New Google maps

trailferrets

why do you have to be 15 miles or closer to view caches on the new google maps? i like being zoomed out if im thinking about going to a new area to see if there are alot of caches i would like to visit, now i have to continually click and move the map 15 miles at a time. i liked the old maps much better.

I like the new one better, now I can see the maps without all the huge cache icons popping up.

*edit

I like the small icons too. I noticed that there is a checkbox for Locationless caches, but I'm pretty sure those were all moved to Waymarking. Speaking of which you can view waymarks on these new maps.
The new maps are beautiful!! :surprise: Is there a trick to getting the individual cache types to show/hide? Checking and unchecking the box doesn't appear to do anything for me. Hide my finds works though. I feel like I'm missing something.
It works for me. Try checking or unchecking a box and then zooming out to refresh the map.
The new maps are beautiful!! :surprise: Is there a trick to getting the individual cache types to show/hide? Checking and unchecking the box doesn't appear to do anything for me. Hide my finds works though. I feel like I'm missing something.
It works for me. Try checking or unchecking a box and then zooming out to refresh the map.

Nope. I just checked in Firefox and see how it's supposed to work. When I open in IE 6, the boxes come up unchecked at the start. Checking, unchecking, scrolling, zooming in, zooming out don't change the caches that appear (all of them). "Hide my finds" also starts unchecked and works correctly when I check or uncheck it. Please don't make me upgrade to IE 7. I don't wanna. :(

Edited by kelita13

Nope. I just checked in Firefox and see how it's supposed to work. When I open in IE 6, the boxes come up unchecked at the start. Checking, unchecking, scrolling, zooming in, zooming out don't change the caches that appear (all of them). "Hide my finds" also starts unchecked and works correctly when I check or uncheck it. Please don't make me upgrade to IE 7. I don't wanna. :(

IE 7 aint so bad really. I actually prefer it to IE6 now.

(when i have to. i'm a hardcore firefoxer anyway :surprise:

The Waymarking thing is cool, but since it is a 'link', not a checkbox, i had no idea it would just show the waymarks on the current map. I didn't click it before, since i thought it would take me to the Waymarking site. It should be checkbox, not a link. And it's strange that they disable when you move the map. If i have waymarks on, i want to keep them on when i move the map!

Having to be within 15 miles is a killer for places without a high cache density. Living in Okanogan there are only 3 caches within the 15 miles parameter. And as I move it around more often than not there are zero caches within 15 miles so it makes it hard to find caches. More distance is needed!!

Love the new google maps, especially the smaller icons.

Bug report:

When I check "Hide my finds" they do disappear. When I drag the map any amount, they reappear even though that checkbox is still checked.

Same bug for the "Hide my caches" checkbox.

The other checkboxes seem to work as expected.

(bug shows in both Firefox 2.0.0.3 and IE 7.0)

Having to be within 15 miles is a killer for places without a high cache density. Living in Okanogan there are only 3 caches within the 15 miles parameter. And as I move it around more often than not there are zero caches within 15 miles so it makes it hard to find caches. More distance is needed!!

I live in Ar. and there are not that many caches around me. i will travel quite a ways to go to one. but i liked having the map zoomed out to show half of Arkansas to see where i wanted to go. Missouri is the same way. i wish they would at least give premium members the option of zooming out farther.

The 15 mile limit is absolute torture. It completely destroys the usefulness of the maps.

All the "improvements" in these new maps aren't new at all. You could do everything the new maps can do before by combining pocket queries and the map previews.

So since we haven't gained any real new features but we're now stuck with a 15 mile limit and we also don't have map previews on the pocket queries, I feel like my ability to map out my days of caching has been chopped in half.

I sometimes wonder if the programmers who make these changes do any caching themselves. Because it certainly doesn't seem like the changes are being made by people who actually use the software.

Edited by SkyRattlers

Totally liked the old maps better!!!

Issues:

- doesn't seem to allow me to move the map sometimes. On IE, vista. This seems to be when I come from a cache page map. If I use search zipcode and then map all, it looks like it can.

Unavailable functionality:

- to see at a glance the caches by name in an area and their location!

- ability to print a map with cache names by the locations (see above)

- ability to see zoomed out the number of caches in an area (see previous poster)

We really, really used this functionality.

Unavailable functionality:

- to see at a glance the caches by name in an area and their location!

- ability to print a map with cache names by the locations (see above)

- ability to see zoomed out the number of caches in an area (see previous poster)

We really, really used this functionality.

I have to agree with geochiles. I liked the functionality that the old maps provided better.

It seems the thing that everyone likes on the new maps are the smaller icons on the map itself.

Fine, then bring back the old maps, but use smaller icons on the map.

I'm finding this new map very user unfriendly.

Nope. I just checked in Firefox and see how it's supposed to work. When I open in IE 6, the boxes come up unchecked at the start. Checking, unchecking, scrolling, zooming in, zooming out don't change the caches that appear (all of them). "Hide my finds" also starts unchecked and works correctly when I check or uncheck it. Please don't make me upgrade to IE 7. I don't wanna. :mad:

Just by way of FYI, I checked this on my work computer before the revert. It also has IE 6 (which, officially, I'm not supposed to change, though I was secretly given the power to. I like to play by the rules on this and not piss off IT.) It operated the same as my home computer. No change in caches appearing, only changes in my finds.

I like the new maps as well - but it didn't seem to refresh the caches displayed correctly when I'd move (pan) the map to a new center-point. If I had the checkbox selected to "hide my finds" - it would ignore it, and show them all anyway.

Even with that.. I like it better than the old maps - with the exception of long distance driving. I like to have a bigger overall view when driving the Dallas/Lubbock route via Hwy 114 - and there's not a lot of caches in between... A larger view is helpful in those cases... But there's always Google Maps for my Dash for that application...

ShadowHawk (and for some reason it never logged me in to MY account after logging the kids finds last night!)

Edited by BeBop99
and we also don't have map previews on the pocket queries

That feature is still there, it's on the PQ page, left side, second icon from the left, right beside the lighting bolt with the green arrow.

They changed back to the old code. Under the new code that they had it was gone.