Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Team Badgers

Trying to get into Ham Radio

I am interested in getting into Ham Radio, but it is one of those hobbies you need someone to take you under there wing. Is there anyone willing to help a beginner like myself.

I am interested in a radio that would be for my office. Learning morse code, and some other Ham basics.

Thank You

I am interested in getting into Ham Radio, but it is one of those hobbies you need someone to take you under there wing. Is there anyone willing to help a beginner like myself.

I am interested in a radio that would be for my office. Learning morse code, and some other Ham basics.

Thank You

You can do online testing. For online testing go to qrz.com. On the left side of the page will be "practice tests". Might have to scroll down some to find them. Radioshack used to sell a book called "Now Your Talking". Do a web search on it. Should be able to find it.

KB8VUM

Edited by kb8vum

Thank You

First, welcome to the wonderful hobby of ham radio. The first thing you need to do is get involved with a local club or group. Check out:

www.arrrl.org

for information on the hobby.

Also check out:

www.hello-radio.org/

And to find a club near you go to:

www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubsearch.phtml

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask me or any of the other hams on this forum.

Best wishes

Rich WI9NDY / AFA1CY

Here is the club in your area.

The only thing easier is if we come take your exam for you!

http://www.w8dc.org/

Good Luck! You'll have good time.

Like Rich said, ask any Ham for help & you'll get more than you need.

Have fun,

Tim

N4EEE

Thank You

You can do online testing. For online testing go to qrz.com. On the left side of the page will be "practice tests". Might have to scroll down some to find them. Radioshack used to sell a book called "Now Your Talking". Do a web search on it. Should be able to find it.

KB8VUM

Online testing is a great tool. But is it just that... a tool. Use it to mesure your progress as you learn from your Elmer and other sources.

I wish you well and good luck !

K7DXZ

Any ideas on where to get equipment for a first timer. I know that there are Ham fest in my area. Is it realistic to get a base unit with out having to pay hundreds of dollars? I have looked online at a few sights, and for a new transceiver it was over a grand. What would you suggest for a first timer looking into base units?

Any ideas on where to get equipment for a first timer. I know that there are Ham fest in my area. Is it realistic to get a base unit with out having to pay hundreds of dollars? I have looked online at a few sights, and for a new transceiver it was over a grand. What would you suggest for a first timer looking into base units?

If you want an all band, all mode base unit, you're going to pay significant dollars unless you can find a used one.

A reasonable compromise might be the Yaesu FT-897, but you're still looking in the $1000 range new.

There's nothing stopping you from getting a mobile radio with the features you want and putting a power supply on it. The only difference between a mobile and base unit is the case, for the most part.

If you want an all band, all mode base unit, you're going to pay significant dollars unless you can find a used one.

A reasonable compromise might be the Yaesu FT-897, but you're still looking in the $1000 range new.

There's nothing stopping you from getting a mobile radio with the features you want and putting a power supply on it. The only difference between a mobile and base unit is the case, for the most part.

I am just starting in ham radio. I just got back from one of my local club's events. They were extremely friendly to me and I got tons of advice. They steered me to getting a dual band handheld to start out with. I am looking at a vhf/uhf (2meter/70cm) handheld and going on the local repeaters so I can comunicate to most of the state through our linked repeater system. The practice test is outstanding (qrz.com) If you need to get with someone call your local club and many times you will get an elmer (mentor) to show you equipment answer your questions... I am taking my tech exam next month. I will prolly move on and go to general class right after so I can use HF (shortwave).

Good luck.

There is always great debate on your first radio. Mine was a simple 2m handheld that I still own (batteries are dead so I don't use it). If your looking for a simple 2 meter auto mounted then Yaesu 2600 line would be a cheap starting point. For handhelds, imho Kenwood TH-F6 is great little radio. Handhelds will run you a bit more than a basic auto mounted radio, but an auto mount has more power available and with a external powersupply can become a base/office unit.

Welcome to Ham Radio, hope to hear you around.

73's

My first radio after a long absense from the 'sport' was an ICOM IC-718... I bought it used on eBay for about $500. It's a great radio for the price, and when (and if) you out grow it, you can resell it on eBay for the same price you paid for it.

That's is exactly what I did... Also, local Hamfest's are a great source of information. There are some upcoming in your area:

Grand Rapids on Sept. 8th... http://www.grahamfest.org/

Adrian on Sept 16th -- http://www.w8tqe.com/

Kalamazoo on Oct 14th -- http://www.kalamazoohamfest.com/

Good Luck & 73

W9KB

Thank You

Thanks for the interest in ham radio. Now that you do NOT need to learn code anymore, getting a license is easy.

Most areas have ham radio clubs. A search of Google can come up with answers. You can go to http://www.qrz.com and do a name search for your town and it will yeild names of many hams in your neighborhood. Look for a tall antenna in someones yard and knock on the door.

If you are in Quartzsite Arizona the third week of January, there are over 120 RV owners that are ham operators that meet at mile marker 99 on hwy 95. They hold classes in ham radio and do volunteer license testing.

A google search can yeild more information than you could read in a lifetime.

Good luck and 73

Chuck KC7CO

Well I went to my first Ham meeting here in Grand Rapids. I thought it was really cool and confusing all at the same time. I think I will take the Ham exam on the 8th of next month. Wish me luck. I grabbed three books at the local library. Still looking for a radio that wont break the bank.