Earth Caches

The Earthcache requirements state that you need a geological feature to create an earth cache. Earthcache.org is an American site, and our land is very different to that across the pond, as is our history.

We have a great many prehistoric sites that are of significant importance, I'm thinking the kind of sites listed on places such as http://www.megalithic.co.uk/, places like Round Loaf on Anglezarke Moor, and various other round barrows, standing stones and the like. What do people think?

We have loads of standing stones and so on - but I though Earth caches were of a geological background. The Pentewan and Charlestown ones that Gus Honeybun (Can I have the magic button please Gus?!) talks of were built to support the mining in Cornwall so I'd think scrapes in just.

I'm not sure how a prehistoric stone ring qualifies as an Earthcache unless the stones themselves are of interest - my guess is it's something the Americans won't have considered (and I mean that in a nice sense) as they lack such features.

Worth an ask I'd say.

We have loads of standing stones and so on - but I though Earth caches were of a geological background. The Pentewan and Charlestown ones that Gus Honeybun (Can I have the magic button please Gus?!) talks of were built to support the mining in Cornwall so I'd think scrapes in just.

I'm not sure how a prehistoric stone ring qualifies as an Earthcache unless the stones themselves are of interest - my guess is it's something the Americans won't have considered (and I mean that in a nice sense) as they lack such features.

Worth an ask I'd say.

We *do* have archaeological sites here, you know :P Some pretty impressive ones, in fact. Not fabulous enough to keep me from becoming a Mesoamerican archaeologist instead of a North American one, though. I haven't really explored waypointing or earthcaching enough to know if archaeological sites are acceptable on either of those sites, but I sure like the idea of having people visit them!

Worth an ask I'd say.

Lost me on the button, but living where you do I guess you know more about it than I :P

Worth an ask I'd say.

We *do* have archaeological sites here, you know :( Some pretty impressive ones, in fact. Not fabulous enough to keep me from becoming a Mesoamerican archaeologist instead of a North American one, though. I haven't really explored waypointing or earthcaching enough to know if archaeological sites are acceptable on either of those sites, but I sure like the idea of having people visit them!

Thanks for that - goes to read up on the topic. Amazing what you learn onhere.

Gus's Magic Button explained Here.

Being a Cornish lassie I know all about Gus .... and I've got lots of birthday cards off him too in my keepsake box. In my student days, the Student Union kidnapped Gus and held him to ransom to raise funds for Rag Week. Unfortunately, there were more than one so he still appeared on TV that night.

Back on topic .... I'd like to see more earthcaches, there must be loads of places worthy of the status. [:(]

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

The Earthcache requirements state that you need a geological feature to create an earth cache. Earthcache.org is an American site, and our land is very different to that across the pond, as is our history.

We have a great many prehistoric sites that are of significant importance, I'm thinking the kind of sites listed on places such as http://www.megalithic.co.uk/, places like Round Loaf on Anglezarke Moor, and various other round barrows, standing stones and the like. What do people think?

Darned good idea Mark, Round Loaf huh? Somebody got something planned I wonder? :grin:

When you hide an earth cache you have to classify it e.g. fossil site, cave, costal feature etc....

One of the options is historic site. Maybe you could place an archaeological feature under that category?

The reviewer for earthcaches is Geoaware, who was really helpful when I placed my earthcaches. You could always email to see if archaeological sites would be acceptable.

IMHO an earthcache should be about the earth, Not what we've done to it. You couldn't place one next to a current building/monument, so why should we get one next to one that is ruined?

I only did my first earthcache on Tuesday and was interested to read about the geological process/history of the location.

If there are archaeological sites that are worth visiting could we not place a multi with details to be gained from the site?

Or even a well placed micro :lol: ?

Indeed, and megalithic.co.uk is also the best place to find these:

Oh NO! Not another website for me to waste my time on :)

This looks fascinating. Thanks :)

Edited to add, and my 2d as far as earthcaches go - I'm sure we have more than enough pure geology in the UK to provide some pretty informative earthcaches without needing to bend the rules to make them archeological instead. Mind you - the thought of including a chalk figure in a "cache" that demonstrated other features of chalk downland does get you thinking. But I'm no geologist, so I'll leave that to those wot know about these things.

Edited by Team Sieni

A lot of ancient monuments would be compromised with a physical cache. That's the idea, I believe, behind geological earth caches. An earth cache is a special cache.

but not by finding details at the site to use in a multi. Essentially an Earthcache is learning about the location but not finding a physical conatiner afterwards. I believe that most ancient sites could have a cache located outside its boundary using display boards etc as waypoints in a multi, therefore getting the best of both worlds!

Hi all

EarthCaches have to be related to earth science...and therefore a straight historical site (archeological or otherwise) would not meet the guidelines. However, historical mining sites, sites of geological significance (such as Siccar Point...OMG he actually knows a place in the UK...mainly cause he is an Australian :) ) do fall into the guidelines.

Does that help?

Geoaware

I don't think Stonehenge would be possible as an earthcache due to proximity - there's already a virtual there.

Judging by some Earthcaches I've done, I don't think proximity comes into it?

Earthcaches are not covered by Proximity checks just like Grandfathered caches [Virtual and Webcam caches] are not covered by the proximity guideline