The New Site changes

stepshep

feature suggestion / request

hi there,

after a lot of discussion about the "new" google map - now one suggestion for the "new" map: :lol:

under the headline "premium member features" there are 2 options: "hide my finds" and "hide my caches".

what do you all think about a third option "hide disabled caches"?

sometimes it is really tricky to figure out which cache is active and which is disabled - especially since they are not longer displayed on the right side ....

now you have to click on every cache to view it's status .... is it active or is it disabled .... does not really make a lot of sense to me :lol:

what do you think about it? is this a feature that makes sense or is it senseless?

greetings from good old germany

DocSlyper

You are laughing, but sometimes I have the feeling that some Americans are serious about this.

Why not use the W3C and ISO standard for date formats which is yyyy-mm-dd ?

Would be fair for all of us

Sorry, but that's not how Americans do it. :) I think when v 2.0 comes back the calendar will be clickable. Therefore even if it is confusing, you just click the date on the calendar and tada, nothing to worry about. There is obviously no way to please everyone, but I'm sure The Groundspeak Crew are working very hard getting 2.0 back to us, fully functioning.

Edited by stepshep

I don't like the new date format when logging a cache. It is American Format. Think about the rest of the world guys!

Huh??? Where's that? :):):)

You are laughing, but sometimes I have the feeling that some Americans are serious about this.

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape when things aren't in their local or preferred format. I spent two and a half years living in Italy and traveling around Europe and the Middle East. It really wasn't all that difficult to learn how dates and times were written, distances and liquids were measured, and how the currency system worked in each country. I've found that surfing around the Web is similar to traveling to different countries except instead of having to traveling to different location to experiance these differences the Internet brings those differences to me via the Web.

Sorry, but that's not how Americans do it. :) I think when v 2.0 comes back the calendar will be clickable. Therefore even if it is confusing, you just click the date on the calendar and tada, nothing to worry about. There is obviously no way to please everyone, but I'm sure The Groundspeak Crew are working very hard getting 2.0 back to us, fully functioning.

What day of the week will the calender start on? Sunday or Monday. D'oh!

hi there,

after a lot of discussion about the "new" google map - now one suggestion for the "new" map: :)

under the headline "premium member features" there are 2 options: "hide my finds" and "hide my caches".

sometimes it is really tricky to figure out which cache is active and which is disabled - especially since they are not longer displayed on the right side ....

now you have to click on every cache to view it's status .... is it active or is it disabled .... does not really make a lot of sense to me :)

what do you think about it? is this a feature that makes sense or is it senseless?

DocSlyper

I like it! I would also like to see premium member only check box (obviously normally unchecked) for show archived caches.

hi there,

after a lot of discussion about the "new" google map - now one suggestion for the "new" map: :)

now you have to click on every cache to view it's status .... is it active or is it disabled .... does not really make a lot of sense to me :)

DocSlyper

I like it! I would also like to see premium member only check box (obviously normally unchecked) for show archived caches.

I like it too! I also would like to see the MOC checkbox as well. :)

Sounds like most everyone has some small problems with the new Google maps, for me the problem is much larger, when I click on "view Map" I get no street info or any identifying stuff. The only thing that pops up is a little number 1,2,3, etc., which matches the cache name on the right side of the screen, but nothing that shows me where it is at. I've tried IE v6 and Netscape v8, and still get nothing. Can you help please????

Hello, is anyone out there!!!!!?????

That doesn't sound like a function of the new geocaching.com google maps. That sounds like how the current geocaching.com google maps behave.

Some more information on your setup and where you are seeing this would help. See this post http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=169250

In the mean time. Clear the caches and cookies on both browsers. Make sure you have the latest version of Java installed and enabled in the browsers. Try turning off any firewalls and ad blockers you have running (some routers have built in firewalls). Don't forget to turn the firewalls back on when you are done testing. Uninstall any recently installed software. Uninstall any recently installed hardware.

Sounds like most everyone has some small problems with the new Google maps, for me the problem is much larger, when I click on "view Map" I get no street info or any identifying stuff. The only thing that pops up is a little number 1,2,3, etc., which matches the cache name on the right side of the screen, but nothing that shows me where it is at. I've tried IE v6 and Netscape v8, and still get nothing. Can you help please????

Hello, is anyone out there!!!!!?????

That doesn't sound like a function of the new geocaching.com google maps. That sounds like how the current geocaching.com google maps behave.

Some more information on your setup and where you are seeing this would help. See this post http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=169250

In the mean time. Clear the caches and cookies on both browsers. Make sure you have the latest version of Java installed and enabled in the browsers. Try turning off any firewalls and ad blockers you have running (some routers have built in firewalls). Don't forget to turn the firewalls back on when you are done testing. Uninstall any recently installed software. Uninstall any recently installed hardware.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition, IE v6 & Netscape v8. Cleared caches and cookies. I think I have Java enabled. Tried with firewalls and ad blockers off,same result. When I click on "view map" I get the list of caches on the right side of the page, but nothing in the map area. Am I loosing my mind??

Reposting my concern in here, as per 'Quiggle' in the other topic I was posting in:

The new way is kinda interesting... but I wish it showed all of the names of the geocaches on the side, still. If I'm dragging the map to the side to find a specific geocache (but don't want to go to the hassle of finding the geocache's actual page and using the link off of there... like if I already have the geocaching google map open from another cache), it was nice to have all the names on the side.

Now, instead of just looking at the name on the side, highlighting it and seeing what 'lit up' on the map, I have to hold my mouse cursor over EVERY cache shown on the page until I see the one I'm looking for, IF it's even on the screen.

Actually... since I use the 'drag the map around to look for a certain cache' method quite a bit... methinks I prefer the old google geocache map as it currently stands.

And now guess why the rest of the world thinks that Americans are ignorant...

I mean - GC.com (and not GC.US!!!!!) already HAS some international format functions in it! It's just not consitant. What would be the effort to make some formats editable in your profile? I bet that the GC database is already prepared for this.

And guys - there is a good reason why GC.com should have an open ear for the rest of the world too... Even the rest of the world has Premium Members, and all those non-US-Premium Members are paying their salary! But some countries already have started building their own GC Portals. If gc.com doesn't want to lose some (more) of them, then they should threat them as Customers not as stupid money-givers.

Wow.

I haven't been to the forums in a year or so... I'm happy in the PodCacher world where life is upbeat.

In any case, I noticed the gorgeous, slick new maps one day, and then noticed they were gone, so I came by to see what happened. Again, I'm not a regular poster, so I'm probably stepping in on a regular theme... but it looks like some of you folks have no idea that there are actual people taking care of the site that supports your play time. If you read this thread from beginning to end and imagine it from the developer's point of view, you feel as though you're tied in the public stocks, with the neighborhood riffraff throwing rocks at your head.

I take it the font was a little big in IE?

But I digress. To the powers that be: Please bring back your new maps. They were very nice.

Not sure if this was there before, but on the new maps I really like the zoom to address section. Another great option is the show cache listing, it shows all the caches in a little box so you don't have to click each one. It takes a bit longer to bookmark a group of caches, but other than that great job!

Thank you for such a great site,

Stephen

Edited by stepshep

Although I like the new map and graphics, I can't stand how slow it loads up. I have resorted to going to an area and just walking away while it decides to show me the caches.

And if you move the map to another part of the country to view caches for an area you are traveling to, it locks up. Logging finds takes a while to. What is going on? Shouldn't this be worked out prior to subjecting everyone to this slowness? I prefer the old site. thanks for letting me vent.

Ha... is it just me or did the option to preview a pocket query (including along a route) in a map format went "BY BY". Now that's not right!!! :D Any suggestion??

Hmmm, I don't see your problem. I can preview my route on a map and if I click on create pocket query I can see a map too.

It is not the mashup type, where I could already preview the caches, but that would be asking for too much. Isn't it? Because that would require that all the settings I'm going to make in the lower part are reflected in that mashup.... :D

Ha... is it just me or did the option to preview a pocket query (including along a route) in a map format went "BY BY". Now that's not right!!! :D Any suggestion??

Hmmm, I don't see your problem. I can preview my route on a map and if I click on create pocket query I can see a map too.

It is not the mashup type, where I could already preview the caches, but that would be asking for too much. Isn't it? Because that would require that all the settings I'm going to make in the lower part are reflected in that mashup.... :D

What I was refering to was the option listed on the legend below the pocket query list that says Preview your Pocket Query in Google Maps - None of my saved query have this option anymore.