The New Site changes

stepshep

I came home tonight to log a DNF and noticed some site changes! While I really like the new way set your log date, I don't like the new text size. On any geocache page, the text is all distorted from how it used to be. I can kinda fix it by changing my text size view, but then have to change it back to what I usualy for all other websites.

XP SP2

IE6

Thanks for a great site!

Yes, the new maps ROCK. I especially like the ability that premium members now have to hide their prior finds and their owned caches, so you can scan an area just for unfound caches. And I like that all the caches in the area (not just 20) are shown (but you can exclude any cache type you don't want to see). And that the map is bigger. And the coded pushpins are gone. And that you can identify a cache's name by hovering the mouse over the cache icon. And that the cache info. can be pulled up by clicking on the cache icon, and is easier to work with than the old format.

Yep, I'm liking those maps, I like them a lot.

Thanks to the lackeys for all the behind the scenes work, too, which makes the site run more efficiently.

Yes, the new maps ROCK. I especially like the ability that premium members now have to hide their prior finds and their owned caches, so you can scan an area just for unfound caches. And I like that all the caches in the area (not just 20) are shown (but you can exclude any cache type you don't want to see). And that the map is bigger. And the coded pushpins are gone. And that you can identify a cache's name by hovering the mouse over the cache icon. And that the cache info. can be pulled up by clicking on the cache icon, and is easier to work with than the old format.

Yep, I'm liking those maps, I like them a lot.

Thanks to the lackeys for all the behind the scenes work, too, which makes the site run more efficiently.

Ya! All of that for me too! :(

I am also with the others on the text size. :surprise:

The new maps are nice except the 15 mile max "feature". I don't live in a super saturated cache area and like to google map my way through various trips I make. The 15 mile max "feature" doesn't allow me to do a lot of the overview searching I used to be able to do :( In fact I have a couple caches in an area where my family lives which, other than a single cache, there aren't any even within 15 miles...the 15 mile "feature" may be nice for Seattle but in the Midwest I must say I don't care for it...

Plus the "old" state maps are broken so I cannot even use that option :surprise:

Okay, enough ranting...I will use the "it just came on, let's wait and let them make the tweaks" mindset and wait a week or so for the additional improvements!

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: type

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: type

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: type]

System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.RegisterStartupScript(Type type, String key, String script, Boolean addScriptTags) +2123599

System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.RegisterStartupScript(Type type, String key, String script) +14

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.BuildCachePage() +25641

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +80

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1832

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +560

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

this comes up every time I click on a cache

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832

And that you can identify a cache's name by hovering the mouse over the cache icon.

I am using the latest version of Firefox and the name is not displayed when I hover. However if I use IE it does work.

Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks!!

I do like the new and improved site!!

And that you can identify a cache's name by hovering the mouse over the cache icon.

I am using the latest version of Firefox and the name is not displayed when I hover. However if I use IE it does work.

Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks!!

I do like the new and improved site!!

I'm using the latest firefox and when I hover over a geocache icon the name of the geocache appears for me. Did you try emptying your cache folder or temp internet files or whatever its called now?

When I drag the map to a new location, like panning up and down a highway, the "hide my finds and owned caches" setting does not seem to be persistent. When I reposition the map, I have to re-check the boxes to hide my finds and hides. Should the "hide" checkmarks stay the way that the user selected, or is this a limitation with which we must live?

I am on Windows XP running Firefox v2.0.0.6.

When I look at the map I can get the listing but I don't know which listing goes with which geocache unless I do a rollover and that is only one what is missing is some way of correlating the listings with all the caches on the map. On the old maps there were numbers that did that. Is there a way that I'm not seeing.

I use this to print the map to take along and that would not work at this point.

Is there a way to label the place marker?

I am using Firefox browser.

I did try IE and did not get any maps.

Thanks

PDF file generation seems broken. Using Firefox 1.5.0.12 if it matters.

GO$Rs

Server Error in '/' Application.
Could not load file or assembly 'ABCpdf, Version=5.0.2.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a7a0b3f5184f2169' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ABCpdf, Version=5.0.2.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a7a0b3f5184f2169' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'ABCpdf, Version=5.0.2.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a7a0b3f5184f2169' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Stack Trace:

[FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ABCpdf, Version=5.0.2.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a7a0b3f5184f2169' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
  Geocaching.UI.cache_details_print.BuildPDF() in C:\Geolegacy2.0\Web\Geolegacy.200\seek\cache_details_print.aspx.vb:834
  Geocaching.UI.cache_details_print.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Geolegacy2.0\Web\Geolegacy.200\seek\cache_details_print.aspx.vb:129
  Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() in C:\Geolegacy2.0\Web\Geolegacy.200\App_Data\WebFormBase.vb:768
  Geocaching.UI.cache_details_print.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Geolegacy2.0\Web\Geolegacy.200\seek\cache_details_print.aspx.vb:838
  System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
  System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
  System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832

I agree at how cool the new maps are. I didn't realize that their was anything different until I came over here to the forums and saw people raving over new maps....so I just had to go check them out.

How awesome is that? You lacky folks have been doing an outstanding job on the site.

I will echo the part about the text size on the site being pretty large....and I will echo the post that had to do with the premium feature of filtering out finds on the map not being consistent. Everytime I scroll to another part of the map I have to uncheck and recheck the filter box because the smileys reappear!

The new maps are NICE! I haven't noticed a change in the font size like others have mentioned in the posts before me. Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into the changes!!!
I have not noticed any font change either and I am using Firefox 2.0 and thanks guys! I do like these maps much better too! :surprise: Edited by TrailGators

When you say

Plus the "old" state maps are broken so I cannot even use that option

Do you mean these?

http://www.geocaching.com/map/AL.asp

That works for me.

-Raine

http://www.geocaching.com/map/AL.asp - is broken if you are logged in. If you are not logged in it works.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

E:\INETPUB\200708.GEOCACHING.COM\MAP\../includes/html_header_bridge.asp, line 28

The new maps are NICE! I haven't noticed a change in the font size like others have mentioned in the posts before me. Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into the changes!!!
I have noticed any font change either and I am using Firefox 2.0 and thanks guys! I do like these maps much better too! :surprise:

Yeah, looks like the 'giant fonts' is definitely an IE specific issue.

I have noticed any font change either and I am using Firefox 2.0 and thanks guys! I do like these maps much better too! :surprise:

Yeah, looks like the 'giant fonts' is definitely an IE specific issue.

I corrected my post. I do not have this issue with Firefox. Let me try IE....

Even though this thread seems mostly about the changes to the maps, I was wondering if another change causes all cache pages to display a default "User's Web Page" at the top. Before the link only showed up if the cache hider put a link on the listing. Now every page has it and I don't like it because if the hider hasn't defined a link it just reopens the page I'm looking at in a another window.

When I see a link at the top of the listing I usually expect something like the city's page about the park where the cache is hidden, a puzzle hint, or something else that might be useful for the hunt. It's far less useful now for those purposes.

lost the ability to preview maps in the pocket query. I loved that feature, especially since I am heading on a road trip this weekend.

I just checked and noticed the pocket query preview in google maps icons are gone. :( Are they coming back?

Please bring those back!!! :surprise:

P.S. The fonts are fine for me with the latest versions of IE, Firefox and Opera. :D

Not sure why the user's webpage is shown on every page. Love the new maps!!!!!!! Those are awesome!! I also noticed when logging a find that there is a calendar, but it is not clickable. I figured it would show a full calendar then you could click on the date and have it set that way. Text is still way too big. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

lost the ability to preview maps in the pocket query. I loved that feature, especially since I am heading on a road trip this weekend.

I just checked and noticed the pocket query preview in google maps icons are gone. :surprise: Are they coming back?

noooooo :(

The PQ preview in google maps was one of the best features.

Looks like it hasn't been implemented yet for the new google maps. But it was just 'commented out' rather than deleted in the source of the PQ page, so i suspect they plan to reimplement it.

I just checked and noticed the pocket query preview in google maps icons are gone. :surprise: Are they coming back?

Please bring those back!!! :(

P.S. The fonts are fine for me with the latest versions of IE, Firefox and Opera. :D

I doubt that. Unless you have Andale Mono installed perhaps? (doesn't come with windows by default)

We're talking about the Fonts on the cache page, not the google maps page.

I gotta say I love the new google maps. I like how I can pick and chose what caches I see, filter out finds and caches I own. I also like how you are able to look at where Waymarks are located, and even have their own icon that goes with their category. Keep up the good work! I can hardly wait for the new toys that come up when the site gets totally re written!!

I agree with most of the sentiments above.

The new maps *are* lovely. They're not perfect, but they're a definite improvement.

1) 15 miles is too restrictive. If you're looking at anything but urban areas, it's a problem. The min zoom level should probably be a function of caches displayed and not purely distance.

2) It forgets the 'exclude found' status too easily, frequently requiring a toggle off/on to make it work as expected.

3) The elimination of pointless javascript returning the ability to middle click (open in new tab) in te balloons rules!

4( The integration with Waymarking is cute, but it seems to interact badly with areas of cache density.

5) it looks like the lat/lon fliip in cache//route preview is corrected. Yay!

6) Preview of PQ will be *badly* missed if it really was intentionally deleted.

7) The "view caches in Earth" option didn't work for me, so I couldn't confirm if the y ellow pushpin problem made the cut or not.

In all, a nice enhancement/fix. Thanx!

Couple of things:

1. When I was activating a geocoin the system bombed when I tried to input the date released and origin info and now I can't add them. :surprise:

2. I get a heap of "trace" info when I show my "My Account" page - the page is OK but has all this stuff below it. :(