Consolidate GPX files

imajeep

On some occasions, I pull caches to hunt by bookmarking those that look interesting, then running a pocket query on the bookmark list. That works, but it might be simpler if I could simply download the GPX file for each cache as I encounter it.

The problem with that approach is that I end up with a bunch of GPXs to load into my GPSr and Palm Pilot, instead of the one GPX I get from a bookmark list pocket query. And that got me wondering: Is there any software that will consolidate a folder full of GPX files into one file? Thanks!

GPS TrackMaker (freeware) will combine/merge gpx files.

In GPS TrackMaker:

click File...Open File

point to the folder with gpx files

select multiple gpx files (hold Ctrl and click with mouse)

click File...Save File as

you will now have one file with mulitiple tracks...waypoints

if you have more gpx files in another folder that you want to add (or gpx files to add at a later date)

(with previously saved file open)

click File...Merge File

point to folder with gpx files

select gpx files you want to add

click File...Save

Edited by rws
The upcoming EasyGPS 2.5 release has a Merge command on the File menu to do this. It will merge GPX and .loc files into a single document which you can save in GPX format.

http://forums.topografix.com/index.php?showtopic=1236

Thanks, Dan. I'm an ExpertGPS user. Will the new features show up on ExpertGPS as well? BTW, if you're looking for testing, I'm a pretty regular ExpertGPS user.

The Import command in ExpertGPS lets you select multiple GPX files, which will be merged.

GeoBuddy contains all of the same features as ExpertGPS, and adds full support for GPX pocket queries, a geocaching Web browser, and a number of additional geocaching-specific features. I'm going to try to put new geocaching features in GeoBuddy, and keep ExpertGPS a general-purpose mapping program.

The Import command in ExpertGPS lets you select multiple GPX files, which will be merged.

GeoBuddy contains all of the same features as ExpertGPS, and adds full support for GPX pocket queries, a geocaching Web browser, and a number of additional geocaching-specific features. I'm going to try to put new geocaching features in GeoBuddy, and keep ExpertGPS a general-purpose mapping program.

I hope ExpertGPS doesn't get left behind! I use GPS for hiking, and ExpertGPS does a nice job of manipulating GPX files. The merge feature is going to come in very handy for merging cache GPXs into hiking routes that I create. And I use it a lot to clean up bread-crumb tracks that I create while hiking.