geotag pictures

Mourize

Nowadays you read a lot about geotagging. If you wanna go geocaching you need gps. It is obvious that you just need a digitalcamera in order to geotag pictures.

I tried different softwares. A lot oft them have ugly interfaces or are too complicated to handle. First i tried flickr. But Yahoo Maps is not very detailed, especially not in Germany. So i tried a lot of different things, like Fodysseus, TripTracker (very strange maps), RoboGeo and so on till i recognized www.locr.com. It is quite comfortable to use it and it works with Google Earth maps. Therefore the quality of the map is excellent.

If you have any suggestions or other websites that you prefer i would be thankfull to read something about that, so i can try them.

Thanks Mourize

Nowadays you read a lot about geotagging. If you wanna go geocaching you need gps. It is obvious that you just need a digitalcamera in order to geotag pictures.

I tried different softwares. A lot oft them have ugly interfaces or are too complicated to handle. First i tried flickr. But Yahoo Maps is not very detailed, especially not in Germany. So i tried a lot of different things, like Fodysseus, TripTracker (very strange maps), RoboGeo and so on till i recognized www.locr.com. It is quite comfortable to use it and it works with Google Earth maps. Therefore the quality of the map is excellent.

If you have any suggestions or other websites that you prefer i would be thankfull to read something about that, so i can try them.

Thanks Mourize

I'm also very interested - I have a Nikon D200 (which will recored data from a GPS with the photo) but don't want to spend $400 for the gps unit it will accept. An interfcace cable (that needs modification) is also available for $200 - also pretty pricey. I was hoping to find something that would work with my bluetooth GPS receiver.

I use RoboGeo to geotag all my digital images. I like it because it geotags automatically using my GPS tracklog and works with RAW image format (DNG). Both features are very important to me since I shoot 1000s of images all in RAW mode.

locr appears to have a lot of nice features, but I couldn't find on their website whether or not they support RAW image file types, like DNG or any of the proprietary formats. Or does it only support the JPG format? Maybe I'll just have to download it and give it a try... :(

The new triton 2000 magellan will do it. Can't wait for it to be out. All in one unit.

That does look like a cool unit, and its great to see a manufacturer moving in this direction. But the image quality of a built-in 2Mp camera won't suit my purposes. So, as usual, there is not one single solution that will fit everyone's needs...

The new triton 2000 magellan will do it. Can't wait for it to be out. All in one unit.

That does look like a cool unit, and its great to see a manufacturer moving in this direction. But the image quality of a built-in 2Mp camera won't suit my purposes. So, as usual, there is not one single solution that will fit everyone's needs...

Yeh I guess it depends on the quality of picture you need. For me it usally take a picture of the cache or the surrounding area to upload to the site. For better pictures I would use my Canon Rebel XTi but the geo-coding addon is very expensive for the canon and other SLR cameras.

This looks promising for about $100.00

http://www.gisteq.com/index-PT.html

Edited by storm180

hi rorywguin.

Thats all together really expensive. You could use a cheaper GPS receiver and geotag the fotos with a software special software later. But i must admit that is suboptimal.

I really like to have the Nokia N95 with integrated camera and GPS.

hi Sbacon

i have not idea which formats locr supports. But i think RAW datas are too big to upload.

You are correct, Mourize. The use of RAW format is more for photographers who intend to do more post processing on their images and print them in larger sizes. After I've completed the processing of my images to optimize the quality, I can then create different sized copies for web, print, etc. The nice thing about geotagging in RAW format is that it only has to be done once, at the beginning. Then the information is carried forward to all subsequent copies.

For those interested, you can see an example of how I use RoboGeo to create Google Earth files with embedded images in a recent travelogue to Mirror Lake, in Colorado's Indian Peaks Wilderness. The Google Earth link is at the bottom of the page, but you must have Google Earth installed to view it.

Edited by sbacon

I use GpicSync. Its free, GNU open source, very easy to use, and quite a small program. Perfect.

I have been keeping a tracklog of every hike for some time. The eXplorist does a great job of this. Just save the log at end of hike, get home and quick convert in GPSBabel to a .gpx file. Then it goes into SporTracks for statistics/totals daily/weekly/monthly.

Just got a new camera and been wanting to do some Geocoding. I had tried another program and did not like it. I just tried GPicSync today and I like it. Very simple, quick, and has some nice tools. Creates a KMZ file that shows on Google Earth with your track and "camera" icons. Click on the icon and it shows your photo. You can then save the file with or without the track showing.

ctreecoveaej0.jpg