Roadmate 700

BillyBean

I know this is off the geocache subject, but my father has a Magellan Roadmate 700. Lately it has been going nuts. Sometimes it tells you that you have arrived at your destination (home for example) and we are 5 miles away in a cornfield. It is doing several things out of the ordinary. I called Magellan today and the woman was very hard to understand, but from what I got from our conversation it will cost me $150 to send it out for service. Has anybody had any dealings with Magellan and their customer service or repair? I want to call back and hopefully talk to someone that I can understand and get the scoop. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks

You won't get anyone you can understand. I have called them on several occassions and english is not the first language. $150.00 is about right to send it into service. I had a 700 which I paid another $100.00 to convert it to a 760 with a software upgrade. Well worth the money at the time. Also flashing the firmware if you have an old version might help also. Check it out.

You won't get anyone you can understand. I have called them on several occassions and english is not the first language. $150.00 is about right to send it into service. I had a 700 which I paid another $100.00 to convert it to a 760 with a software upgrade. Well worth the money at the time. Also flashing the firmware if you have an old version might help also. Check it out.

For Christmas, we updated it to the 760. So unless there is a newer version since then, I think I'm up to date. I sent them an email too, but have not heard back from them.

For Christmas, we updated it to the 760. So unless there is a newer version since then, I think I'm up to date. I sent them an email too, but have not heard back from them.

Nope you have the latest firmware.

Unfortunely they never answer email either. Last time I called I kept calling till I got someone I go somewhat understand. It took 25 attempts but I did get someone who spoke engligh fairly well without any thick accent.

Nope you have the latest firmware.

Unfortunely they never answer email either. Last time I called I kept calling till I got someone I go somewhat understand. It took 25 attempts but I did get someone who spoke engligh fairly well without any thick accent.

So, it looks like thier customer service is either not very good or very hard to talk with. I couldn't understand what the $150 would do? Will they fix it no matter what for the $150, or do they replace it with a refurbished model, and since I upgraded to the 760, if it is replaced, will it also be upgraded?

Yeh the $150.00 is their flat rate repair. You still have to call to get a RMA number though. Be very clear with them that this is a upgraded 700 and put a note on a sticky note in the box stating that and stick it right to the unit with tape. Worst case scenario if they send you another one you can just re upgrade and get a new serial number for the upgrade to the 760.