FAO: Lactodorum

I see you have closed my thread "Remote caches".

I asked"I have two remote caches, one is 15Km from a road, the other is 14km.

Are these the most remote caches in mainland UK?"

to which you replied there is a thread on this subject and closed the thread.

1. My thread was requesting MAINLAND caches, not on islands.

2. You, as a moderator could have transferred my post over.

3. I see numerous threads on similar topics, so why close this one?

4. Your response was not very polite- "I am closing this thread."- CASE CLOSED.

Boo hoo! You're question was pretty much identical to the other thread which you would have seen with a proper search. While the response may not have been that polite it was hardly rude when he explained the reason for closing it.

I suggest you go and post in the other thread instead.

I sympathise. However, experience has taught me that that right or wrong, those who agree with you keep silent and those who agree with you but like to back the mod (even when wrong) will slap you down.

Not saying Mr Mod was wrong on this occasion, not saying he was right either, but expect no sympathy from the vocal BNs! :)

Edited spelling...

Edited by Johnmelad

Don't take it as a personal slight, Jester. I moderate on another forum and the preference is that all similar topics are kept together. That way, someone new coming along and doing a search in this example for "remote caches", finds all the info they need contained in one neat thread. It also means that someone who's already replied once, doesn't have to do so again. I expect the moderators/reviewers are extremely busy, so I wouldn't interpret brevity as rudeness.

I personally think if you've got a problem with how your post is moderated then that should be dealt with by PM with the moderator concerned. That's banning behaviour on some forums I visit. :)

Correct

The other thread I linked to covered ALL remote caches, not just those on islands.

I could have done but I fail to see how this would have been any better in your eyes given your previous statement. I decided to leave it in place, albeit locked, but with a link to what was a perfectly relevant thread.

Because in my opinion, hopefully as a reasonably experienced forum moderator, this one was duplicating the discussion in the other thread.

If you are going to quote me please do me the honour of posting the complete response:

"There is already an active thread on this topic:

Very remote caches

I'm closing this thread."

It explained briefly what action I was taking and why.

I also noted that you had posted an identical message in another forum, which you will know is against the forum guidelines. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and did not feel it necessary to mention it at the time. However given your complaint I feel it relevant to mention now.

Surely you're aware of my Geocaching identity? :)

As this has come up in another thread recently, and I'm completely ignorant of all the reviewers other identities, if they don't mind, can you reveal them all?

Sure, we're happy to be "in the open".

Eckington is also known as Dodgydaved and

Deceangi is Mancunian Pyrocacher

:)

Surely you're aware of my Geocaching identity? ;)

As this has come up in another thread recently, and I'm completely ignorant of all the reviewers other identities, if they don't mind, can you reveal them all?

Sure, we're happy to be "in the open".

Eckington is also known as Dodgydaved and

Deceangi is Mancunian Pyrocacher

;)

but who is BATMAN???

to err is human, to moan on the forums is ............

I also noted that you had posted an identical message in another forum, which you will know is against the forum guidelines. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and did not feel it necessary to mention it at the time. However given your complaint I feel it relevant to mention now.

I believe I did post in another forum, where it was POLITELY pointed out that perhaps I should post in the correct forum, which I did. As you can see I have very few posts on here and didn't think to do a search for similar threads, point noted.

That said, I felt the reply was a bit curt, which got my back up. Sometimes a few extra words (or a smiley) can make all the difference in the tone of the message. ;)

Thanks.

Jim.

I believe I did post in another forum, where it was POLITELY pointed out that perhaps I should post in the correct forum, which I did. As you can see I have very few posts on here and didn't think to do a search for similar threads, point noted.

That said, I felt the reply was a bit curt, which got my back up. Sometimes a few extra words (or a smiley) can make all the difference in the tone of the message. ;)

Thanks.

Jim.

As Volunteers sometimes we have to juggle our time to fit in reviewing caches, answering emails and moderating the forum. Which can result in us being extremely pushed at times, so a possible reason for the curt reply.

Another possible reason in Lactodorum's case he might have just discovered that he'd run out of his supply of Red Wine ;):D

And I'm not a Man U fan either ;) nor Man City, even though the old homestead was a short walk from Main Rd :)

And don't forget folks we're so open, that you can attend It's Pay Back Time Folks and meet all 3 of us in person.

a possible reason for the curt reply.

Glad you aree that it was curt. ;)

Just to set the record totally straight so that there is no misunderstanding on anyone's part

I used the word Curt as that was the description used by jester2005

That said, I felt the reply was a bit curt, which got my back up. Sometimes a few extra words (or a smiley) can make all the difference in the tone of the message. smile.gif

The other thread I linked to covered ALL remote caches, not just those on islands.

Since the other thread was a lot broader, it would just confuse the issue on the topic you closed and make it harder to get a real answer. I don't think it made this a better forum for the rest of us, or helped the poster.

That said, I felt the reply was a bit curt, which got my back up. Sometimes a few extra words (or a smiley) can make all the difference in the tone of the message. :D

Thanks.

Jim.

The UK approver/mods seem like a pretty crew good overall. I'd not normally call them curt or blunt but we all have our off days. Heck I must have been having an off day when you used the word Polite on what I think was my post...In real life I'm mostly called curt and blunt. B)

I thought this thread may have had a point as I just (mis)read the OP:

‘4. Your response was not very polite- "I am closing this thread."- CASE CLOSED’

as

‘4. Your response was not very polite- "I am closing this thread. - CASE CLOSED”’

But all Lacto said was that he was closing the thread and why.

For those that want to gripe about something, why not check that your endowment wasn’t mis-sold and vent your spleen to the FSA? Or something that matters.

That said, I felt the reply was a bit curt, which got my back up. Sometimes a few extra words (or a smiley) can make all the difference in the tone of the message. :)

Thanks.

Jim.

As Volunteers sometimes we have to juggle our time to fit in reviewing caches, answering emails and moderating the forum. Which can result in us being extremely pushed at times, so a possible reason for the curt reply.

Another possible reason in Lactodorum's case he might have just discovered that he'd run out of his supply of Red Wine :mad::)

And I'm not a Man U fan either :yikes: nor Man City, even though the old homestead was a short walk from Main Rd :mad:

And don't forget folks we're so open, that you can attend It's Pay Back Time Folks and meet all 3 of us in person.

An what have we here.. a blatant disregard for the rules, advertising yer own cache on the forum, well I ask yer. Where will it all end.. the place going to rack an ruin. :blink:

On about ruin.. I might just ruin yer meet B):DB)B):D