Garmin GPSMAP 60CS

I just received my Garmin GPSMAP 60CS (woohoo) and have been trying all day to get it to acquire a satellite lock.

I've left it out for 45 minutes...nothing

Told it where I'm located...nothing

Checked for latest software on Garmin, it is version 4.2...still nothing

Read the very helpful topics on this forum, tried holding Page and Enter while powering up to reboot it...nothing

Everything else seems to work fine. Downloaded MapSoure MetroGuide maps.

I used to own a Magellan Meridian Gold...I don't remember it having so much trouble on the first satellite location.

So, I wonder, should I take it out to a soccer field? My backyard is surrounded by trees, but there is a decent amount of overhead sky visible...just wonder if it isn't enough?

(I admit it, it's a refurb unit off eBay...)

Any suggestions?

--Anxious to play...

From the description, you have plenty of sky view for it to lock onto a satellite (or SV as they are called).

Check the setup on the GPSr to be sure it is set for autolocate. In autolocate mode, the GPSr will always find the SVs by searching the sky. That does take a few tens of minutes usually and it is best to leave the GPSr sitting on a table, with full view of the sky, undisturbed for several minutes to autolocate and lock.

Anyway, that is my thoughts...

good luck...

I just received my Garmin GPSMAP 60CS (woohoo) and have been trying all day to get it to acquire a satellite lock.

I've left it out for 45 minutes...nothing

Told it where I'm located...nothing

Checked for latest software on Garmin, it is version 4.2...still nothing

Read the very helpful topics on this forum, tried holding Page and Enter while powering up to reboot it...nothing

Everything else seems to work fine. Downloaded MapSoure MetroGuide maps.

I used to own a Magellan Meridian Gold...I don't remember it having so much trouble on the first satellite location.

So, I wonder, should I take it out to a soccer field? My backyard is surrounded by trees, but there is a decent amount of overhead sky visible...just wonder if it isn't enough?

(I admit it, it's a refurb unit off eBay...)

Any suggestions?

--Anxious to play...

Will admit that I don't know every malady that a 60CS could have...although I've owned

one for over 2 years, and never had trouble acquiring the satellites. You mentioned a soccer

field...I'd go there, prop your 60CS up in the vertical position (antenna works best that way)

and let it sit for as long as necessary...including acquiring the WAAS satellite(s) and downloading

their almanac too. Those trees you mentioned might just be blocking enough satellites that are

on the horizon...so that your 60CS doesn't see them...cycling through all the satellites until it

finds one with a strong enough signal can take some time...less time if your GPSr can see all

that are available. Good luck.

Bill

My 60cs has done that a few times. Mostly because of long periods with out batteries installed. I found that to enable sat lock is while holding in the enter button push and hold the power button until it turns on. You should see a diagnostics screen. Be sure it is receiving a siganal... something like 16xx or 17xx and showing elevation. After about 2 mins turn off the unit and back on normally. Should start picking up sats right away.

Thanks for all the suggestions...

So far, not so good.

Tried the large field...after 45 minutes nothing.

Tried GPSTrekkers suggestion. The diagnostics screen indicates a signal of about 1701. Powered it off and back on, now it is just "locating satellites" but that can go on for hours with no change.

Anyone know what the difference is between "locating satellites" and "acquiring satellites". It's done both with no success :surprise:

The unit thinks it is July 9, 2007 and it thought it was in the Garmin U.S. factory. Is there anyway to tell it what the actual day is? Does it even matter?

Thanks again for the suggestions..

Thanks Jim W

I read through the post and tried all of those things earlier today. The only thing I'm not sure how to do is the "master reset" mentioned in the thread. I will post my question there and see what results.

If all else fails, I'll put fresh batteries in it and leave it outside for a night !

I've had farily good success with my 60cs. It does take a few minutes to lock into a satellite under normal conditions, but more than 10 minutes would be under heavy tree cover or densely overcast sky. Also, there may be unusually solar activity on certain days which make it difficult to lock in. There was gps disruption on April 10. You can get daily activity here: http://www.n3kl.org/sun/noaa.html

Thanks for the info.

I called Garmin Tech Support. They agree the unit is defective, but because I am in Canada, they can't offer warranty service or replacement. They gave me the contact number of a place in Quebec but they just directed me to their website...www.raytech.com. Sadly, it seems I can pay more money to ship it and have it repaired, because there's no way to ensure it will be covered under any kind of warranty....ouch...I've had good luck with purchases of eBay, but this will teach me a lesson...

Thanks for the info.

I called Garmin Tech Support. They agree the unit is defective, but because I am in Canada, they can't offer warranty service or replacement. They gave me the contact number of a place in Quebec but they just directed me to their website...www.raytech.com. Sadly, it seems I can pay more money to ship it and have it repaired, because there's no way to ensure it will be covered under any kind of warranty....ouch...I've had good luck with purchases of eBay, but this will teach me a lesson...

If you haven't tried it yet, the master reset might work; it's worth a try before you give up and try to get it repaired. I've never had to use it myself, and don't recall the exact sequence (something like depressing two or three buttons while turning it on). The other thing that might work is reinstalling the firmware; worth a shot before taking more drastic measures. Good luck in getting it working.