Electronic Compass Confusion?

I surely don't intend to come across as "holier than thou", but for the life of me I can't understand why there is so much confusion, and so many "perceived" problems with the electronic compass on the S models of Garmin GPSrs.

A compass is a tool that works by determining which way is North. ....PERIOD!

It does not know about or even care what a "cache" is. It does not know what coordinates are, so it absolutely CANNOT help you find a set of "them". The compass will NOT point to a cache location. unless that cache just happens to be due North of your current location.

On the S models, Garmin didn't help much by having only a 2 axis compass. It has to be held level to work properly. I would like for any one to explain to me how to do both of the following things at the same time. How can you hold the GPSr level in order for the compass to work properly , and at the same time, hold the GPSr near vertical for the GPSr to work properly to direct you to the set of coordinates for a cache? You think you're confused? Think about the compass, it's trying to determine which way is North and you are holding the unit vertically where it cannot work!

What is confusing to many folks is the "Pointer". That is NOT, I repeat NOT, THE COMPASS. (even though it is displayed on the "Compass" page). (I personally set my unit to for the pointer to display "Bearing"). In the forums, I've even seen people with "Non S" models, describe "compass pointing problems".......when they don't even have a compass on their unit!

When you do a "Go To" to a set of coordinates, once you start moving, the bearing pointer will point toward that point described by those coordinates. The bearing pointer does not care which way is N,S,E or W. It only cares about where the GO To point is in relation to your present location and direction of movement.

Here's how to stop all the confusion and "problems".......ONLY Use the Compass exactly like you would use a manual/magnetic compass. That is, standing still and held level, then turn the Compass OFF. Then with the GPSR held upright , use the Bearing Pointer to direct you to the coordinates location. Yes, I know that you are supposed to be able to define the speed and time at which the unit switches from compass to GPSr , but there is still an interference.

Try it as described above and the problems will go away.

Well put.

I have one of the older Magellans with a Triaxial electronic compass, I do not use the GPS much any more, but when I was using it a left the compass turn off, it found it to be distracting.

Besides, a magnetic compass is not really needed for Geocaching, in the last four years I have found two caches the required a compass bearing to locate the cache. I used a real compass for those.

Some cachers think a magnetic compass will help them find a cache while standing stll. This is not the case, figuring in the accuracy can be off as much as 20 Feet when the cache is hidden a magnetic compass will not be able to determine it the hidders GPS was off.

One more point. Way is it that Garmin has not offered a GPS with a triaxial compass for those that think they need a compass.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Glad you got that out of your system. However, the pointer WILL point to the cache when you are standing still IF you have the EC enabled. Don't ask me why it should do that but I can tell you that it definitely DOES do that. I can stand still and have the pointer show me the direction to the cache. I can then turn the EC off and the pointer has no clue which way the cache is. Turn the EC on and the arrow swings around and points to the location of the cache.

I don't care if it's a misuse of the term "compass" or not. I can tell you that it definitely works that way. It worked that way on my 76CS and also on my 76CSx.

It might be a coincident but I’ve had several Magellan Meridian Platinum’s, one eXplorist 600, several 60CS’s and a 60CSx and the compass pointers all would point to the cache on a go to. Actually my 60CSx compass doesn’t even have a pointer until you tell it to go to somewhere. I’m too lazy to go out to my car to check any other GPSr’s. The Garmin’s only worked if they were calibrated and held flat but I loved Magellan’s 3-axis electronic compass. Garmin should add a bubble level to help you hold it level.

Thrak,

"Glad you got that out of your system."

Yeah, me too! I doubt if it will solve anything though......but then again, I'm not the one with the "compass" problems. Mine works perfectly.

I understand your example, and agree. However, you apparently have enough experience to be able to "read between the lines" and interpret what your unit is telling you.......newbies do not.

Try an experiment similar to your example above. Do a Go To with the compass on and with the pointer pointing toward the cache, then Stop. While you are stopped, turn the compass off and then turn around 180º and move in a different direction for long enough for your GPSr and bearing pointer to detect that movement. When the pointer points that direction, then stop, and while stopped (but still facing the direction of your last travel), turn the compass back on. You have now lost the correlation between the pointer and the "compass" , so the pointer no longer is pointing to the cache....until you start moving. ....and it's difficult to get to the cache while standing still.....

My whole point is, that until a user gets a lot of experience under their belt, they do not understand all the different possibilities and what can and can't be done and whether you need to be moving or still, unit held horizontal or vertical,etc

Edited by Grasscatcher

Much of what you've said is correct. You might be interested in my previous posts here and here.

However...

How can you hold the GPSr level in order for the compass to work properly , and at the same time, hold the GPSr near vertical for the GPSr to work properly to direct you to the set of coordinates for a cache?

The GPS (at least those with quad helix antennas) need to be held in a vertical position in order to work optimally. It still works properly if you hold it horizontally, it's just going to have a 10% to 15% signal loss. If you've got a SiRF III chip, a loss of 10% signal is hardly noticed most of the time.

I surely don't intend to come across as "holier than thou", but for the life of me I can't understand why there is so much confusion, and so many "perceived" problems with the electronic compass on the S models of Garmin GPSrs.

It does not know about or even care what a "cache" is. It does not know what coordinates are, so it absolutely CANNOT help you find a set of "them". The compass will NOT point to a cache location. unless that cache just happens to be due North of your current location.

On the S models, Garmin didn't help much by having only a 2 axis compass. It has to be held level to work properly. I would like for any one to explain to me how to do both of the following things at the same time. How can you hold the GPSr level in order for the compass to work properly , and at the same time, hold the GPSr near vertical for the GPSr to work properly to direct you to the set of coordinates for a cache? You think you're confused? Think about the compass, it's trying to determine which way is North and you are holding the unit vertically where it cannot work!

What is confusing to many folks is the "Pointer". That is NOT, I repeat NOT, THE COMPASS. (even though it is displayed on the "Compass" page). (I personally set my unit to for the pointer to display "Bearing"). In the forums, I've even seen people with "Non S" models, describe "compass pointing problems".......when they don't even have a compass on their unit!

When you do a "Go To" to a set of coordinates, once you start moving, the bearing pointer will point toward that point described by those coordinates. The bearing pointer does not care which way is N,S,E or W. It only cares about where the GO To point is in relation to your present location and direction of movement.

Here's how to stop all the confusion and "problems".......ONLY Use the Compass exactly like you would use a manual/magnetic compass. That is, standing still and held level, then turn the Compass OFF. Then with the GPSR held upright , use the Bearing Pointer to direct you to the coordinates location. Yes, I know that you are supposed to be able to define the speed and time at which the unit switches from compass to GPSr , but there is still an interference.

The EC is two magnetic field strength sensors at right angles. Using the two strengths the GPS can determine which way you are holding the GPS with respect to the magnetic field. Since the GPS knows the direction to the destination in relation to the magnetic field(the magnetic bearing), it can point directly at the destination no mater how you hold the GPS. It does this whether you are moving or not. Have you actually used a magnetic compass?

I used a hand held compass for years and to use it you:

A.) put the pointer on 0 degrees of the ring by rotating the compass

B.) sight along the compass at the number on the the ring equal to the magnetic bearing of the GPS.

You have to do A and B every time you move. On the GPS with an EC there is only one step. Hold the GPS up to you eye in any orientation and sight down the arrow.

Glad you got that out of your system. However, the pointer WILL point to the cache when you are standing still IF you have the EC enabled. Don't ask me why it should do that but I can tell you that it definitely DOES do that. I can stand still and have the pointer show me the direction to the cache. I can then turn the EC off and the pointer has no clue which way the cache is. Turn the EC on and the arrow swings around and points to the location of the cache.

I don't care if it's a misuse of the term "compass" or not. I can tell you that it definitely works that way. It worked that way on my 76CS and also on my 76CSx.

Yes. What Thrak said. EXACTLY!!! I have mostly given up trying to reply to posts to convince users this can work. But I can't pass up the opportunity to say that either Thrak and I are both right or we are both crazy. Take your pick. I know how to use my compass. It is not 100% reliable. It is a tool, and you have to understand it's limitations. If that is too complicated for you don't use it or don't buy it.

I'm walking down a trail.

My GPSr pointer (compass to me) is pointing at-a-way, slightly to the right.

Oh, a slough I have to walk around.

I make a hard left turn, but the pointer is still a pointin at the 'lil ammo box in the woods it can't even see.

Seems a whole lot easier than re-sighting a "true" compass before and after.

Often times I kinda stop and get my bearings.

That pointer stays right on target the whole time.

I like my "compass", and will keep using it.

Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

Might have to delete my find logs. :surprise:

PP4x4

For me the compass works fine it is the bearing pointer that is erratic.

Standing still it might indicate a wrong bearing when close to the target.

I did notice that if I turned it off and turned it back on it correctly indicated the bearing of the designated waypoint.

Waiting for a firmware update from Garmin.

For me the compass works fine it is the bearing pointer that is erratic.

Standing still it might indicate a wrong bearing when close to the target.

I did notice that if I turned it off and turned it back on it correctly indicated the bearing of the designated waypoint.

Waiting for a firmware update from Garmin.

Of course the bearing gets erratic when you get close because of geometry. The GPS can put the cache 30 feet off and when you get close, 30 feet can make a significant error angle. If you are standing in the 30 foot circle around the cache, the bearing can be anything.

B.) sight along the compass at the number on the the ring equal to the magnetic bearing of the GPS.

You have to do A and B every time you move. On the GPS with an EC there is only one step. Hold the GPS up to you eye in any orientation and sight down the arrow.

WHAT!!! I am not sure that I understand what you are saying correctly, so forgive me if I'm wrong. But, if you are saying what I think you are saying, then even if you used a handheld compass for years, you used it wrong. You don't set the compass at zero degrees and then sight along the magnetic bearing number. You set the compass at the magnetic bearing number and sight along the center of the compass. MUCH easier to follow the bearing.

Again, perhaps the wording of your post is confusing me, and perhaps you are saying the exact thing I am!!

Edited by GreatCanadian

WHAT!!! I am not sure that I understand what you are saying correctly, so forgive me if I'm wrong. But, if you are saying what I think you are saying, then even if you used a handheld compass for years, you used it wrong. You don't set the compass at zero degrees and then sight along the magnetic bearing number. You set the compass at the magnetic bearing number and sight along the center of the compass. MUCH easier to follow the bearing.

Again, perhaps the wording of your post is confusing me, and perhaps you are saying the exact thing I am!!

It has been awhile and you are right. I had it backwards.

Of course the bearing gets erratic when you get close because of geometry. The GPS can put the cache 30 feet off and when you get close, 30 feet can make a significant error angle. If you are standing in the 30 foot circle around the cache, the bearing can be anything.

John E, you hit the nail on the head. Most users get frustrated with their compasses because they think the compass will point them in the direction of the cache, but when they get close to GZ the needle starts jumping around. Worthless compass!!

It is not the compass that is jumping around, it is the location of the cache as reported by the GPS that keeps moving around. The compass does not make the GPS any more accurate.

If you want to use the compass most effectively, when still several hundred feet from the cache, note the distance to go. Then, using the EC, project a waypoint in the direction of the cache but 300 feet beyond. Follow the pointer and count down the distance to go. If you are having poor or erratic reception problems, this is the best way to go - no more bouncing around of the GPS bearing pointer or the EC. The cache will be somewhere on that line, you just have to get the distance right (assuming the posted coordinates are accurate!)

Good Hunting!

It is called the compass page because it displays the compass rose so that you can see your bearing in relation to the cardinals. This is true whether the EC is turned on or not. The functionality of the page is exactly the same.

The bearing pointer is the default set up, you do not need to select this. The alternative pointer is the course pointer which is for boating use. If you don't select a "go to" point, no pointer is displayed whether the EC is turned on or off.

The EC is simply an extra sensor that overrides the GPS when displaying the bearing. The advantage of the EC is that it will display the correct bearing when stopped or moving very slowly.

A "typical" compass, like the trusty Silva, has a needle that rotates and points to (magnetic) north. The compass on the GPS does not function this way - it functions like a ships compass where the pointer is fixed (the little notch at the top of the screen) and the compass bezel rotates to show your bearing relative to (true) north. As you point out, the bearing pointer (the red arrow) on the GPS is not the compass needle. The bearing pointer points to the selected "go to" point whether the EC is on or off.

I have only found the EC useful when using the GPS in conjunction with a paper map and when you are way out back. Maybe it is only me, but I have a hard time trying to orient the map to north while simultaneously walking through the woods to get my bearing, all while trying to locate myself on the map. It is much easier to stand in one place and get me, GPS and map all oriented. Now that I print many of my own maps I superimpose the UTM grid on the prints. With the GPS set to UTM I don't need the compass anymore to find myself on the map - I simply read the northing and easting off the satelite page and then read 'em off the map. Kinda old skool, but sometimes simple is the best - and I'll never waste money on another set of crummy topos for the GPS.

I still believe the misconception with the compass is that the bearing pointer will point directly at the cache when the seeker is within 50 ft of the GZ. As you point out, it is not the compass that is pointing at the cache and it is not the compass needle that jumps around, but the GPS changing its mind about where the cache is located based on its inherent positional error.

Enjoy!

The EC is simply an extra sensor that overrides the GPS when displaying the bearing. The advantage of the EC is that it will display the correct bearing when stopped or moving very slowly.!

The purpose of the EC is to figure out where the GPS is pointing so the bearing arrow points at the destination. Forget about the compass rose, forget about the flipping notch above the screen, forget about how the arrow points compared to a non-EC GPS, forget about speed, speed has nothing to do with it.

The arrow points at the cache. Rotate the GPS and the arrow will swing to the cache.

It is that simple. The non-EC GPS is complicated and difficult to learn. If you have old complicated non-EC GPS, you have to fuggetaboutit. The arrow behaves totally different.

rant mode off, sorry.

It is that simple. The non-EC GPS is complicated and difficult to learn. If you have old complicated non-EC GPS, you have to fuggetaboutit. The arrow behaves totally different.

rant mode off, sorry.

Not quite.

The arrow has nothing to do with the compass. The arrow behaves EXACTLY the same way regardless of whether you have a unit with an electronic compass or one without.

The arrow always points at the waypoint, when the EC is on, or if the EC is off, or if there is no EC at all.

If the arrow always points to the waypoint, why turn the EC on at all?

I think Grasscatcher's point is most people who have an EC don't understand why they have an EC, end up using it in a way that is not what they think, and then get frustrated with the compass. If all you are going to use your GPS for is geocaching, you don't need an EC. Save yourself some aggravation and some money and get a non-EC model. (like a new 60Cx instead of the 60CSx)

(it's ok to rant, we understand. But once you calm down, get your GPS and try it out. You will find what I said above to be correct)

Okay, but riddle me this, Caped Crusader: How does the GPS get a bearing to a set of coordinates? When it's moving, it gets them by triangulating from the satellites, right? But what about when it's standing still? As I understand it, without an electronic compass, it can't. So, the compass on my Garmin 60 CSx will help me find a set of coordinates, at least when I'm standing still, by providing a north from which it it can 'plot' a bearing.

I share your frustration about the two-axis compass--my only real complaint about the Garmin 60 CSx, other than the frequency with which I have to recalibrate the compass. But I've never had a problem with the unit trying to do two things at once. It gives me a perfectly good bearing and distance when I hold it horizontally. So, once I've got it level, I'm generally off to the races. Or, at least, the hunt.

Not quite.

The arrow has nothing to do with the compass. The arrow behaves EXACTLY the same way regardless of whether you have a unit with an electronic compass or one without.

The arrow always points at the waypoint, when the EC is on, or if the EC is off, or if there is no EC at all.

Not quite.

A unit with an electronic compass can properly position the arrow (and the compass ring) because it can detect the orientation of the unit.

A unit without an electronic compass has to assume that the unit is being held exactly in line with the direction of travel. If you're a bit lazy in holding the unit, and let it drift 15 degrees to the left or right, guess what? The arrow is going to be pointing 15 degrees off.

Not quite.

A unit without an electronic compass has to assume that the unit is being held exactly in line with the direction of travel. If you're a bit lazy in holding the unit, and let it drift 15 degrees to the left or right, guess what? The arrow is going to be pointing 15 degrees off.

This is the same problem with an EC - if you're a bit lazy and hold the unit at 15 deg from level, guess what? the arrow is not going to point in the correct direction.

The only difference in function between an EC equipped unit and one without, is the EC unit can correctly display the GPS orientation while standing still. The non-EC unit has to move a few feet to get its bearing and update the display. Once that is done, the functionality of the two units is exactly the same.

Your comment above is not quite correct. While moving, the non-EC unit doesn't care how you orient the unit to yourself, it reports the bearing based on your current position and the coordinates of where you are trying to go. You can hold the unit with the screen facing away from you and the bearing pointer will still point to the waypoint. Or try this, hold the unit flat in front of you like you were using the EC but with the EC turned off. Now slowly rotate the unit 360 deg as you walk toward the waypoint. The bearing pointer will keep pointing straight ahead to the waypoint, even if you are holding it 90 deg off.

Some people seem to think the GPS uses the compass to calculate the bearing to the waypoint. The compass signal is used for display purposes only. Bearings are calculated solely from coordinate data.

Once moving, I turn off the EC. For me it is hard to hold the unit level and clump through the woods.

This is the same problem with an EC - if you're a bit lazy and hold the unit at 15 deg from level, guess what? the arrow is not going to point in the correct direction.

The only difference in function between an EC equipped unit and one without, is the EC unit can correctly display the GPS orientation while standing still. The non-EC unit has to move a few feet to get its bearing and update the display. Once that is done, the functionality of the two units is exactly the same.

Your comment above is not quite correct. While moving, the non-EC unit doesn't care how you orient the unit to yourself, it reports the bearing based on your current position and the coordinates of where you are trying to go. You can hold the unit with the screen facing away from you and the bearing pointer will still point to the waypoint. Or try this, hold the unit flat in front of you like you were using the EC but with the EC turned off. Now slowly rotate the unit 360 deg as you walk toward the waypoint. The bearing pointer will keep pointing straight ahead to the waypoint, even if you are holding it 90 deg off.

Some people seem to think the GPS uses the compass to calculate the bearing to the waypoint. The compass signal is used for display purposes only. Bearings are calculated solely from coordinate data.

Once moving, I turn off the EC. For me it is hard to hold the unit level and clump through the woods.

Sorry, but that's incorrect. Yes, it will know the correct bearing, but that's irrelevent. Compass orientation is not needed to calculate the bearing. It's only necessary if you want to know what physical direction that bearing actually is. The only way a non-EC unit can orient the arrow to show the bearing is by assuming you're holding the unit so that the top of the unit is facing the direction of travel. If, while walking in a straight line towards your go-to target, and you turn the unit 90 degrees to the right, guess what? The arrow will be pointing 90 degrees off target. The compass ring will also be 90 degrees off. An EC unit will not do this, when the EC is active. It will always point to the target.

You might want to actually try this, before you make another post.

Edited by Prime Suspect
...If, while walking in a straight line towards your go-to target, and you turn the unit 90 degrees to the right, guess what? The arrow will be pointing 90 degrees off target. The compass ring will also be 90 degrees off. An EC unit will not do this, when the EC is active. It will always point to the target.

I think he meant that the arrow would still point to the target on the GPSr itself (map screen), and not the actual target.

Regardless, I wouldn't try reading my GPSr "sideways" any more than turning my computer monitor on its side.

rant mode off, sorry.

Not quite.

If the arrow always points to the waypoint, why turn the EC on at all?

I think Grasscatcher's point is most people who have an EC don't understand why they have an EC, end up using it in a way that is not what they think, and then get frustrated with the compass. If all you are going to use your GPS for is geocaching, you don't need an EC. Save yourself some aggravation and some money and get a non-EC model. (like a new 60Cx instead of the 60CSx)

(it's ok to rant, we understand. But once you calm down, get your GPS and try it out. You will find what I said above to be correct)

Hold the GPS at eye level and sight down the arrow into the real world, not some complicated GPS world you have in your head. On a non-EC GPS the arrow points to the cache only in your head. This is getting very frustrating because words are getting in the way.
...If, while walking in a straight line towards your go-to target, and you turn the unit 90 degrees to the right, guess what? The arrow will be pointing 90 degrees off target. The compass ring will also be 90 degrees off. An EC unit will not do this, when the EC is active. It will always point to the target.

I think he meant that the arrow would still point to the target on the GPSr itself (map screen), and not the actual target.

Regardless, I wouldn't try reading my GPSr "sideways" any more than turning my computer monitor on its side.

No, I don't think so. Go back and read his original message. It's all about the compass screen, not the map screen. Besides, there's no arrows on the map screen, just a line connecting your current location to the target.

And while you probably won't use your GPS "sideways", you very well might be casually holding it at a 12 degree angle, not realizing you're causing the arrow to point 12 degrees off target. That was the point. Turning the GPS 90 degrees was just an extreme example to make the effect more obvious, for those who still weren't getting it.

Okay, I'll take a crack at it:

1) Magellan Meridian Platinum: 3 axis EC - good thing. Very good thing.

2) The EC is used to CORRECT (rotate) the display so that the GPS calculated bearing (direction) to the cache matches reality (real world). It can do this while moving or not.

3) A non-EC GPS can do the CORRECTION to the display also, but only when moving (decently). It does this by taking successive positions, so it knows which way you are going. And you better be walking pretty straight. Walk a curved path with a non-EC GPS, and you are going to get bad info.

Are we getting there yet?

3) A non-EC GPS can do the CORRECTION to the display also, but only when moving (decently). It does this by taking successive positions, so it knows which way you are going. And you better be walking pretty straight. Walk a curved path with a non-EC GPS, and you are going to get bad info.

Thanks. we are getting closer, but no cigar. The only nit picky point I am trying to make for this case is that you need to point the GPS in the direction the GPS thinks you are moving then the arrow will point at the cache. The arrow doesn't automatically point at the cache. You have to do some mental gymnastics to get the GPS oriented right. Your mind may cause you to automatically move in straight line and point the GPS when you are more experienced, but the GPS does not automatically point to the cache like an EC GPS does.The GPS gives your position, speed, altitude etc. just fine if you hold it sideways.

No, I don't think so. Go back and read his original message. It's all about the compass screen, not the map screen. Besides, there's no arrows on the map screen, just a line connecting your current location to the target.

And while you probably won't use your GPS "sideways", you very well might be casually holding it at a 12 degree angle, not realizing you're causing the arrow to point 12 degrees off target. That was the point. Turning the GPS 90 degrees was just an extreme example to make the effect more obvious, for those who still weren't getting it.

There is an arrow on my map screen (explorist 210) showing your heading and a line showing your bearing. If he's talking about the compass screen, so be it. I was thinking of how I use my GPSr, which is on the map screen and rarely on the compass screen.

Well, where I hike and cache I can't walk in a straight line, so a few degrees off doesn't make much difference, not to mention it's a little difficult to sight with any GPSr compass, electronic or not. I understand your point though.

Edited by symbiont7