City Navigator - NT or no NT

bhartman

The Garmin website lists City Navigator and City Navigator NT. They state that the differences are in the compression they use and that NT supports some traffic information. If I am purchasing a Vista HCX (which I assume can't do traffic), then are these two programs essentially the same to me? I don't know why different compression is a selling point, nor do they say which is better in which circumstances. And both pieces of software are the same price. Is there any other reason to choose one over the other?

Note that neither software shows as compatible with the Vista HCX, but both are compatible with the Vista CX. I'm assuming they just haven't updated the web site and both will work with the HCX.

The Garmin website lists City Navigator and City Navigator NT. They state that the differences are in the compression they use and that NT supports some traffic information. If I am purchasing a Vista HCX (which I assume can't do traffic), then are these two programs essentially the same to me? I don't know why different compression is a selling point, nor do they say which is better in which circumstances. And both pieces of software are the same price. Is there any other reason to choose one over the other?

Note that neither software shows as compatible with the Vista HCX, but both are compatible with the Vista CX. I'm assuming they just haven't updated the web site and both will work with the HCX.

Basically the entire NA NT will fit on a 1 gig card, non-NT will require 2 gigs. Some have said NT refreshes on the GPS a little slower than non-NT, but I have no personal experience with that, I only own NT. The maps and POI's are said to be identical.

When you used to get 2 unlocks per product, then you would go with the non NT version if you had an older GPS that can't use NT maps and one that did since you could use the non NT version on both.

You can make a TYP file to customize the way a map looks on the GPS as well as in MapSource. Currently I don't believe that you can generate a TYP file that works properly with the NT version.

When you used to get 2 unlocks per product, then you would go with the non NT version if you had an older GPS that can't use NT maps and one that did since you could use the non NT version on both.

Excellent point! I have NT and I cannot use the second unlock code for my 76CS.

Edit for fumble fingers.

Edited by Klatch

I had the CNNA v8 first. I had to have it as soon as it came out. Then the big Garmin unlock change was announced and I had a couple automotive units with CNNANT v8 unused 2nd unlocks. I figured I would at least use one to put NT on my 60CSx before it was gone. I was afraid it might be a use it or loose it situation.

Maybe I should start a new topic, but following up on the automotive unlock code comment, I have something I just haven't been able to figure out. I have a Garmin C330 for the car and just bought a brand new Garmin 60 CSx. I desperately want to get beyond the base map on the 60 CSx, but I'm waiting until the MapSource 2008 issues settle down.

So is there a way to use the 2nd unlock code for the C330 to get access to those MapSource maps on the 60 CSx? And if so, how do I do that? I thought that the only software that shipped with my C330 was some firmware update software, not the underlying map software. What am I missing?