Mt. Liberty,

ddnutzy

Yesterday I was hiking on Mt Liberty where I found a BM disk marked US Geological Survey, elevation, ET10DA, 1964. When I got home I couldn't find it in the Geocaching or Ngs database. I did a radial search with no results.

The elevation is 4459 feet and the coordinates are N44 06 57.62 W 071 38 33.01. I need help finding out what the pid of the station is.

Thanks,

DaveMtliberty8-12-07022.jpg

read "> Me First!, Before you post read this."

A short way down the page you will see a link to a FAQ.

A subject heading (link) in in the FAQ is this as follows........

I found a benchmark, but it isn't in the database. Why?

There is where lies your answer.

As noted previously this is one of the many thousands of marks set by USGS that were never submitted to NGS for inclusion in the National Spatial Reference System. The USGS control data sheet lists the NAD 27 position in State Plane Coordinates as X (East) = 506,279 ft, and Y (North) = 588,892 ft and a vertical angle elevation of 4459 ft. The position transformed to NAD 83 is N 44 06 56.75, W 71 38 32.22

DaveD -

Do you have basic statistics like:

The number of USGS marks in the NGS database

The total number of USGS marks (whether or not in the NGS database)

The number of "BM" indicators on U.S. topo maps.

The USGS bench mark question is one of the most frequently asked questions here (especially when the mark is not in the NGS database).

Is there an official USGS statement that they do or do not want recovery reports on their marks from anyone? (I realize you're not in the USGS.)

I can't find it now, but a couple times in these forums there was a statement that if one were to send $X to a USGS office they would get all the BM information for a particular topo map. Do you happen to know if there's a USGS standard for such an inquiry?

Yesterday I was hiking on Mt Liberty where I found a BM disk marked US Geological Survey, elevation, ET10DA, 1964. When I got home I couldn't find it in the Geocaching or Ngs database. I did a radial search with no results.

The elevation is 4459 feet and the coordinates are N44 06 57.62 W 071 38 33.01. I need help finding out what the pid of the station is.

Thanks,

Dave

Don't forget to post it to Waymarking.com!

Black Dog - I have no idea of exactly how many stations USGS ever set and/or how many have been integrated into the NGS database - several thousand at least, but way-way short of the number they actually set. Ever since USGS completed the initial production of the 7.5 min topographic mapping series in the mid-90s they have been getting out of the survey mark setting business. With attrition in their staff they're down to maybe 3-4 people in the entire organization that even care, or know much about about these marks. They have gone through a variety of reoganizations that have limited the resources they want to provide to service requests for marks. I can't speak for them so if you want the straight scoop you would need to contact Ms. Kari Craun (kcraun@usgs.gov) at the Rolla, MO office.

I took a tour of the Rolla USGS office in the Fall of 2005. When I told them how I report recoveries to the NGS, they gave me a stack of photocopied USGS datasheets for markers in and around Rolla. When I asked how I should report the recoveries, they told me they didn't need them. So either they don't really want them, or the people I talked to had no idea how I could actually report the recoveries.

It was an interesting tour though!