Idaho Forest Fire Lookout Challenge

Lookout Lisa

The Idaho Forest Fire Lookout Challenge is now published and ready for cachers to tackle.

To complete the challenge, cachers must find/hide 50 caches total: 4 caches at lookouts (or their remains) in each of 8 different sections of Idaho, and 18 more to add up to the required 50 caches. Please visit the cache page for all the details.

I would like to say a HUGE thanks to The Navigatorz for all their help, suggestions and such a cool idea for a Lookout Challenge. This Idaho challenge is based on their Washington State Forest Fire Lookout Challenge with their permission.

I am sure that there are more lookout caches active already that I have missed -please let me know and I'll add them to the bookmark list. I look forward to tracking all those taking on the challenge :D

It's nice to see the Idaho Lookout Challenge up and running. Nice job Lisa! I think you'll enjoy managing this challenge as much as I have the WA Lookout Challenge. I really enjoy reading the participants logs and seeing their photos. Some of the best scenery is found at lookouts.

Thanks! Couldn't have done it without your help. Yes, I always love reading logs to my caches, and I am very much anticipating these! :D

Huge congratulations to Mr. Gadget #2 for completing the Washington State Forest Fire Lookout Challenge!! :P:D:P

I have added more lookout caches to the Idaho bookmark:

GCZ0VJ PackerView (Packer John Mountain)

GCK52N Gold Fork Lookout

Thanks Newlifelawn for the intel!

I will update the map probably next week as I expect more lookout caches will be brought to my attention over the weekend :D

Happy hunting!

Let's see how many people we can get with lookout symbols for their avatar we can get on this thread :( . I only count 3 finds for me that qualify in Idaho. Appears just as with the Washington Challenge I will need to revisit many a lookout I've already been to prior to geocaching. Not that I'm complaining! :blink:

Edited by WR7X

Let's see how many people we can get with lookout symbols for their avatar we can get on this thread :( . I only count 3 finds for me that qualify in Idaho. Appears just as with the Washington Challenge I will need to revisit many a lookout I've already been to prior to geocaching. Not that I'm complaining! :(

It sure is fun to share one's passion... :blink:

Well, we are now up to 52 caches in the bookmark list, starting from 43. We lost one (did not meet qualification) and then gained 10 more in just a day. Thanks everyone!

There is also a companion thread for this challenge at the Idaho Geocachers Forum.

Let's see how many people we can get with lookout symbols for their avatar we can get on this thread :( . I only count 3 finds for me that qualify in Idaho. Appears just as with the Washington Challenge I will need to revisit many a lookout I've already been to prior to geocaching. Not that I'm complaining! :blink:

Hey there Rex - how's things over in your part of the world?

I hear ya with the "revisit" thing... lol

Looks like A Scenic Burial??? (GCPNQK) at Grave Point Lookout has just been archived. I tried to find that one almost 2 years ago. I swear the coordinates must have been off, and that perhaps if I had checked closer to the tower I would have found it there instead.

I rechecked and I did find one more Idaho lookout cache I've done, GCH4P6, bringing my total up to 4. This is one of the neatest lookouts you'll ever visit, a unique design to the McCall area courtesy of SITPA.

Edited by WR7X

I had a little time to do a little lookin' for Idaho lookout caches and came up with 6 more for the Panhandle region:

Looking Glass, Eddy Peak, East Fork Peak, Harrison Peak Arete, Hall Mountain, and Dodge Peak

And here's 8 more for Southern Idaho:

Baldy Mountain near Sun Valley, Anniversary Cache - Bell Mtn, Million Dollar View, Look Out!, Notch Butte, Daniel's Mountaintop Cache, Rookie Point, and Pilot Peak Summit again.

Edited by The Navigatorz

I had a little time to do a little lookin' for Idaho lookout caches and came up with 6 more for the Panhandle region:

Looking Glass, Eddy Peak, East Fork Peak, Harrison Peak Arete, Hall Mountain, and Dodge Peak

And here's 8 more for Southern Idaho:

Baldy Mountain near Sun Valley, Anniversary Cache - Bell Mtn, Million Dollar View, Look Out!, Notch Butte, Daniel's Mountaintop Cache, Rookie Point, and Pilot Peak Summit again.

Holy cow! Thanks!! I was so worn out from the WSGA campout that I am just returning to the forums tonight for a bit, and will then do some major updating in the next two days.

Keep em coming!

Trinity Rocks cache page and some of the logs mention a nearby lookout. It appears it may be in Region 8.

Looks like the cache is over a mile away from the lookout... I have contacted the owners to be sure. I am thinking that would be too far away to count if my map (topozone) is correct...

'fraid the cache is too far away to count for the challenge, but I'm sure a very excellent anyway! Thanks to the Menaces for confirming the location :anitongue:

I've updated the challenge page and stats -please let me know if your count is wrong, or if you would like to join in!

I just tried to pm you my bookmark list again - am I sending the link right?

Yes -got it! Am updating the page now -I must have missed your first send -so very sorry ;) . This puts you in second place in counts, not that anyone is counting... ;)

Quite a few new caches have been added to the bookmark list, the latest of which is Bertha Lookout, hidden by Ogeo for the challenge -thanks! :huh:

So, from a humble start of just 43 lookout caches, we are now up to 74!! Big thanks for all who have pointed out caches for the list, and those out hiding them :huh: If any of you want to join the challenge, just drop me a note with a link to your bookmark list of hidden/found lookout caches in Idaho.

Cheers!

Hey... I have another one... Logan's Birthday Cache,POINT of VIEW

(GCWR09). Its on top of Red Horse Mtn. On http://www.firelookout.com/idcda.html Red Horse is listed as having a lookout tower there at one time, but its not there anymore... I'm looking for more information... and will be visiting the museum in the next few weeks to get that Really Nice Book!!! And yea, I did also find it yesterday. It was just too tempting for me not to do...

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

(GCWR09). Its on top of Red Horse Mtn. On http://www.firelookout.com/idcda.html Red Horse is listed as having a lookout tower there at one time, but its not there anymore... I'm looking for more information... and will be visiting the museum in the next few weeks to get that Really Nice Book!!! And yea, I did also find it yesterday. It was just too tempting for me not to do...

The Steaks

Thanks for the head's up: Red Horse was a L-4 cab back in 1945, then destroyed ~1952

The Steaks

Thanks for the head's up: Red Horse was a L-4 cab back in 1945, then destroyed ~1952

I kinda expected somthing like that... you know its bad when you get on top of a great Mountain and start looking for foundation bolts...Hmmm

The Steaks

The Steaks

I kinda expected somthing like that... you know its bad when you get on top of a great Mountain and start looking for foundation bolts...Hmmm

The Steaks

And you know it's really bad when you get on top of a great Mountain and start looking for old garbage pits..... lol

Looks like we will have our FTF for the Idaho Forest Fire Lookout Challenge later today:

gbraach writes this morning: "The lookouts are done. Today we hike to the final cache."

Way to go!! Today is going to be a beaut of a day to finish the challenge -it's a nice hike in pretty country (what lookout cache isn't??) and should be sunny and warm to boot. :rolleyes::huh::huh::P