Caching Along A Route Problem

Geckolovers

I have used the feature "Caching Along A Route" successfully in the past, but now I am having problems.

I went to Google Earth, entered my start and end destinations in Directions, saved as a .kml and it is in the folder. But when I go back to Geocaching.com and try to upload, it's not working. I browse and find the file, click to open, but it does not open or upload. I check "created routes" to see if it slipped in there unnoticed, but none of the routes are there.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. It has always been a pretty straightforward process in the past. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Geckolovers

I have used the feature "Caching Along A Route" successfully in the past, but now I am having problems.

I went to Google Earth, entered my start and end destinations in Directions, saved as a .kml and it is in the folder. But when I go back to Geocaching.com and try to upload, it's not working. I browse and find the file, click to open, but it does not open or upload. I check "created routes" to see if it slipped in there unnoticed, but none of the routes are there.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. It has always been a pretty straightforward process in the past. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Just ran one. Worked perfectly. Perhaps you ought to try again. :(:(:blink:

If it is not working, how did you find a file? In order to have a created route, you must first save it. This is done right after clicking the 'upload' button.

Edited by Team Cotati

Thanks!

Just ran one. Worked perfectly. Perhaps you ought to try again. :P:D:)

If it is not working, how did you find a file? In order to have a created route, you must first save it. This is done right after clicking the 'upload' button.

Thanks, Cotati, I had earlier looked over some previous posts and followed a link you had posted for---I think it was "UTAG"---and I had done exactly as instructions/tutorial says. I have tried to upload the different routes several times and they will not upload---so I cannot save. I am wondering if I might have a firewall or something that is blocking---I am not so computer-literate so unless I am told precisely what to do... I guess I'll just do PQ's for zip codes along the way, which won't be nearly as efficient, but will work in a pinch. Of course, this stuff always happens in the time crunch right before you leave on vacation!!!!

Thanks!

Just ran one. Worked perfectly. Perhaps you ought to try again. :(B):(

Thanks, Cotati, I had earlier looked over some previous posts and followed a link you had posted for---I think it was "UTAG"---and I had done exactly as instructions/tutorial says. I have tried to upload the different routes several times and they will not upload---so I cannot save. I am wondering if I might have a firewall or something that is blocking---I am not so computer-literate so unless I am told precisely what to do... I guess I'll just do PQ's for zip codes along the way, which won't be nearly as efficient, but will work in a pinch. Of course, this stuff always happens in the time crunch right before you leave on vacation!!!!

I don't recall posting that link but it matters not.

If you want, just email me thru my profile all of the particulars for your route/trip and I'll run it for you and email you the results. Will that work for you? I could have this ready for you within an hour or less barring any strange problems or interruptions here.

Diff, terr, distance from route, how many, begin and end point.......you know that stuff. ;-)

Look forward to hearing from you.

Go for it Dude!! :blink::D:D

Edited by Team Cotati

Hey, that's Dudette to you! And thanks so much for the offer, too bad I got it too late---some times life gets in the way of my pursuit of caching!

I wouldn't have taken you up on your kind gesture in any case, because I couldn't impose. It's one of those complicated messes, where you have to trick Google Earth because the route they advise is more direct than scenic, so you have to run routes from town to town. There's about six (argh) all together.

But it was great of you to offer your time to help me out. You are a NICE PERSON! Blessings on you and your house (and your GPS!)!

It's one of those complicated messes, where you have to trick Google Earth because the route they advise is more direct than scenic, so you have to run routes from town to town. There's about six (argh) all together.

I have had trouble recently with combining routes and trying to upload that to Groundspeak. Methods that worked in the past are no longer working. Since there are numerous issues with "caching along a route" I am attributing my problems to that.

Okay, I resolved my problem. It was all my fault and I am embarrassed but am coming clean in case anyone else ever experiences the same problem and does a search of the forum and happens on these postings.

I have a wireless mouse that has been getting cranky of late---behaving erratically, etc. Well, when I clicked on the Directions to save, my pointer was not right where it was supposed to be. It was fractionally below the top of the directions with the begin and end locations. Well, that was enough to keep it from saving properly. I should have caught it when I kept having to type in a file description, but I don't do "caching along a route" often enough to remember precisely how everything works.

So a simple error, a simple resolution, and I'm still rolling my eyes!

It's one of those complicated messes, where you have to trick Google Earth because the route they advise is more direct than scenic, so you have to run routes from town to town. There's about six (argh) all together.

I have had trouble recently with combining routes and trying to upload that to Groundspeak. Methods that worked in the past are no longer working. Since there are numerous issues with "caching along a route" I am attributing my problems to that.

Combining routes sounds interesting, how does that work exactly? :grin:

Edited by Team Cotati

Well, I am not an expert and really hope some expert will jump in to tell me how to really do this. What I want is to define a route through certain points...not just from point A to B... and use that in PQs.

In the good old days, you could get output from Google Maps in kml format that would include multiple legs. That could be saved and "presto", you were there. (More accurately, you could get it in js format and someone had a conversion to turn that output into a route.) But Google stopped letting that work last spring.

So I have done a number of things to get around this. Saved multiple route segments as KML, opened in Google Earth and copy&pasted to one route. Saved that as one route and uploaded to Groundspeak. I think that normally worked until the site changes a few months ago.

Other things I have tried is to take that KML with multiple routes and open with Notepad and take out all the extra information about routes so that it just had a big (single) list of coordinates, since I think Groundspeak was failing on the multiple routes.

That normally works but it is fairly tedious. It sometimes fails, perhaps because of distance and number of point limitations.

Please, if you have have a better way, tell us how.

(What would really be nice is if Groundspeak let us select multiple routes to combine into one...but I am not sure they have any interest in doing so.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

Well, I am not an expert and really hope some expert will jump in to tell me how to really do this. What I want is to define a route through certain points...not just from point A to B... and use that in PQs.

In the good old days, you could get output from Google Maps in kml format that would include multiple legs. That could be saved and "presto", you were there. (More accurately, you could get it in js format and someone had a conversion to turn that output into a route.) But Google stopped letting that work last spring.

So I have done a number of things to get around this. Saved multiple route segments as KML, opened in Google Earth and copy&pasted to one route. Saved that as one route and uploaded to Groundspeak. I think that normally worked until the site changes a few months ago.

Other things I have tried is to take that KML with multiple routes and open with Notepad and take out all the extra information about routes so that it just had a big (single) list of coordinates, since I think Groundspeak was failing on the multiple routes.

That normally works but it is fairly tedious. It sometimes fails, perhaps because of distance and number of point limitations.

Please, if you have have a better way, tell us how.

(What would really be nice is if Groundspeak let us select multiple routes to combine into one...but I am not sure they have any interest in doing so.)

I don't have any way at all, that is why I asked my question. Personally I have never viewed having to create separate routes as that big of a deal. You put them into the same GSAK database any way and then you are off to the races. I suppose that I have never had a route of travel that was convoluted enough to matter but I do sympathize with those who do.

Sometimes you want to go a less-convoluted route. Let's say, purely hypothetically of course, that you wanted to travel from Downtown Cotati, CA to my fair town of Davis, CA. Google Earth routes you through Novato and Vallejo to the south. While those are excellent caching destinations, my personal preference is the route through Napa and Sonoma. You can easily stay under 500 caches for that route, so I would want to make one route out of that as described above.

Perhaps someday we'll get the same route generation interface in Google Earth as Google Maps; (there you can insert via-points).