two issues with my etrex

gnarly_nick

I have cables (serial as well as the usb conversion cable) for my etrex, and I've downloaded the most current drivers, but my pc can't see it when I plug it in. Has anybody else had this problem, and solved it? Also, since I have a mac g3 powerbook as well, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any software (maybe shareware, if possible) that works really well on the mac?

Using my gpsr and laptop in unison for road trips is highly appealing, and I'd love to try it, but I just don't have the time for trial and error... if anybody's got this all figured out, I'd love to hear how they did it.

Thanks!

Hi, Red90-

Thanks for your post - I'm currently looking for software for my mac, if there IS any, and I'm trying to get some help on how the heck to get the drivers working for it on my pc... I've downloaded them, but STILL my gpsr won't show up. If I can find some good mac software, I'll use it... do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Geojournal - Great for geocachers

MacCaching - For cachers too

GPS Babel+ - Basic conversion and waypoint/poi transfers

LoadMyTracks - Basically the same, but allows to uploads your tracks

There sure are others that I do not know, but the most popular are here.

Garmin is also on the way to offer mapsource for mac.

Edit: As for the drivers... If there was a CD with your eTrex, then use it. Else they are on Garmin's website.

Also you don't need drivers to use these apps.

Edited by lewis82

Do you have a Palm or other type item that will use the serial port? We recently picked up a Palm and that locked up the serial port on our laptop causing MapSource to no longer see the GPS. I had to install the newest MapSource at home to get the USB to work as I found the serial to stop working there also, our older GPS units do not have USB and the Laptop has a problem with the USB port (stress and broken connections between the port and PCB board, have to take it apart again but have to work on the power again also). The desktop problem is also the Palm software causing the issue, but did not figure it out until I had to on the road. To get MapSource (or nRoute, of which I don't like) to connect through the serial, I had to turn off the Palm software. For the Mac, I have not found anything I like yet for waypoint management or mapping as I prefer to use the Mac, so we bought an old Dell laptop and my better half has a PC desktop.

We recently had a the same or very similiar issues when we switched from an ancient PC to our laptops for downloading to the Etrexs.

WindowsXP would recognize the hardware but at the same time wouldn't recognize any port.

Finally, after much frustration and re-booting/playing/plugging and testing each part of the system it was discovered that the whole thing worked just fine when you plugged the Etrex/serial/USB combination in BEFORE you turned on the laptop.

No idea why it works that way and not any other way and it's certainly a pain to have to shut down the whole system so that you can download to the Etrex but it works fine that way.

I mean what software are you using on the PC? You need software to communicate with the GPS. Is this a regular etrex? We need to know the exact model. If it is a regular one, there are no driver. It uses the serial port, which is driverless.

I'm using GSAK, with the regular eTrex - it works for me on my PC at work, and I thought it might do the same for me at home (running the same operating system), but it just seems that, though the gps is plugged in either in the serial or usb ports (with the adapter), it just isn't seen. Do you think it's a setting I can change on the eTrex? I haven't found the setting yet, if so - any ideas?

Sure appreciate the info, everyone.

Edited by gnarly_nick

Do you have the setting correct within GSAK? It defaults to Magellan. You need to specifiy the type of GPS and the port.

If that is OK, then you must have a setup problem with the port on the computer. Go into "System" and then "Device Manager" under the "Hardware" tab and then under "ports" to see if the COM port is enabled and working.

I use GPS Babel with my eTrex Legend cx and a Mac G4. The GPS doesn't show up on my screen either but once I get into the program I can tell the computer to send the gpx file to the GPS.

I have cables (serial as well as the usb conversion cable) for my etrex, and I've downloaded the most current drivers, but my pc can't see it when I plug it in. Has anybody else had this problem, and solved it? Also, since I have a mac g3 powerbook as well, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any software (maybe shareware, if possible) that works really well on the mac?

Using my gpsr and laptop in unison for road trips is highly appealing, and I'd love to try it, but I just don't have the time for trial and error... if anybody's got this all figured out, I'd love to hear how they did it.

Thanks!

I have cables (serial as well as the usb conversion cable) for my etrex, and I've downloaded the most current drivers, but my pc can't see it when I plug it in. Has anybody else had this problem, and solved it?

Thanks!

I had this problem and found that the cable must be FIRMLY attached to the eTrex. When I pushed it down very hard, then my PC and gsak had no problem finding the eTrex.