Cachemate - how does it compare?

Before I get too deeply into Cachemate on my MIO350 pda, I thought I'd see if anyone was using an application which they thought was superior to Cachemate?

Cachemate feels like a good application. Main benefits are that it can find your nearest cache but I have to keep asking it to update the coords.

I don't use GSAK but realise I still need to add the GSAK link into my chain.

Isn't Beeline very expensive compared to Cachemate and GPXSonar and especially the GSAK HTML export?

GPXSonar and GSAK html don't allow you to click through to the page from a GPS linked map - you have to index / search for the cache details.

BeeLine has a map, constantly centred on your position - you click goto, or cache details, or update, or whatever you want on the cache icons.... similar to MM Navigator but with more features.

Haven't used cachemate myself - I came across Beeline first a couple of years ago, and haven't had any reason to change.

Edited by keehotee

I have cachemate on my PPC, but I don't use it that much. I found that the cachenav plugin for cachemate doesn't update when your moving slowly, so not much use for getting to the cache spot.

I tried Beeline and thought it was great!

But then discovered Geoscout (http://www.navstation.co.uk/).

The biggest thing going for geoscout is that it will plot your position and the cache (and child waypoint) positions over the top of an OS map.

Geoscout takes GPX/LOC files or has the facility to download cache details from the web (though I don't use that, as I think it might break the terms of use of the geocaching website). It also converts from OS grid refs to lat/long.

I notice that Beeline has a couple more features now, so I might give it a go again as its more versatile than just being a cache program.

Only problem I have with BeeLineGPS is that it does not seem possible to sort on found date. So when coming home from a cache hunt, I have to look at each entry to see which ones I found so I can log it on geocaching.com.

And GSAK does not support the exported GPX file.

Any one have a better way to do this ?

Only problem I have with BeeLineGPS is that it does not seem possible to sort on found date. So when coming home from a cache hunt, I have to look at each entry to see which ones I found so I can log it on geocaching.com.

And GSAK does not support the exported GPX file.

Any one have a better way to do this ?

With CacheMate on my Palm, if you tick the 'FOUND' box on the user log page when you've found the cache, it automatically moves that cache entry into Cachemate's 'Unfiled' category when you hit the 'Done' button. (You can define an alternative category in the set-up if you want to). You should also mark the End Time when you find the cache. When you've finished your caching trip, you can export your log entries for the entire Unfiled category into the Memo pad. It will automatically sort them into time and date order for you so if you done lots over a weekend, you don't need to remember which order you did them.

With CacheMate on my Palm, if you tick the 'FOUND' box on the user log page when you've found the cache, it automatically moves that cache entry into Cachemate's 'Unfiled' category when you hit the 'Done' button. (You can define an alternative category in the set-up if you want to). You should also mark the End Time when you find the cache. When you've finished your caching trip, you can export your log entries for the entire Unfiled category into the Memo pad. It will automatically sort them into time and date order for you so if you done lots over a weekend, you don't need to remember which order you did them.

Glad I stumbled across this thread! I have been using cachemate with my palm for a while. I mark the ones as found and I love that it sorts them by found vs. not found. However it loads them alphabetically not by the time they were done? I have been trying to figure out how to get it to sort by time instead of alphabetically. I even dumped the found ones into the memo pad but they are still coming up in there alphabetically :)

I have been marking the time as start time instead of end time, you know what, I might have answered my own question! :)

Any input would be appreciated!

I use cachemate and love it, but also found it a little slow to update the pointer sometimes. This was especially the case in france, where it refused to think about updating, even in the open under blue skies! Do they have different satellites over there? We ended up swirching from a P550 with Sirf III chipset to my old etrex, and it improved! Does anyone know of a preferably free or cheap pointing device that can link to either cachemate or MemoryMap?

An additional advantage to cachemate is linking it to memory map – so one can look at caches on a 1:25,000 map and then open the cachemate cachepage direct from that (thanks to roolku and others!)

Dave