Complaining about my maps!

I just received the 2008 update to North America NT and man, am I ever disappointed!!!! Now right off the bat, I fully realize that Garmin does not actually make the maps, but buys them from another company, Navteq in this case.

I live in Canada and I swear the coverage is taking a backward step. The main Highway 2, in New Brunswick has been in place for 3 or 4 years now and STILL does not totally show up on the newest maps! POI's are so far off that they are pretty much useless. Just for a quick comparison, I had a look at Metroguide V4 which came out about 4 or 5 years ago. I don't recall who provided the map detail but it seems to be light years aheadf the new 2008 update! I wish I could post a side by side pic of the same area with both maps.

Why is this happening? Why do I have to keep my old maps on my GPS for better coverage after I just spent almost $200 for City Navigator NT V8?????

What's going on with the companies that make maps???????

I just received the 2008 update to North America NT and man, am I ever disappointed!!!! Now right off the bat, I fully realize that Garmin does not actually make the maps, but buys them from another company, Navteq in this case.

I live in Canada and I swear the coverage is taking a backward step. The main Highway 2, in New Brunswick has been in place for 3 or 4 years now and STILL does not totally show up on the newest maps! POI's are so far off that they are pretty much useless. Just for a quick comparison, I had a look at Metroguide V4 which came out about 4 or 5 years ago. I don't recall who provided the map detail but it seems to be light years aheadf the new 2008 update! I wish I could post a side by side pic of the same area with both maps.

Why is this happening? Why do I have to keep my old maps on my GPS for better coverage after I just spent almost $200 for City Navigator NT V8?????

What's going on with the companies that make maps???????

Why not try contacting Navteq directly and asking them about this problem?

The mapping data for MetroGuide Canada comes from DMTI Spatial, based in Markham, ON.

I've noticed the road data for NB usually seems incomplete, no matter the mapping product. At least the Metroguide Canada v4 did a pretty good, I wish they'd come out with another version using data from dmti.

I notice that even Navteq doesn't seem to know about the new location for highway 2 south of Woodstock, even thought it's been at least 3 years since that section was opened.

I guess it's time to start using the map reporter and hope that it's fixed in time the next version of City Navigator.

I have the same issue in south east NB, the highway to PEI past Moncton doesn;t include a new stretch that has been in place since 1998. It still has hwy 15 as going through Cap-Pele. And has POIs for the school I went to in the middle of a river. It's slightly depressing to soend so much money on maps that aren't accurate! I thought that was supposed to be the reason you'd go out and buy the stupid maps in the 1st place.

Can't help you with your current problem, but for future map purchases, consider using Garmin's map viewer first to see if there are enough improvements in your area to justify the expense. Being disappointed is much less painful if you haven't spent money for the privilege.

I'm still using City Select v7. I considered upgrading to City Navigator 2008 but it seems that my daughter's house - in fact her entire complex of houses and streets where she lives - still doesn't seem to exist on the maps. The area where she lives is several years old but that area of the maps doesn't show any of the streets at all.

You can use the Navteq Map Reporter tool to notify them of the error. I don't know if will actually help or not though. There are at least 4 screw-ups within 1/4 mile of my house, including one that shows a road going directly though my 90 year old house.

Map Reporter

I have just spent 20 minutes trying to enter data for correction. My daughter's house and entire housing area doesn't exist on the maps. I've tried giving them the address but, since it "doesn't exist" I just get errors. I've tried doing it by coordinates but it doesn't seem to like the coordinates either. I tried using the "free form" entry but it doesn't like that either. I tried using the map to zoom into the area and it's freaking useless since I can't manage to get to the correct area using their horrid interface.