how many caches in one day

the pooks

If you stay in the big cities and have just started you could probably do 20 to 30 in a day. I stay in a place like Newcastle and get to do 1 or 2 a month. I usually have to travel 250 to 300 kilos just to do about 3 or 4 in a day. So it all depends on your location.

If you stay in the big cities and have just started you could probably do 20 to 30 in a day. I stay in a place like Newcastle and get to do 1 or 2 a month. I usually have to travel 250 to 300 kilos just to do about 3 or 4 in a day. So it all depends on your location.

I was caching in a big city and after about 5 (including 1 multi) we had had quite a long day, so was wondering how one can do 20 in a day. It must be a real mission.

Well I managed to get to two in a matter of 30 minutes on Saturday. It was late and I had to get back to Newcastle but I passed close to another 4 to 5 just on the way out of the city itself. They were not Multi caches which can take a bit of time, but if you get an idea how the guy who put it there thinks, well then it gets easier. I must admit though some times there is a cache that will get you stumped. If that is the case skip it head for the next one. I try not to spend too long looking for a cache especially in the urban jungle.

20 - 30 in a dense area is possible, if you only geocache, and do not do anything else. like stopping for viwpoints, doing shopping or drinks at waterholes. Our best was 10 one day in Nelspruit with the two kids aged five and seven. Today I did five on my own, but was quite exhausted afterwards- It is all about planning where to go and what you intend to find, and remember at the end it is about the experience and not the numbers. I also find it easier if you geocache with other teams.

I must say the ventura kids look like professionals!

Edited by Guineafowl

how many caches can reasonably be done in one day. We did 1 multi and 4 others & 1 fish&chips one day, a multi and 2 others another and it was considered enough. Some folks talk about 20+ max - how is that possible? Is it still fun?

It all depends whether you're in it for the numbers or for the enjoyment. Rushing into anything always makes you careless and if you have to move through uneven terrain, or traveling fast through busy cities to get to ground zero..............I'll leave you to come to your own conclusions :(

how many caches can reasonably be done in one day. We did 1 multi and 4 others & 1 fish&chips one day, a multi and 2 others another and it was considered enough. Some folks talk about 20+ max - how is that possible? Is it still fun?

It all depends whether you're in it for the numbers or for the enjoyment. Rushing into anything always makes you careless and if you have to move through uneven terrain, or traveling fast through busy cities to get to ground zero..............I'll leave you to come to your own conclusions ;)

I disagree with your conclusion. ;) As anyone who has traveled along with us on one of our powercaching days would tell you, we have a great time! ;)

I would venture to guess it's the people around you that either make your day fun or otherwise.....not the number of caches.

Hi Guys

We normally attempt about 8 to 12 caches in a good days caching, but have slowed down to 4 or 5 these days to spend more time at the locations... With the exception of this last event in Magoebaskloof we did 43 caches + 3 DNF's in 6 hours... But I can't tell you much about the caches, so we will definitely go back and visit the area again...

Don't worry about the numbers. Go to the places you want to see and enjoy the scenery, views, people, places.. The caches arn't going anywhere, so if you do one a day youll be able to cache for a good few years to come :-)

CrystalFairy

On going to Gariepdam in August (with the plan to find the caches in the area), we found 9 caches in one day and 2 DNFs.. We had a lot of fun and took photographs everywhere too! So, we weren't rushed (and had a 3-year old in our team to consider as well).

On another geocaching-outing, this time with Brick (who had already found or own some of the caches we've visited that day), I logged 13 finds and 1 DNF.

Once again, these finds were stretched over some distance and we stopped all over to take photo's too.

Harties caching-spree in October: 6 finds, 4 DNFs - suppose not the best stats for a caching day.. but it seems to be in line with my numbers for one day.

Last weekend I went to my cousin's wedding just outside Parys and did some caching from early morning all along the way - found 8 caches and 2 "could-not-get-access-to-property" DNFs. After that there was still time for a coffee stop with Brick who took photos at another wedding close-by, and plenty time to get ready in Vanderbijl Park at an old school friend's house before leaving for the wedding.

So I guess 10 is a good number for me if I plan to go on a caching-spree. It is as much about the location and the company, as the actual fun in finding the cache, for me! :)