The New Site changes

stepshep

New site feedback.

Like the ability to hide caches I've found

Not sure what is supposed to happen if I check the box next to the cache type legend. If it is supposed to show/hide that type of cache, it doesn't work. I'm using IE 6.0.2900.2180

I don't see myself turning on/off the type of items displayed very often. I would prefer "preferences" that you can set for what is viewed (finds, hides, types of caches). If I want to view another type of cache, I can go change preferences.

"show cache listing" as a popup takes up alot of room on top of the map. I prefer it the way it was with the listing on the right side. Also would be good to remove "finds" from this list if I checked the box not to view found caches.

Correlation between cache listing and name. I know the caches by their names, less so by the location. Living in a cache rich area, it's pretty painful to have to mouse over each cache on the map to figure out which one it is. It is easy to miss one, or lose your place when trying to discover the name tied to the icon. It would be awesome to have the cache listings in a column on the side, and as you mouse over the names in that column, the cache icon on the map would highlight. It is nice not having the big numbers obscuring the view of the map details.

Mousing over the icon on the map to see the cache name is s-l-o-w. Panning the view is also slow. (I have DSL and a 3.0GHz PC, upgrading memory soon)

Print Preview with decrypted hints is no longer possible.

I liked the previous way, that you could click on the 'decrypt hints' link in a print out preview page.

Now you have to print from the main page with decrypted hints or you have to manually decrypt the hints in the field, which is a pain with long hints...

Roland aka tasdevil13

lost the ability to preview maps in the pocket query. I loved that feature, especially since I am heading on a road trip this weekend.

Maps are cool. But I am having issues with WAY TO BIG FONT and the pocket query. I tried to upload a gpx file for my route and I could not save it because the FONT WAS TOO BIG TO INCLUDE THE FILE so I couldn't check the box to save the thing.

I know we are all getting older (my wife's b-day today) but I don't think the WAY TOO BIG FONT was an improvement.

dad2jnk

I use firefox.

Text on the state page is so tiny for me now. On the cache pages, its all good.

I clicked on the state map on the state page and got:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

E:\INETPUB\200708.GEOCACHING.COM\MAP\../includes/html_header_bridge.asp, line 28

I miss the state map with the caches. Please fix soon.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Sorry, I DON'T like the GOOGLE MAP changes!!!

What I used to find helpful was the numbered list of caches. I would print these on paper or copy them to my PDA. I MISS this feature badly. Now, all I get is a useless list of icons that are of no help on the road.

I also don't like the 15 mile limit, for the reasons already listed.

HOW ABOUT HAVING BOTH GOOGLE MAP OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO CHOOSE FROM?

The 15 mile limit may make sense some places but look around this cache GCZNH1. Is there a way this can either toggle on or off or to a larger range.

I agree. The range should be set on a combination of distance and number of caches in the requested area. For example, a range of 15 miles as a minimum, but if there are less then a given number (for argument sake say 100) then the range is expanded until the number of caches is met.

When you say

Plus the "old" state maps are broken so I cannot even use that option

Do you mean these?

http://www.geocaching.com/map/AL.asp

That works for me.

-Raine

I get this when I click on that link (Windows Vista, IE):

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

E:\INETPUB\200708.GEOCACHING.COM\MAP\../includes/html_header_bridge.asp, line 28

Edited by whistler & co.

love the new maps.

the font problem isnt hapening to me. i use opera. i have font problems occasionally and find the zoom adjusted itsself. jst stick it back on 100 and im fine

however the cache type legend font isn't to small but it seems quite cramped. shouldnt be down to screensize considering this is a 17 inch monitor

on the whole well done guys

Issues (using IE, Vista):

*lots of extraneous code info at the bottom of the "my accounts" page

*"user's web page" link on every cache description is not needed. It opens a new window called "blank page" when there is no actual user's web page.

*in tabbed browsing, the cache is identified (within the tab) by it's GC# and the state. I generally know what state I'm in, and I generally do not have the GC#'s memorized, so if I have several cache pages open at one time, I have no idea which is which unless I go to each page and look at the cache name.

*the clickable calendar on the cache logging page is not working, so you have to manually delete the date and type it in (in the correct format) to log a cache for anything but the present day.

*I miss the regular gc.com maps!

*the font is way too BIG (cache description page only, the others pages are fine).

I use opera:

Version 9.22

Build 8801

Platform Win32

System Windows XP

Java Sun Java Runtime Environment version 1.6

XHTML+Voice Plug-in not loaded

The font is coming out huge for me, the map-it feature loads, but it doesn't load where it should in the space for it, it misses it about halfway. I'm not crazy about the 15mi thing, either.

The font thing really bugs me, I almost yelled at the kidlet thinking she hd been messing with the laptop and settings over it! Good thing I looked first :mad:

Here is how the font looks for me

fontvi6.jpg

and map-it

mapkp6.jpg

Edited by mousekakat

Wow. My text size on the cache page is actually smaller - which I like! (running on Firefox) Same smaller text on my state lookup page too.

I like the "log visit" link on the map page (didn't notice if it was there before). I miss the 'caches on selected bookmark list' feature - I used that a lot, although it didn't always update when new ones were added to a list.

It would be nice to see the 'cache type legend moved to the bottom of the page & the cache list added back to the right side with the bookmark option thingy. I really like the new hover feature & the 'hide my finds' feature.

When I scrolled the map over, I got this message:

EO. Web Controls Client Side Debug Message:

The callback on 'cbAjax' has failed due to a server side exception. Please check the server side code.

You can turn off this message by setting EO.Web.Runtime.DebugLevel to 0 (Not recommended for debug build).

Sorta computer illiterate, so I don't have a clue what that was all about. Clicked OK & now I get an endless 'requesting geocaches'...

Windows XP, Firefox 2.0.0.6

Edited by Lizzy

Why is the picture view feature gone? Now, when you click on a cache page picture link in a log, you are taken to a different page, like before. I liked the pop out slide show feature. I hope this is temporary until they get all the bugs out.

The icons on the new Google maps are too small. If you are only going to show up to 15 caches, please enlarge the icons. They pretty much disappear when you click to satellite mode, making it hard to see in a busy picture of downtown or the suburbs.

Oh, and the font is way too BIG!!!

You guys shrank the cache page size when you had the right column extend to the bottom of the page, now with the the larger font the pages are a mess. Some of us take the time to craft a nice page and this just crams everything together. Again, I hope this is just temporary.

Edited by Big Booty Bob

i dont like the new map at all, i like seeing the list of caches on the right. with this new one everytime i click on the link to show cache listing, the map locks up and i have to close it out and then reopen it. and it is very slow now. it also does not always showing the caches on the screen and i like seeing the smiley faces of the ones i found.

ps i do like some of the features, being able to select what type of caches, could you add a tab next to the names of the caches in map so you can download from there.

ladyhawk21

Edited by Ladyhawk21

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.6 to access the website.

I'm suffering some sheer randomness when logging in. On first login the page looks something you knocked up when HTML first came out, odd coloured banners and the links look like the really old style with a line under them.

Staying on for a while and it settles down but now my links on the left: Getting started, etc some are large and old some are perfect?

LOVE the google maps.

Noticed also that some of the gucci features like the new picture display where the webpage fades and the pic appears in the middle of the - this feature doesn't work on every page. If I log off and on later it'll be working!!

Am I the only person suffering such randomness? :mad:

Google Maps

1) The size of the map is great

2) the ability to filter out ones found and placed

Dislikes:

1) When I open the "Show Cache Listing" popup, I can not scroll the map or get the cache details. Then when I close the popup it is still locked up and I have to reload the page and start my search all over again.

2) The ability to see which caches are already in one of my bookmarks! Please, Please, Please bring back this feature.

3) I do miss the listing on the right with a number that corresponds to the icon on map. As others have mentioned, I usually print the page with the list and can easily identify which cache is what as I go... Now, you can not do that. You actually have to be online to see what cache is under what icon. Please at least give us an option to switch from cache type icons to numbered icons and put the list back on the right.

4) Not a fan of the 15 mile radius limit. In rural areas it requires a lot of scrolling around.

5) Cache Type Legend (Doesn't do anything when I check the checkboxes) As someone else mentioned, I would much rather see this area used for the cache listing and maybe move this below the map.

6) Similar to #1 above (and I saw mentioned by others) when I click on the "Show Waymarks" it shows the Waymarks but the map locks up and won't scroll and again I have to go to reload the page and restart my search.

7) It seems to take about 20 seconds to load popup with cache details when I click on an icon... And since I can't get the Cache Listing to work this is the only way I have to see info on the cache.

Other Dislikes:

1) Not to beat a dead horse but, FONT SIZE is awful!

2) Has the size of bookmarks been decreased????? I have a couple over 100 but now it says the limit is 100! One of the main reasons I got the Premium Membership was so I can have bookmarks :mad:. (and of course to support Geocaching...) But I love Bookmarks!

3) Is the link to preview Pocket Queries on the Google Map gone? I hope this is not permanent.

Before when you were logging several caches from a previous day the date would stay the same and now when I log another cache it goes back to today's date.

I liked it when it would stay the date I set.

Also I am having map issues. On my maps there is large blank areas that say "We are sorry, but we don't have maps at this zoom level for this region. Try zooming out for a broader look."

I have looked at these maps for the same zoom level on the old maps ok and on the Google Map site and they have them, so I am not sure if these are different maps or if something is wrong.

Using Firefox 2.0.0.6 and Windows XP. :mad:

EDIT TO ADD:

I just went back to zoom out on the map and got this in a pop up box:

"EO.Web Controls Client Side Debug Message:

The callback on 'cbAjax' has failed due to a server side exception. Please check the server side code.

You can turn this message off by setting EO.Web.Runtime.DebugLevel to 0 (Not recommended for debug build)."

I clicked the OK because it was the only thing I could do. Now I have no map at all only floating icons on a blank back ground even when zoomed a good bit out. :(

I even have the star and smilie icons even though the box is checked to hide them.

Edited by ParentsofSAM

The old maps feature for TBs isn't working at all

Also, if you list all the caches you've found, it still lists them 20 at a time and total records at the bottom shows the number of pages to view. In addition there is another "total records" just below that says you are viewing page 1 of 0!

What i don't like about the new maps.

- without the cache index, the map is completely useless as a printout.

- you can't doublesize it anymore, so you are restricted to a small strip

- when you move outside of an area no caches are shown - since there is no indication of the area border you can never be quite sure if you are just outside the area or if there aren't any caches at the location you are looking

- What is the point of the zoom to address feature, if no caches are shown (because too far from origin?)

- "found" webcams don't show up as a smiley

Also displaying the waypoint code and country at the beginning of the title is not very helpful when it gets truncated. Please start with the cache name (as it used to be).

I also don't like the new, larger font size. :( I'm viewing the pages with Opera 9.1 on Win XP Media edition.

And, I also don't care for the fact that the date doesn't stay the same. I am logging caches this morning that I found yesterday and have had to change the date each time. :mad:

On 1600x1200 screen when browser is maximized i hit the 15 miles boundary pretty fast - i have to make the window float and make it narrower to be able to zoom out and not violate the 15 mile limit.

Pleeease remove the 15 mile limit, it is so... limiting, when looking at rural areas.

Pleeease give us back the ability to show pq's on a map

TIA

Jakob Vels

PROS:

- Looks very nice

- Like the ability to identify a cache by putting your mouse on it

- Ability to remove found and places caches

CONS:

- Text Size...TOO BIG

- When I scroll along a route the map freezes

- 15 mile max is AWFUL for remote areas. Can you make it a 15 mile max IF the program detects more than x# of caches in an given area?

Can you add:

- the ability to remove NOT found caches (so I can see either all my found, or all my placed caches)

- the ability to see ONLY a specific users caches would be a GREAT feature

and as I write this I see they have reverted back to the old map style

I wanted to say thanks for all of your hard work on this, it must be frustrating for you to reveal all your hard work and get these flood of comments (mine included). Good luck getting the kwirks out. Most of what I saw was a great improvement!

You deserve a drink (or a few) and nice dinner.

Hi Raine and the programmers.

Thanks for the great new maps. I am planning an outing tonight, and already got addicted to them. Do you have an estimate of when they will be put back live again? A hour? Tomorrow? Thanks.

Edited by abnerone

Raine and the rest of the programmers,

I really like the ability to select which type of caches to display on the map as well as the ability to remove caches that I already have found from the map. Things were a bit sluggish overall, but overall I liked it. Having the caches listed on the side might be a nice touch, but I don't see this as a necessity for me. I really disliked the old interface mainly because I couldn't remove all my found caches from the map. It made it too difficult to find unfound caches in the high cache density area that I live in.

Thanks for the hard work. I look forward to seeing the final product!

When I scrolled the map over, I got this message:

EO. Web Controls Client Side Debug Message:

I just got that as well (6pm CST) But after that I got a page that stated that there is server maintenance going on. I assumed that the error was due to that. If so, it will go away. If not, then there's a problem with scrolling.

I think (so far!) that I actually like the new maps. But tonight it was taking me about 45 seconds to see the data about another cache. Perhaps that is also because of the maintenance?

Sounds like most everyone has some small problems with the new Google maps, for me the problem is much larger, when I click on "view Map" I get no street info or any identifying stuff. The only thing that pops up is a little number 1,2,3, etc., which matches the cache name on the right side of the screen, but nothing that shows me where it is at. I've tried IE v6 and Netscape v8, and still get nothing. Can you help please????

I'm using FireFox 2.0.0.6 on both Ubuntu and Windows XP. The web pages look the same and behave the same for me regardless of OS.

The new maps are very nice except the 15 mile max "feature". I like to google map my way through various trips I make and the 15 mile max "feature" doesn't allow me to do a lot of the overview searching I used to be able to do.

I too would like to be able to zoom out further in areas that less cache dense. Yes, quite a few areas still exist. You just have to get away from the cities.

Here's a wierd bug. On the gc-google map, once you search for waymarks, you can no longer scroll the map from side to side or zoom in and out. That's pretty annoying.

Using IE 6 at work.

That doesn't happen for me. I did notice that once you moved the map all the waymarks went away and you had to click on the search for waymarks link to get them to show up again. It would be nice if the show waymark option had a check box like the cache types.

The icons on the new Google maps are too small. If you are only going to show up to 15 caches, please enlarge the icons. They pretty much disappear when you click to satellite mode, making it hard to see in a busy picture of downtown or the suburbs.

Oh, and the font is way too BIG!!!

You guys shrank the cache page size when you had the right column extend to the bottom of the page, now with the the larger font the pages are a mess. Some of us take the time to craft a nice page and this just crams everything together. Again, I hope this is just temporary.

I didn't notice any significant change in text size.

Sounds like most everyone has some small problems with the new Google maps, for me the problem is much larger, when I click on "view Map" I get no street info or any identifying stuff. The only thing that pops up is a little number 1,2,3, etc., which matches the cache name on the right side of the screen, but nothing that shows me where it is at. I've tried IE v6 and Netscape v8, and still get nothing. Can you help please????

Hello, is anyone out there!!!!!?????

I don't like the new date format when logging a cache. It is American Format. Think about the rest of the world guys!

Huh??? Where's that? :lol:;):lol:

You are laughing, but sometimes I have the feeling that some Americans are serious about this.

Why not use the W3C and ISO standard for date formats which is yyyy-mm-dd ?

Would be fair for all of us