FTF Sharks

<snip>This way more people may go along on the 'first' day and in effect a greater number of people can get FTF.

How so? The team that gets it first is first to find. If someone else comes along after that, they are second and so on. You can tell this by the fact the there's already a name in the logbook :( although you could kid yourself that you were first I suppose. :unsure: The unfound cache I mentioned here the other day remains virginal and I now have an itch.

I believe that the FTF as logged on the statistics held on geocachinguk.com includes all finders on the day of the first find.

Peter

That's why I go through them using CacheStats and remove any of my "false" FTFs but it is a good point. As others do, I only write “FTF” in my log so I can filter them out and then count them under my bedsheets in the wee small hours. Actually, I had to go through all my caches a few months ago and edit them to put the abbreviation FTF in purely so I could see how many I had got. This was borne purely out of interest following a similar discussion here but now I’m hooked.

The unfound cache I mentioned here the other day remains virginal and I now have an itch.

Go get it jerryo :o We've got the itch too! We were thinking of going for it tonight. It's 164 miles away - slightly out of our comfort zone, but what the heck! Oh yes, and we've got over 20 FTFs already :cool::cool::cool:

Er... Got it!!! It's peeing down too.

There's also something very sad about going for an FTF late at night in the dark when the cache has presumably been placed to show you the views / location etc.

As you say, that's very presumptuous on several levels. And sometimes there's no choice: alternative cache idea unlikely to be visited by those cachers who secretly prefer Morris dancing.

Obviously there are exceptions, but we are talking generally here.

Really?

Talking generally then, I would say there's something very sad about people who want to tell other people how they may or may not enjoy their hobby.

I would say there's something very sad about people who presume how and why every cache setter has set their caches.

I would say there's something very sad about people who haven't noticed that if the 'FTF sharks' they despise so much fail to go out first and find a cache, the next person who does so, is, by their own categorisation. an FTF shark.

It's a hobby. It has guidelines as to what we can and can't do in it. If you don't like they way other people enjoy it within those rules, it's time to find a more solitary hobby, where the rest of the real world don't offend you.

</rant>

Three pages on - and all we have reached is the blindingly obvious realisation that some people enjoy their hobby in different ways from others, and that some people always like to whinge.

[Edited for spelling correction]

Edited by OldNickCov

There's also something very sad about going for an FTF late at night in the dark when the cache has presumably been placed to show you the views / location etc.

As you say, that's very presumptuous on several levels. And sometimes there's no choice: alternative cache idea unlikely to be visited by those cachers who secretly prefer Morris dancing.

Obviously there are exceptions, but we are talking generally here.

Really?

Talking generally then, I would say there's something very sad about people who want to tell other people how they may or may not enjoy their hobby.

I would say there's something very sad about people who presume how and why every cache setter has set their caches.

I would say there's something very sad about people who haven't noticed that if the 'FTF sharks' they despise so much fail to go out first and find a cache, the next person who does so, is, by their own categorisation. an FTF shark.

It's a hobby. It has guidelines as to what we can and can't do in it. If you don't like they way other people enjoy it within those rules, it's time to find a more solitary hobby, where the rest of the real world don't offend you.

</rant>

Three pages on - and all we have reached is the blindingly obvious realisation that some people enjoy their hobby in different ways from others, and that some people always like to whinge.

[Edited for spelling correction]

How do you do that popcorn thing again?

Enough of the ranting and the like.... For my 2 pence I'll leave you with this....

I love getting FTFs! I'm pretty new to the game/hobby but the rush I get finding a cache which I know I may be FTF - is just crazy! As some have said, it adds a whole new element to the game. While I enjoy the gentle strolls with the wife to find a long standing cache, the wacky FTF races with (or without as the wife sometimes thinks I'm nuts!) are just as enjoyable.

So... Something I've been thinking about for a while is this:

For every FTF I get, I pledge to place a good and well thought out cache of my own!

While this may not be the answer to 'stopping people who like FTFs getting FTFs' (which it seems some folk would like), I think this is a worthwhile compromise :-) Anyway, I'm a little behind, but I've only just recently plucked up the courage to place my first cache - but I'll catch up soon enough.

So... anyone willing to accept the challenge?

K

I set up a puzzle cache here in London this weekend, and although I am dead chuffed that anyone would want to do it, it was particularly nice that a couple of people who haven't got a FTF before were the first finders :ph34r:

I bet no-one bothers with it for several months now it's been found, but that's OK.....I'm sure there will be some people out there who will want to look round the National Gallery and look at some paintings as the spirit of the cache intends, rather than just racking up another find :blink:

Please excuse me if this has been said already - i tried to read each post, but it gave me a headache.

Being relatively new to this, i haven't had the pleasure of a FTF yet. :D But i would suspect the joy of finding a well stocked cache would be far greater than a FTF.

So in that case, and as my Geocoin was taked by the FTF within a couple of hours (6:30am on a rainy, sunday morning ferchrissakes! :huh: ), my next cache will be relatively bare until the end of the first week, wherein i shall restock it with TB's, coins, and lots of goodies for the newbies/lazies/employed.

Please excuse me if this has been said already - i tried to read each post, but it gave me a headache.

Being relatively new to this, i haven't had the pleasure of a FTF yet. :D But i would suspect the joy of finding a well stocked cache would be far greater than a FTF.

So in that case, and as my Geocoin was taked by the FTF within a couple of hours (6:30am on a rainy, sunday morning ferchrissakes! :huh: ), my next cache will be relatively bare until the end of the first week, wherein i shall restock it with TB's, coins, and lots of goodies for the newbies/lazies/employed.

and what if the FTF'er who finds your cache IS a newbie?

(General)

You're never going to please everyone. All FTF'ers were newbies once.

Does it really matter?

Having your coin/TB taken is the whole idea of putting them out in the first place, isn't it?

The difference between an FTF'er and everybody else, is: They got there first! Nothing else, so why are people making a big fuss over, what IMHO is, nothing!

and what if the FTF'er who finds your cache IS a newbie?

(General)

You're never going to please everyone. All FTF'ers were newbies once.

Does it really matter?

Having your coin/TB taken is the whole idea of putting them out in the first place, isn't it?

The difference between an FTF'er and everybody else, is: They got there first! Nothing else, so why are people making a big fuss over, what IMHO is, nothing!

You are, of course absolutely right, maybe i should have clarified a bit better. My aim will be to make the thrill last that litle bit longer. The buzz of a FTF, and later, another buzz of getting something exciting in a cache.

Given a certain ammount of time and energy to spare, what would a cachers preference be.. a good location, and a well stocked cache with maybe one or two coins etc in it. Or an old cache visited dozens of times in recent weeks that you just know will have little of interest inside.

How many people reading this have been just a little bit dissapopinted to spend an hour or two getting to a cache, only to find a damp log book, and a broken pencil inside go on, own up now :D

I share your frustration, Westie Walker, though we have to accept that everyone's free to play the game their own way even if it's against our own wishes.

I remember the fun in doing my first few FTFs and know from logs and conversations that others do, especially those newer to the game. I personally find it a shame that some very experienced cachers make it their mission to grab as many FTFs as they can thus lessening the chances for newer cachers. After all here is no skill in being first, it's only having the opportunity.

Like you I have in the past tried to employ publication tricks to level the playing field like asking for caches to be published on Friday evenings. After all, It's not about the numbers!

All that said I fully support peoples right to play this game as they see fit.

Oh Really? What is THIS all about then FMC. Some of us may be quick off the mark as that is the way we wish to play the game, and we see that you may also dabble yourself!!

It IS about the numbers

I'm new. What is the excitment with being first to find? What's wrong with being the second person finding it?

Spot on jaxstraww - there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, or being 3rd, 4th .....230th, etc.

Isn't Geocaching great?!!!!

yes i agree geocaching is great iam just happy to find never mind the ftf lol

We have two FTFs so far, from two attempts.

One was in the dark at 2AM on a saturday night (guess that makes us sad <_< but it was really, really fun and we were awake watching baseball anyway!) after we noticed it on the PC.

Another was a mad dash after work one weekday evening, again after we noticed it on the PC.

Both were fairly close to home and both were made all the more fun becuase we were hoping to beat a local FTFer who "sniffs :huh: " most (or waht feels like nearly all) of the new caches in SE Wales.

In both instances our 'achievement' was made all the sweeter for 'beating' our friendly local shark :huh: .

Of course, we probably only managed it because he was on holiday or something...

A Fisrt to find is an achievment that all of us should be able to get.

I got 2 today!!!! My First 2. (also #24 and #25)

I did move quickly once i realised they were there, but it was still 12.45 before i got there and was happy that no one had beat me. Both were set by the same user and were quiet close together.

If we had met other cachers having got the first FTF we would have not gone for the second and given them the chance too.

Now that i have one i am not too bothered about getting more.

The same reason i did an earthcache... To get one!! if i don't do another then i will not be bothered!! The Joy is in the Find (the science in the Earthcache takes away some of the joy)

Happy Caching

Ljay

Scotland