ALR in general

FireRef

It is my understanding that ALR's (which I did a search for, along with Additional Logging Requirements, finding nothing) are permitted for caches, as long as they meet the following minimum requirements:

1) Must be listed as an Unknown cache type

2) Must have a physical container with a log

What kind of ALR's, other than photos and emails, have been required for caches that you are aware of? And would they still be legal today, as long as the cache meets the 2 requirements above, to get a cache published today?

I've seen ALRs that...

- require that you have under or over X amount of finds in order to log the cache.

- require you post your log in some sort of verse.

- require you e-mail a code found inside the cache to the owner (of course there also needs to be a logbook).

- require that the cache be some sort of milestone (e.g. 100th find)

- require that you trade

- require that you trade TB for TB (In TB hotels)

- require that you hide your own cache within x days (some spewer, ummm I mean spawner caches require this).

- require that your log conform to some arbitrary standard set by the cache owner (e.g. No cut and paste).

- require that you stick to some sort of theme with your trades.

I've seen ALRs that...

- require that you have under or over X amount of finds in order to log the cache.

- require you e-mail a code found inside the cache to the owner (of course there also needs to be a logbook).

- require that you trade

- require that you hide your own cache within x days (some spewer, ummm I mean spawner caches require this).

- require that your log conform to some arbitrary standard set by the cache owner (e.g. No cut and paste).

- require that you tell a joke in your log.

I've seen ALRs that...

- require that you trade

Some of those are just plain obnoxious. Under/over finds, Milestone. Hide a cache, and the cu de gra TB trades.

I will give the others a try and love to play along with the game. I only have one hide that really has no theme and was kind of a grab the area before others do. I am all for ALR's if it add enjoyment or quality to the log.

Liar's cache.
Aww... you stole my answer.

For those who don't know, a liar's cache requires that you tell exactly how difficult it was to find the cache, how you needed the help of 10 Shirpas to scale the nearly impossible cliff on the far side of the raging river with class 5 rapids, fight off a grizzly bear, and then how you nearly fell to your death as you base jumped back to the relative safety of the quicksand pits, where the cache could be found in the den of cobras. :(

Of course, I have no idea why it would be called a liar's cache, as it is only fair that you warn the next guy to attempt it exactly what they are in store for... :surprise:

Tell a story

Make up a rhyme

(I know because those are mine - however, I dropped them as "requirements" to log and changed them to "requests to please") Maybe they don't count anymore - only about 70% of logs "play" along. The others are just ordninary logs. I really like it when they play along though........I won't delete.

Liar's cache.
Aww... you stole my answer.

For those who don't know, a liar's cache requires that you tell exactly how difficult it was to find the cache, how you needed the help of 10 Shirpas to scale the nearly impossible cliff on the far side of the raging river with class 5 rapids, fight off a grizzly bear, and then how you nearly fell to your death as you base jumped back to the relative safety of the quicksand pits, where the cache could be found in the den of cobras. :mad:

Of course, I have no idea why it would be called a liar's cache, as it is only fair that you warn the next guy to attempt it exactly what they are in store for... :(

I love those. I enjoy writing detailed log entries, especially if the cache was a good one. Letting my imagination run wild is even better.

Little Whistler (age 5) wanted to put a pair of Groucho Marx glasses in his cache and include a disposable camera. The logging requirement would be to take a picture of yourself wearing the glasses. I persuaded him not to do it!

We recently visited a nice cache where you had to leave a photo of yourself in a photo album that was inside the cache. It was a lot of fun to look at the pics of the other cachers.

We visited one cache where the trade items had to be left in alphabetical order. When we visited, we had to take the Volkswagon, and we left a Whistle. The next visitor had to take our Whistle and he left an X-ray. You also had to post in your log what you left so the next person would know what to bring. It cute and not a burden to find a trade item with the correct letter.

There is one in our area where you have to post a nursery rhyme, and another where you have to post a recipe. Also one where you have to discuss your favorite type of pickles!

I guess its only a requirement if the cache owner deletes you log when you don't meet the requirement. Many owners ask for particular logs or themed trades but do not require them. My understanding is that these cacn still be listed as traditional caches. (A reviewer can correct me if I'm wrong). I've also seen caches that require either a themed trade or no trade. My guess is that a no trade option makes it OK to be listed as traditional as well.

I have two caches that have optional requirements. One is a fortune cookie cache. It requires you to take a fortune and leave a fortune. Blank slips are provided for writing your own fortune if you don't have a fortune from a fortune cookie. You are asked to tell in the log what fortune you took. The other is my trade down cache. You are asked to leave a broken McToy, used golf ball, rock you found near the cache, or other junk trade item. You are not required to take anything.

One of my favorite ALR caches was one that requires that you write your log in a foreign language. Some people have used pig latin and one nerd wrote perl script that you have to execute to see his log.

There's one in Mississippi (I think it's still there) that contains a huge pair of sunglasses and a cardboard guitar. You have to post a picture of yourself doing your best ZZ Top impersonation.

There's also "Pretty in Pink" (GCVFP3) in UK. Nice ideas in this thread. Thanks :o

Sandvika.