Personal Log Book

rmcphee

Sorry if this is posted somewhere, I searched but was not able to find anything...

As a new player, and having found my first cache, I was thinking about creating a personal log book, and I am sure that I am not the only one that has done such a thing... The question is the formatting of the book or the layout. I would like to get it done right the first time, and if I just simply start a book, then find a better idea later and want to adapt, I am the type of person that would re-write the whole book to the new format, so in trying to save myself the agrivation later I thought I would post a note and see what others are doing and what ideas they have going on for their personal log books...

It seems to me that a personal log book would be somewhat redundant, due to the fact that you can view all your previous logs in your profile on geocaching.com. If I know I'm going to find a lot of caches during a single outing, I'll take a notepad along so I can keep things straight (experiences at a particular cache that I want to be sure to include in the online log, TBs left or taken, etc.). Another thing you can do to keep an additional record of your cache finds is take pictures of them - a camera phone works great for that! You could then also upload your pictures to your online log.

Edited by kwikstix

we have kept a 'log-book' for our adventrues, and normally we list the name, waypoint: GC_______, and any clues, hints, or driving details. once a cache has been found, we record what we took/left & anything special about the cache. We have found this type of log helpful with DNF's and write down anything that may help next time you look for it or to share when you log in a DNF. yes, some people may say it's redundant, but we have found it's a quick easy way to keep track of things and it's been fun to look back on the logs & old caches. Have a Great Cache Day! :D

Sorry if this is posted somewhere, I searched but was not able to find anything...

As a new player, and having found my first cache, I was thinking about creating a personal log book, and I am sure that I am not the only one that has done such a thing... The question is the formatting of the book or the layout. I would like to get it done right the first time, and if I just simply start a book, then find a better idea later and want to adapt, I am the type of person that would re-write the whole book to the new format, so in trying to save myself the agrivation later I thought I would post a note and see what others are doing and what ideas they have going on for their personal log books...

If I was someone who enjoyed my own writing I definitely would. I however I'm someone who needs a log. At a minimum track what cache, when, trade items, travel bug tracking number, and then the experience. Experience is the best part to go back and read.

Not a bad idea, IMHO.

Digital Log:

Cache Name, Date, brief description of the experience, with a photo if you can.

I'd use a program that you can add pics right in with the text, or maybe an online blog.

In fact, since I only have 10 finds, I may backtrack and start one too. Sounds like a fun way to keep track of my experiences.

Thanks for the idea

I've been keeping a scrap book of all my finds since day one. It sorta just happened that way. I'm a non paper-less cacher. All that means is that I use the 'print friendly' option and get a nice sheet with all the cache info on it. I take it along for the hunt. I can make notes on it, like for what I traded, decripting the clue, or any other hints that may lie in the text. I don't know how many times I get a great laugh after I've found the cache and then the cache name makes sence. Oh the little joys...

So then I keep all those sheets, and the digital pics i happen to print, in MANY 3 ring binders so that I can look back at them. Its also a cool way to show off to other non cachers my hobby without having to log in on the internet.

Just the way I do it I'm sure there are less extragivent ways of going about it, and as you start your log it will change over time too. So I say just jump in, it will work its self out.

:D