FTF Sharks

I have had lots of my caches FTF by a local FTF cache grabber, I set up some locally when I knew he would be away in the U.S.A.

I was trying to give a chance to some new cachers in the area to get a FTF and another FTF shark from the Reading area rushed in to grab them.

I am setting up 4 new caches and am thinking of asking for them to be published with a day's gap in between to stop a FTF shark rushing in to grab them.

I have heard of some idiots driving more than 100 miles to garb a FTF, I have got 15 FTF's but will not deliberatley go out of my way to grab them :D

You should be pleased that people enjoy your caches enough to make the effort to go for them ASAP. I wouldn't call them sharks, they're enthusiasts. If they want to drive 100 miles for a FTF, apart from the green issue of caching, why shouldn't they? Perhaps stagger the release of new caches if you like, or set puzzles that take a while to figure, but don't put the boot into FTFers. There has to be one for every cache... that isn't muggled before it's ever found.

Was just trying to give newbies a chance for a FTF, I am just getting fed up with these people that will not bother doing any cache unless they get the FTF. For myself I will do any cache however old and enjoy the hunt, I cannot understand the thing that drives them for the FTF. It is nice to despoil a virgin cache but cannot understand the compulsion to get the FTF

I know a couple of FTF's, everybody else makes it into a race to try to get there before them, especially on the more difficult puzzle caches or caches set at weekends when the majority of the working population is around. Certainly in this area is all friendly and good fun, quite often friendly banter starts up on the cache listings before even FTF has been claimed.

Mark

I share your frustration, Westie Walker, though we have to accept that everyone's free to play the game their own way even if it's against our own wishes.

I remember the fun in doing my first few FTFs and know from logs and conversations that others do, especially those newer to the game. I personally find it a shame that some very experienced cachers make it their mission to grab as many FTFs as they can thus lessening the chances for newer cachers. After all here is no skill in being first, it's only having the opportunity.

Like you I have in the past tried to employ publication tricks to level the playing field like asking for caches to be published on Friday evenings. After all, It's not about the numbers!

All that said I fully support peoples right to play this game as they see fit.

We go out for FTF's if we can depending on distance and what we are doing at the time. But others we do not bother with due to time/distance/or who placed them.

Be happy people want to rush out for your caches, B) I was FTF on a really good one recently then no one visited for another couple of weeks :D

Being a FTF adds to the excitement in my mind, an extra dimension to will we find it!

I am joint hosting an event this week, I have set up 4 new caches that I have planned for the past 6 weeks as perminant caches not just event caches. I will post them for publication with a days gap between to give more people a chance to get the FTF, I will continue to set caches but do my best to stop the same old sad faces grabbing the FTF.

Westie Walker (friend to newbies)

I have had lots of my caches FTF by a local FTF cache grabber, I set up some locally when I knew he would be away in the U.S.A.

I was trying to give a chance to some new cachers in the area to get a FTF and another FTF shark from the Reading area rushed in to grab them.

I am setting up 4 new caches and am thinking of asking for them to be published with a day's gap in between to stop a FTF shark rushing in to grab them.

I have heard of some idiots driving more than 100 miles to garb a FTF, I have got 15 FTF's but will not deliberatley go out of my way to grab them B)

B)

FTF's should be left for the newby's (thats how you get hooked)

Is it that your FTF cachers are spoiling the fun? as it is always said NOT THEM AGAIN! :D

You could tryu emailing them and ask them to wwait awhile for others to grab the cache..? I enjoyed the two FTFs ive had so far, but i would go out of my way for an FTF. Maybe they ftf grab your caches because they enjoy them? I know the two of yours i did were enjoyable.

...I personally find it a shame that some very experienced cachers make it their mission to grab as many FTFs as they can thus lessening the chances for newer cachers. After all here is no skill in being first, it's only having the opportunity...

I agree. I'm with Westie Walker and Follow Me Chaps on this one.

I get more pleasure from seeing a relative Newbie's delight :D at finding their first FTF than seeing it go to someone who's already got more than 20 under their belt B) .

BUT, everyone plays the game etc etc etc

MrsB B)

B)

FTF's should be left for the newby's (thats how you get hooked)

Is it that your FTF cachers are spoiling the fun? as it is always said NOT THEM AGAIN! :D

I agree with this post, I am new to this game, (less than 1 year) and the game /sport has become an obsession. The FTF side of things becomes amn obsession, some of my first's had some quite stroppy comments left after by FTF sharks that were too late, I work to the Police shift system and could have grabbed lots more caches if I were so inclined

I am joint hosting an event this week, I have set up 4 new caches that I have planned for the past 6 weeks as perminant caches not just event caches.

Forgive me if I am totally wrong but I was under the illusion that ALL caches set for events had to be 'permanent' (min life expectancy - 3 months) caches in order to pass the criteria for publication on GC.COM.

I am joint hosting an event this week, I have set up 4 new caches that I have planned for the past 6 weeks as perminant caches not just event caches.

Forgive me if I am totally wrong but I was under the illusion that ALL caches set for events had to be 'permanent' (min life expectancy - 3 months) caches in order to pass the criteria for publication on GC.COM.

Quite correct, however it's not that uncommon for people to put out "unofficial" unpublished caches especially for events.

I spend time with each cache I set, Not just set them for an occasion, if I have complied to the rules good but I was just stating that I did not casually put them out

W.W.

I share your frustration, Westie Walker, though we have to accept that everyone's free to play the game their own way even if it's against our own wishes.

I remember the fun in doing my first few FTFs and know from logs and conversations that others do, especially those newer to the game. I personally find it a shame that some very experienced cachers make it their mission to grab as many FTFs as they can thus lessening the chances for newer cachers. After all here is no skill in being first, it's only having the opportunity.

Like you I have in the past tried to employ publication tricks to level the playing field like asking for caches to be published on Friday evenings. After all, It's not about the numbers!

All that said I fully support peoples right to play this game as they see fit.

Getting back to the topic, I will continue to do my best to place careful well thought caches that all can find not just the FTY sharks, forgive me but it looks like the kettle does not like being called black.

Off 2 bed now, glad that I might have put a thorn of guilt into somebody

Happy caching W.W,

Getting back to the topic, I will continue to do my best to place careful well thought caches that all can find not just the FTY sharks, forgive me but it looks like the kettle does not like being called black.

I'm not sure why everyone cannot find your caches - I found one of yours recently and yet was not FTF. B)

Anyway, some people enjoy the challenge of being first to the cache, and collecting as many FTF's as they can. I can't see much wrong with that. Others aren't bothered.

If anyone else wants to be FTF then it's up to them to get there before anyone else (obviously!), not for the cache setter to try and fix it so that certain people get first go. If someone gets FTF after a 100 mile drive, then the locals are clearly not that interested.

But where a particular cacher seems to be intent on beating everyone else to every cache, then the usual technique is to make a new cache rather time-consuming - normally taking more than a day to complete. It won't necessarily stop them but will hold them up long enough for others to be able to have a go as well. I suggest a tricky puzzle (delays starting out) followed by some type of distraction technique (catches out those in too much of a hurry) then a special camouflage finish (confounds the cacher who is thinking about the next cache too much). :D

I see nothing wrong in a local always being able to get to a cache first, it's all part on the game, also got nothing against how a cache owner sets their cache to the benefit of certain sections of geocachers, whether that being requesting it be published at a certain time or requiring certain local knowledge that you feel you regular will take longer to find than other locals.

One problem you've done with this post is that you've made it too easy to identify the guy, looking at the individials profile I'm not surprised they're rushing out to your caches as the new ones local are the only one's available locally.

Recommendation on when to hide your next caches - this individual doesn't do much caching on a Tuesday and Thursday during August. Another idea to stop him being FTF - take him to the pub for a drink the night the cache gets publish, get him drunk enough so he's not legal to drive the next day. :D

I see nothing wrong in a local always being able to get to a cache first, it's all part on the game, also got nothing against how a cache owner sets their cache to the benefit of certain sections of geocachers, whether that being requesting it be published at a certain time or requiring certain local knowledge that you feel you regular will take longer to find than other locals.

One problem you've done with this post is that you've made it too easy to identify the guy, looking at the individials profile I'm not surprised they're rushing out to your caches as the new ones local are the only one's available locally.

Recommendation on when to hide your next caches - this individual doesn't do much caching on a Tuesday and Thursday during August. Another idea to stop him being FTF - take him to the pub for a drink the night the cache gets publish, get him drunk enough so he's not legal to drive the next day. B)

ROFL I like your style!! :D

Personally I'm quite grateful to the FTF'ers in my area.

I'm more than happy for them to rush out to grab them... along with any teething problems that may occur with a new cache...

Dodgy Co-ords?

Great - just wait for a few more finds/DNF's and it'll get sorted and save me wasting my time looking 100' away 'cos someone's made a typo!

No Clue?

Great - let some other, er... 'suckers' log a few DNF's and it'll probably get one added and be made a lot easier!

Impossible Puzzle?

Great - once one person's worked it out then blah blah blah... ah, you get the idea...

So yes, thanks to the FTF'ers and good luck to 'em!

sorry, i'm inclined to say that the people rushing out to get the FTF's are quite within their rights and any criticism is unfair and unjustified.

as regards how to make prople at your event get FTF. easy.

i'm sure that the approvers will be happy if you place a cache and DO NOT publish it until after the event.

take a pile of cache sheets with you and issue them to everyone at the same time. then it's a real race to get FTF.

then you publish the next day.

apart from that just chill, it's a game and ,as far as i know there's no prizes. :D

I have heard of some idiots driving more than 100 miles to garb a FTF, I have got 15 FTF's but will not deliberatley go out of my way to grab them :D

A good way to fool FTFers is to publish caches, not only one at a time so they go out for one but miss the others, but mid to late morning at the weekend when the keen cachers have already set out on their caching day and the less addicted cachers may still at home. B)

My first popcorn smiley! :D Yet another thread where someone's getting all excited about how someone else plays their game. B) B)

To be fair though, I've been the newbie going home with the look of delight on my face after FTF one of MrsB's caches and I've also sent some caches in for approval on a Friday night - just to give everyone who works in the week a fair crack at finding them. It's a bit of a non-issue for me really - I can see both arguments.

If you make a big deal out of being FTF though, and how many FTFs you have, you can't expect people not to go out and try to be first. It'd be a bit like football and keep passing the ball around until everyone has a chance to score.

Edited by scanker

I'm new. What is the excitment with being first to find? What's wrong with being the second person finding it?

There's nothing wrong with not being the first but when you get your first FTF you'll find out.......especially when you beat a local FTFinder! :P

At the end of the day it's just a game but like all games people play it the way they want to play it........which is fine as long as they stick to the rules.

Edited by The Lavender Hill Mob

I really don't see that there is a problem. Not all newbies are bothered about being FTF. Trying to deliberately make it harder or more annoying for an experienced cacher is just going to lead to bad feeling.

I was particularly pleased that an experienced cacher was FTF on a long multi I set and he was able to correct a couple of mistakes I had made. These mistakes might otherwise have put a newbie off caching, or at least off multis.

I understand your frustration.

There will always be a local FTF hound its unavoidable i wish that occasionally they would sit back and let someonelese get the odd FTF but they dont operate that way for some its a matter of principle to try every time for the FTF and bookmark each one etc.

But if they stay back its not a race is it ? same as members only for the FTF hardly a fair race when half the runners are not included and members have acces to instant notification anyway.

My advice is this look for patterns, do you release in the week ? well if they work nights or from home or have a mobile job you are just playing into thier hands.

Do they go out normal caching on the weekend ? which is thier favourite day ??

We try to get our caches released late friday or saturday night so that as many people as possible will see them ready for saturday / sunday morning. A note to the reviewer usually yields results.

Release your caches in batches at the same time no one can be in two places at the same time can they ?

Also dont log TB's into caches before they are released anyone watching them (and now you have mentioned you are releasing new caches i can bet any TB's you have in your possession are being watched) will see the cache name and a link to it on the bug page.

Personally I'm quite grateful to the FTF'ers in my area.

I'm more than happy for them to rush out to grab them... along with any teething problems that may occur with a new cache...

Dodgy Co-ords?

Great - just wait for a few more finds/DNF's and it'll get sorted and save me wasting my time looking 100' away 'cos someone's made a typo!

No Clue?

Great - let some other, er... 'suckers' log a few DNF's and it'll probably get one added and be made a lot easier!

Impossible Puzzle?

Great - once one person's worked it out then blah blah blah... ah, you get the idea...

So yes, thanks to the FTF'ers and good luck to 'em!

I'm with ac-p on this one...

Particularly with ac-p's caches!!

I let Philpamandrob get the glory for them, then once someone has got FTF, ac-p doesn't mind giving clues to his nearly impossible puzzle caches!!

(only joking Anthony... I love your caches, you know I do!!)

I quite enjoy the thrill for a FTF knowing that a certain somebody is probably on their way to the cache already and wondering if they have found it right up to the last minute!

Here's a thought. Mabye if you asked for your caches to be published as late as possible on a Friday, then everyone would get the new cache email when they wake up on Saturday morning giving more people a chance to get FTF? No guarantee that the reviewers will be up late on Friday as we all know how they spend their evenings. :D:P:P

In my area most new caches are found by either of 2 local cachers, I think the reason has more to do with the fact that they have already done most of the caches around here and as soon as they see a local cache they will go to it irespective of whether they are first or not. Both are experienced cachers who often iron out teething problems, but whatever cache I go for it is still the first time I have found it, yes it is nice to get to a cache first but it's also horrid if you take the kids out, drive nearly an hour (real local caches don't exsist) start to do a multi end up with a DNF then find out the setters have made a mistake on the cache page :P .

If you really want to give others a chance poitely email the usual ftf's and ask them to wait :D

If you really want to give others a chance poitely email the usual ftf's and ask them to wait :P

I wouldn't do that. Assuming that the cacher is a reasonable type, it puts them in a difficult position. Should I comply with the request and have part of my hobby spoilt? Or should I ignore it, appear rude and perhaps lose some of the good will and respect of other cachers? Either way, you're degrading someone's game when they are staying well within the rules.

IMO, if you care enough about FTF that you'd be really disappointed not to get it, then it's up to you to find out how to beat the others. It's a game!

I really don't see that there is a problem. Not all newbies are bothered about being FTF. Trying to deliberately make it harder or more annoying for an experienced cacher is just going to lead to bad feeling.

I was particularly pleased that an experienced cacher was FTF on a long multi I set and he was able to correct a couple of mistakes I had made. These mistakes might otherwise have put a newbie off caching, or at least off multis.

At least your cache is being found, isn't that the main reason for setting them. Everyone plays the 'game' differently. Making it harder or timing the cache when you know certain people are not available will just cause bad feeling.

Not all 'oldies' are bothered about an FTF either, leave the race for the adrenaline seekers!! If a clump of new caches nearby turn up when you have depleated the local area I can possibly understand people wanting to rush out and do them, but FTF I can take or leave.

I usually avoid long multi caches until they have been found for that very reason of there possibly being errors, and I cringe until my own multis have been found.

Puzzles - well I enjoy actually being able to solve them, finding the cache after that is secondary to the enjoyment for me.

I thought that everyone who found the cache on the first day got FTF status anyway?

I thought that everyone who found the cache on the first day got FTF status anyway?

I doubt if that's the case...........I may be wrong..........probably am! :P

Perhaps I'm wrong, only one person can sign a fresh new log book first - like being back at school and writing on the first page of an exercise book perhaps? Nope, still does nothing for me!

I would feel honoured that somebody would bother to drive 100 or so miles to find one of my caches anyway!

Quite correct, however it's not that uncommon for people to put out "unofficial" unpublished caches especially for events.

Surely cachers don't go and look for caches at events they will be unable to log as fnds, will they? :D

Oh but of course they will, it's "not all about the numbers", is it? :P

I doubt if that's the case...........I may be wrong..........probably am! :P

Only in G:UK Stats.... As there is no time stamp and the first to log may not necessarily be the first to find, everyone who logs a find for the cache on the day it was first found gets credited with an FTF.

If theres one thing worse than FTF Sharks :D, it's Whinging cachers... :P

I love the first to find hunt and would be happily classed as a "FTF shark" if that's what you wanna call me. I love the fact there are several local cachers to me that are similiar "FTF sharks" and I think we all really enjoy the chase.

J

I must say that I thought we were into sock puppet/ wind-up territory when I saw the OP, but apparently we are not. I think there's an extraordinarily fine line between being a sad old face racing 100 miles for a FTF and being a sad old face driving 100 miles to find a cache that has been published for 5 years. If Westie Walker finds it difficult to understand why some people want to compete to get FTF remember that 99% of the population would be similarly baffled as to why anyone would want to go looking for a cache in the first place.

I'm hardly a FTF hound, shark or goldfish with just 15 out of over 800 finds but I've no problem with people who enjoy that part of the game. It's a level playing field if you're a premium member and if you're not well you would be churlish to complain at being at a disadvantage when you get everything else for free.

I have had lots of my caches FTF by a local FTF cache grabber

Lots? Four and a near miss. I suppose this may be proportionately “lots”.

You could put some out as unknown caches with a condition of logging being that the first to find can’t be persona “X” (or F, perhaps. Or “someone with more than 8 finds” to keep it less personal than this already is). Admittedly I have a few FTFs (ahem) but I often wait a few days before looking. If they’re still unclaimed then, and I’m in the area, I’m having them. I don’t really care about FTFs but I do like caching and, as I don’t owe anyone anything, I’m not going to faff around being altruistic about something as trivial as this. I would have thought that setting more caches for others’ enjoyment would be more sensible rather than moaning about the relatively few you have out relative to your finds. We joke about FTF hounds around here. I think we do anyway?

As no one has commented from the point of view of a FTF Ho, I thought I would as a semi recovered one :P

Being a FTF Ho is just as addictive as being hooked on class A drugs, your constantly looking for your next fix. If you think I'm joking just ask my teenage daughter about being dragged out of bed in the early hours to go after a FTF whatever the weather. Even now I've not completely beaten the addiction :D

And even though PM's have Instant Notifications [which are not always sent] Non PM's can still go after FTF's . All you need is regular access to the net during the day. Just log in and access the Newest in the UK via their profile, and be prepared to shoot off after it. It worked for me in over 50 genuine FTf's

If people want to be a FTF, then why not? I can underastand the problem if they are a fanatic and 'appear' to be out to FTF at all costs thus spoiling it for others who are 'normal' about it all. But then Caching is like that, it takes all sorts.

How is this for a FTF entry(edited to protect the guilty).

May 6, 2006 by ?????????? (209 found)

0450 & a FTF

I know its early but the early cacher gets the FTF & thats me for this one

The only reason I was out so early was we had a early morning phone call & I could'nt get back to sleep so pc on & a cup of tea, & sat trawling the new listings told mrs ?????? there was one & all I got was "JUST GO"

Left the house from head to toe in black hope the neighbours dont think i'm a burgler or something

Parked up at site & went in search of the 1st part of this cache it took about 10 to 15 min's but I found it in the end punched in co-ord's for the cache & off I went X-country oh what a fool the grass does'nt seem long but when its covered in morning dew, a rather foot wet ?????? finaly reached the cache found it very quick & claimed my prize of 1st in the book

Crouched there signing the log book listening to the owl's hooting & the crows doing what crows do & all the other early morning sounds with the mist still down the world just felt at peace for a time .

If he wants to go out at 4 am, then why not... :P

As no one has commented from the point of view of a FTF Ho, I thought I would as a semi recovered one :P

Being a FTF Ho is just as addictive as being hooked on class A drugs, your constantly looking for your next fix. If you think I'm joking just ask my teenage daughter about being dragged out of bed in the early hours to go after a FTF whatever the weather. Even now I've not completely beaten the addiction :P

And even though PM's have Instant Notifications [which are not always sent] Non PM's can still go after FTF's . All you need is regular access to the net during the day. Just log in and access the Newest in the UK via their profile, and be prepared to shoot off after it. It worked for me in over 50 genuine FTf's

OMG - please don't encourage me :D

I have been resisting this so well and you go and tell me how to do it!

BTW - if I ever annoy anybody by constantly finding their caches first (not much chance with my local fellow cachers) please just let me know rather than start something like this up. I am sure it can all get so exciting that all rational thoughts leave your mind.