60csx reboot

nfa

Thanks...did it...but still no satellites to be found...crap...any ideas?

J

Does it clearly say "Acquiring Satellites" on the Satellite page? If not, while on the Satellite page press Menu and make sure that "Use with GPS" is active.

It says "Acquiring Satellites" on the satellite page, and shows the satellite #s, but doesn't show any lines/bars...

nfa

Jamie,

After a master reset, the unit may think that it is China and take a fair amount of time to re-acquire. You are and experienced user, so I assume you've "baked" the unit by giving in 20 or 30 minutes with clear view of the sky to reload the almanac. You might try hitting MENU and telling the unit where you are to speed up the process.

As another option, hold down only ENTR while powering up the unit. This will start it in test mode and should give you some diagnostics. Also, from the compass page you can press Up Right Down Left on the rocker key, which will bring up a debug page, but I'm not sure how helpful that info will be (do not reset this info, as Garmin may need it to fix the unit).

If this doesn't work, a call to Garmin Customer Service may be your next step.

Check the GPS SW Version (Setup/Systems/Menu/Software Version). If it says 0.0 the reload version 2.9 from Garmin website.

Mine has done something similar twice in the field recently. Its stuck at Acquiring, there are no satellites shown on the screen. Installing GPS chipset firmware again fixes it.

Garmin has said to do a master reset, I'm waiting to see if it will happen again.

I've noticed that a good way to corrupt the GPS SW on the 60 CSx is to double tap the power button when turning the unit on. For example, press the power button to turn the unit on, then press it again during or just before the Welcome screen (to turn on the back light) will create a situation where there is a good possibility that the GPS SW will become corrupt and show version 0.0. Waiting for the Acquiring Satellites page to turn on the backlight will prevent bricking your GPSr.

Hello

I have the same problem "Acquiring Satellites" on the Satellite page on my 60csx Ther are no satellites visible. When i run diagnostics (Hold Enter when turning device on) i see that my signal is -----. I think the stripes means nothing. the time is in the diagnostics different from the normal working time. I have installed GPS Chipset Type G Ver. 2.90 and i have the software version 3.50 installed.

I have tried the reset, (ent and page while turning device).

Is anyone formilliar with this problem, does anyone have a clue?

Please help

Mones

Hello

I have the same problem "Acquiring Satellites" on the Satellite page on my 60csx Ther are no satellites visible. When i run diagnostics (Hold Enter when turning device on) i see that my signal is -----. I think the stripes means nothing. the time is in the diagnostics different from the normal working time. I have installed GPS Chipset Type G Ver. 2.90 and i have the software version 3.50 installed.

Please help

Mones

SOLVED!!!!! :unsure::(B)

Install, the 270 GPS ChipsettypeG

http://gpsinformation.org/perry/GPSChipsetTypeG_270.exe

Via Webupdater the 290 downloaden and it works as a new one!!!

Hello

Please help

Mones

Did you already try this trick?

Fixing a dead Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

http://brilliantcorners.org/node/87-fixing...in-gpsmap-60csx

Mones

Did you already try this trick?

Fixing a dead Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

http://brilliantcorners.org/node/87-fixing...in-gpsmap-60csx

Hi Freeday,

It wasn't nessescary to read the article, the problem of my 60csx, it was displaying software version 0.00 ( ChipsettypeG )

I solved the problem to upload 2.70 software and after that upgraded to 2.90 and works fine.

Garmin has no older version available on their site, i went to http://gpsinformation.org/perry/GPSChipsetTypeG_270.exe

Thnxs for your help.

Mones

Edited by Mones

SOLVED!!!!! :wacko::D:laughing:

Install, the 270 GPS ChipsettypeG

http://gpsinformation.org/perry/GPSChipsetTypeG_270.exe

Via Webupdater the 290 downloaden and it works as a new one!!!

Thanks for posting this solution to your problem, Mones. I had the same thing happen to me over the weekend and was despairing as the official Garmin update was not working. However your post has solved the issue! Thanks!

Hi all,

I've also got a 60csx with this problem, which in my case is "easily" solved just by upgrading from GPS SW version 0.00 (grrr) to 2.90.

What really worries me is that this kind of reset to GPS SW version 0.00 has happened already 4 times in 5 months (always far from home, with no PC at hand and when I really needed the GPS). As you also probably do, I don't carry the GPS when I don't need it...

The first time I solved the problem I thought "great, problem solved". Now, after the fourth, I just can't trust the thing.

Currently it is working OK but I am not able to repro the problem, even by double tapping the power button to turn it on (a thousand times and counting) as someone here suggested.

I contacted technical support here in Spain and they say that I better not send it to them because, if they check it and it's working they won't touch it (I understand that). They say they won't replace it "just because I say it will break sooner or later". They need to get it failing to acquire satellites, (and even then, I think they will install the GPS software again, charge a hundred €'s and tell me it is fixed...)

So, anyone has more details on this issue? how to reproduce it on-demand? how to fix it "forever"?

I'll keep you informed.

Thank you and best regards,

Roberto Barrios

Madrid, SPAIN

I'll bump this thread up again. I came across a gspmap 60Csx today that just sat at "acquiring satellites" after hitting new location and leaving it outside for 30 mins still nothing. I was looking around and noticed it was GPS SW version 0.00 which I definatly found weird. I connected it to the computer and garmin web updated gave me version 3.00 and not it works.

after I fixed it I had to go searching to see if anyone else has come across it, and it looks like they have

software getting deleted is definatly a bad bug!!!!

I'll bump this thread up again....

Me too. Again, today GPS software dramatically downgraded itself to 0.00, leaving me out in the field with just the compass. I know it can be fixed re-applying the firmware, but this is a serious fault. I can't trust the thing, which makes it pretty useless.

Anyone knows how to DEFINITELY fix this problem ??

Regards,

Roberto

You need to get GARMIN to fix it. Contact support and have the unit RMA'd.

I'll bump this thread up again....

Me too. Again, today GPS software dramatically downgraded itself to 0.00, leaving me out in the field with just the compass. I know it can be fixed re-applying the firmware, but this is a serious fault. I can't trust the thing, which makes it pretty useless.

Anyone knows how to DEFINITELY fix this problem ??

Regards,

Roberto