topo gb v2

i own a vista hcx and use it for geo-caches and running. I have noticed you can buy topographic software for the Uk which i think would benefit me in both pursuits, before i shell out as anyone used it ? is it any good ? and what kind of detail do you get for your money are minor roads, footpaths and bridleways on it ?

Im new to this so any help would be very welcome.

Hi,

I own a Garmin 60CSx not sure how this differes fom the HCX but the GB Topp V2 IMHO is easily good enough for Geocaching. I was caching yesterday in some local park and the detail showed me footpaths (even some very small paths), elevations, wooded areas. If you go to the www.garmin.com site there is a map viewer so you can sample the detail. I believe that the TOPO UK map is your only real choice for GeoCaching in the UK with a Garmin.

It's hard to say which scale detail garmin have used on the UK TOPO because I didnt see it stated on the box but I'd say it pretty much based on the OS 1:50k. It comes on a DVD and is 1.7Gb approx for the entire UK. I got all of it (Entire UK Topo) on my 2gb microSD. Generally, Im reasonably happy with it though more detail would bring it inline with some of the Magellan maps I've heard about which Ive been told are even more detailed!

To sumup - If you'e got a Garmin, then u got no other choice but I dont think you'll be too disappointed!

Hi,

I own a Garmin 60CSx not sure how this differes fom the HCX but the GB Topp V2 IMHO is easily good enough for Geocaching. I was caching yesterday in some local park and the detail showed me footpaths (even some very small paths), elevations, wooded areas. All roads are covered, from minor backstreet to Motorways, so you have no worries there. Rural areas show small tracks (maybe not all).

If you go to the www.garmin.com site there is a map viewer so you can sample the detail. I believe that the TOPO UK map is your only real choice for GeoCaching in the UK with a Garmin.

It's hard to say which scale detail garmin have used on the UK TOPO because I didnt see it stated on the box but I'd say it pretty much based on the OS 1:50k. It comes on a DVD and is 1.7Gb approx for the entire UK. I got all of it (Entire UK Topo) on my 2gb microSD. Generally, Im reasonably happy with it though more detail would bring it inline with some of the Magellan maps I've heard about which Ive been told are even more detailed!

To sumup - If you'e got a Garmin, then u got no other choice but I dont think you'll be too disappointed!

Hi,

I own a Garmin 60CSx not sure how this differes fom the HCX but the GB Topp V2 IMHO is easily good enough for Geocaching. I was caching yesterday in some local park and the detail showed me footpaths (even some very small paths), elevations, wooded areas. All roads are covered, from minor backstreet to Motorways, so you have no worries there. Rural areas show small tracks (maybe not all).

If you go to the www.garmin.com site there is a map viewer so you can sample the detail. I believe that the TOPO UK map is your only real choice for GeoCaching in the UK with a Garmin.