Creating a TYP file for custom maps

GeoBobC

I have been creating custom maps for my Garmin 60Cx for nearly a year now. I only add polylines for trails and so forth: nothing complicated. It was a struggle at first with registry changes and so forth but the process is relatively easy for me now.

I would like to alter the color of my trails/tracks. I've read about creating a TYP file to do so.

Should I tackle this? How much of a learning curve is there? What software should is best to use?

Thanks. I will get GenTYP. I will read the instructions. Would you be so kind as to give me a quick answer to this question: with GPSMapEdit I open a .mp file, and export a Garmin IMG file with cgpsmapper. Do these steps change? Do I use GenTYP on any of these files, before or after?

Thanks. I will get GenTYP. I will read the instructions. Would you be so kind as to give me a quick answer to this question: with GPSMapEdit I open a .mp file, and export a Garmin IMG file with cgpsmapper. Do these steps change? Do I use GenTYP on any of these files, before or after?

create your img file as usual

you create a TYP file using polyline, point or polygon types used in your img file that you want to alter

then upload your image file and TYP file to your GPS either through Mapsource or another program such as SendMap20 or Mapupload.

Note:

To install your image and TYP file into Mapsource use MapSetToolKit another great program from cypherman

Edited by rws

If I understand this correctly: (1) I create an IMG file using GPSMapEdit and cgpsmapper, the same as today; (2) I use GenTYP to open the IMG file created in step 1; (3) I alter the characteristics (such as color) of one of the polylines in the IMG file that is open in GenTYP; (4) ? now use MapSetToolKit to do something?

If I understand this correctly: (1) I create an IMG file using GPSMapEdit and cgpsmapper, the same as today; (2) I use GenTYP to open the IMG file created in step 1; (3) I alter the characteristics (such as color) of one of the polylines in the IMG file that is open in GenTYP; (4) ? now use MapSetToolKit to do something?

1.) Yes

2.) No...you do not open an img in GenTyp...you create a TYP file to alter types used in the img file

3.) No...you do not open an img in GenTYP...you create a TYP file to alter types used in the img file

4.) Yes...re-read Note: in post #5 above

better go back and read "How to use GenTYP" on the GenTYP website

Edited by rws

OK. I downloaded the programs and started working this. Please bear with me as these questions may have obvious answers to you but not to me:

(1) in the Product CODE box, the instructions say to enter a decimal number. Since I did not use MapSetToolKit to create the mapset, does it matter what I put here other than 1?

(2) the next step is to select a Line element. If I have multiple polylines (one for each of many separate trails) in my IMG file, do I need to select one line element for each trail, or only one for each trail type (such as road, roundabout, etc.)?

(3) "for a line element enter a hexadecimal number". The program has a "Type List" dropdown box, a separate "Type" and a separate "Sub Type" box. If I am selecting a polyline in my IMG file that is a roundabout, for example, would I select "0x0c-Roads-Roundabout" in the Type list box, and then enter "0x" for Type and "0c" for Sub-Type?