this forum. Jeremy you visited the British forums not long back. Come again please. At least you don't get put down for asking for something!

:D

fugetaboutit!

Is this a typical American response when asked to consider another point of view or are you a one off? At what point did my request become a demand for "Grovelling"? I tried to be polite and not do anyone down, maybe I failed.

Oh dear, never mind. :D

Hornet, that is exactly how I feel. Never mind :grin: Waste of time getting into the arbitual argument that always happens if you aren't American. :grin::D:D

That comment isn't a reflection on Groundspeak, it's just how most of the US users come across on this part of the forums.

So many of the US users think they are Groundspeak. That is why I do not particularly like asking for anything on this forum. Jeremy you visited the British forums not long back. Come again please. At least you don't get put down for asking for something!

:D

fugetaboutit!

Oh dear, never mind. :D

Hornet, that is exactly how I feel. Never mind :grin: Waste of time getting into the arbitual argument that always happens if you aren't American. :grin::D:D

That comment isn't a reflection on Groundspeak, it's just how most of the US users come across on this part of the forums.

And using words like "typical" and "always" to describe an entire country is what?

I'm sorry for problems with certain people, but lumping all of us together like that doesn't sound very open minded.