Help wanted for Snowdon wheelchair summit

A bit of a cheek I know, but if you don’t ask……. <_<

This September marks my 25th wedding anniversary. When we married all that time ago Mrs FMC & I went to Snowdonia for our honeymoon :o and walked the Snowdon Horseshoe as the main event - well geocahing hadn't been invented then :o. I'd very much like to surprise her for this anniversary with perhaps champagne and strawberries on the summit. However, she now suffers from Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and consequently is confined to an electric wheelchair.

I can get her up Snowdon using the Snowdon Mountain Railway who I have contacted. However, the final few feet from the station to the summit platform are not accessible (see picture). I am therefore looking to see if I can interest a 'team' of fit folk to help carry her, and ideally her rather heavy chair, the last 20 to 30 feet. I have consequently contacted the Aberglaslyn Mountain Rescue Team to see if they know of any 'group' who may be able to assist or indeed can do so themselves.

Cachers

There are several caches on Snowdon (I plan for us to do a couple whilst we are up there link link – wouldn’t it be great to get them marked as wheelchair accessible?) so I thought that I would ask whether any local or holidaying cachers in the area would be willing to help make up the manpower? This would need to take place between say 8 to 12 September, I need to be flexible a few days either way should that prove necessary to accommodate any assisting group. If you are likely to be there in this period and would be willing to take part please contact me through my profile. If all goes ahead I am proposing to issue a press release and maybe get sponsorship to raise publicity/awareness for the assisting group, the mountain railway and possibly geocaching.

PS: Obviously, I am trying to keep this from my wife at the moment so can any local cachers please keep Mum?

daabcf5e-35e1-41b6-a6b1-f200b852f2d4.jpg

Like Deceangi I'm otherwise occupied in London on 10/11th Sept but if you could arrange the trip on the 12th then I reckon I could be up for it (as long as the train takes dogs!) Even Mrs Lactodorum says she fancies it :(:( !!

Sorry mate but unless a registered support dog the answer is No :blink:

Dogs

Only officially registered support dogs can travel on the trains and have access to the catering and retail facilities, as well as the Audio Visual Theatre. There is no charge levied for support dogs to travel. If you wish to take a registered support dog on the train, please advise us of this when you book the tickets.

It transpires that the railway is only operating up to Clogwyn Station (2,556 ft - 799 mts) this year due to renovation work at the summit station. That's half a mile from and 1,000 feet below the summit. :(

Rather than just give up I'm trying some military options but it's looking like Mrs FMC may well have to miss out. :mad:

If all fails I'll consider the Event idea, maybe for next year. Many thanks for the emails sent in support, I'm humbled - the geocaching community’s really great! :(

Sorry mate but unless a registered support dog the answer is No :grin:

Dogs

Only officially registered support dogs can travel on the trains and have access to the catering and retail facilities, as well as the Audio Visual Theatre. There is no charge levied for support dogs to travel. If you wish to take a registered support dog on the train, please advise us of this when you book the tickets.

Even then, the correct terminology is Registered Assistance Dog! :grin:

It transpires that the railway is only operating up to Clogwyn Station (2,556 ft - 799 mts) this year due to renovation work at the summit station. That's half a mile from and 1,000 feet below the summit. :)

Rather than just give up I'm trying some military options but it's looking like Mrs FMC may well have to miss out. :)

'Paradiddle' says if you can get hold of one of these.......

handcar.jpg

... then he will come and help get Mrs FMC from Clogwyn Station to the summit :)

'Paradiddle' says if you can get hold of one of these.......

... then he will come and help get Mrs FMC from Clogwyn Station to the summit :o

You jest, but the current option may be to use the building materials transport from Clogwyn to the summit so Paradiddle may have to start pumping iron to get boogie fit!

I'd very much like to surprise her for this anniversary with perhaps champagne and strawberries on the summit. However, she now suffers from Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and consequently is confined to an electric wheelchair.

Well .......... I know you got to Snowdonia (had a peek at your logs/piccies), but did Mrs FMC get her champagne and strawberries - even if it wasn't at the summit :lol:

Hope you both had a lovely few days away.

I want you to know that I think what you are doing is really beautiful and romantic and I wish you the best. I am a wheelchair user as well ( was born with spina bifida) but I was wondering if your wife minds being carried to the summit without her wheelchair? If she has two chairs then one could be placed at the top of the summit and then she could be carried probably by just you or two people? If she does not have another chair then maybe one of those fold up chairs or some chair she would be comfortable in could be carried their prior to you two arriving? Just a thought.

:):(:) Yes we got to the summit and above it!!! We even went along the Crib Goch and Clogwyn D'ur Arddu ridges (see picture taken whilst doing so) which meant so much to us as we walked here on our honeymoon.

e67c7b0e-c889-4d1e-935c-53a4c6785bad.jpg

I’ve been sending personal replies with the details to all who replied on the forum and the many who did so by personal email rather than bore the whole goecaching community.

Though a big public THANK YOU from me and Mrs FMC to the many geocachers who offered assistance or moral support - we were really touched.

:(:(:) Yes we got to the summit and above it!!! We even went along the Crib Goch and Clogwyn D'ur Arddu ridges (see picture taken whilst doing so) which meant so much to us as we walked here on our honeymoon.

Wow, what a fantastic view! Well done for following your plans through, looks brill!

rather than bore the whole goecaching community.

I don't think recounting it here will bore anyone, (well ok the cynical few, but then they're never pleased anyway,so don't worry about them), so do please share the details Robin & Sarah :)

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog