Newest Pet Peeve

Scaber

I just have to get this off my chest. Please bear with me. DON'T USE PRE-PRINTED LABELS IN MICRO LOGS. Lately I have seen this happen far to often. The logs are small and people use their pre printed Avery computer lables and take up half the log. If it is a micro log sign as small as you can so there is room for other cachers to sign and so that the cache owner does not have to come out to replace the log. Thank you. You may now return to your regularly scheduled forum post.

Edited by scaber

Pretty rude isn't that S&N?? I mean, if that were the only place left, maybe...but to sign atop of someone else's log is just rude! What's your feeling about the long drawn out loggings?

Some of us use those as a simpler way to log the cache. Believe me when I say that most can't read my scribble on some of those logs...arthritis sometimes won't let me write clearly. And letting my 14 year old sign???

Some of those small logs are a total PAIN...maybe we should just ask people to stop making micros or nanos???

Well....if the setter of a micro can't get out to replace a log -- maybe they shouldn't set them in the first place!

Sometimes it is next to impossible to get the log out and back in.

Maybe the people who use address labels are trying to make a statement -- sounds like a good idea to me!

Sometimes adding labels will make the rolled up log too large to fit back in the container properly.

Personally, I don't care for the practice of using labels in everyday caching. It's not as if it's a custom piece of art like a stamp--which can sometimes present its own issues. I always try to use the space provided--maybe two maximum--when logging a micro.

If handwritting is such an issue, maybe a custom stamp? Ask for an "inspection stamp." These are fairly small. The impression will not add to the thickness of the log and will take up less room. Plus, there's the higher "coolness factor."

What is the type of sticker that is really tiny? I'm not saying I want to use them in Micros, but I like seeing some of the little stickers, but I haven't been able to find them. They appear to be real labels, not ones which have been cut down... What is the "Avery code" for these tiny little labels? Or any other manufacturer?

I just have to get this off my chest. Please bear with me. DON'T USE PRE-PRINTED LABELS IN MICRO LOGS. Lately I have seen this happen far to often. The logs are small and people use their pre printed Avery computer lables and take up half the log. If it is a micro log sign as small as you can so there is room for other cachers to sign and so that the cache owner does not have to come out to replace the log. Thank you. You may now return to your regularly scheduled forum post.

Geocaching is an activity that has a lot of potential annoyances like this. I truly believe the more adept you become at first expecting them and then ignoring them, the more you are going to get out of Geocaching.

If you are seeing this label on your cache log, you have already made the trip to your cache, so just replace it. Write a nice note the person that did it. Repeat as necessary.

What is the type of sticker that is really tiny? I'm not saying I want to use them in Micros, but I like seeing some of the little stickers, but I haven't been able to find them. They appear to be real labels, not ones which have been cut down... What is the "Avery code" for these tiny little labels? Or any other manufacturer?

Check out Avery 5927. Those look pretty small.

Check out Avery 5927. Those look pretty small.

They come up as dividers, not labels.

We sometimes use labels on micros depending on the log size and space left. Mostly because they can be predated in the car for faster log signing in high traffic areas.

Sometimes adding labels will make the rolled up log too large to fit back in the container properly.

Personally, I don't care for the practice of using labels in everyday caching. It's not as if it's a custom piece of art like a stamp--which can sometimes present its own issues. I always try to use the space provided--maybe two maximum--when logging a micro.

If handwritting is such an issue, maybe a custom stamp? Ask for an "inspection stamp." These are fairly small. The impression will not add to the thickness of the log and will take up less room. Plus, there's the higher "coolness factor."

I REALLY like that idea. Where do you get them?

The few times that I have seen folks locally use pre-printed logging labels, all were very small labels, on the order of 1.5" x 0.75". In any case, even when people use 1" x 2 3/4" labels or even 2"x 4" labels, that would take up about half a page of most logbooks, and that is not a big deal to me.

What I DO find weird, and in fact, what I find to be VERY WEIRD, is when folks leave ONLY their pre-printed label in the logbook and do NOT leave any personalized written comments about what they took, what they left, the hike to the cache, the hide, etc. Of course, from the viewpoint of many cachers, a label may be all that many of modern LUM hides deserve!

Pretty rude isn't that S&N?? I mean, if that were the only place left, maybe...but to sign atop of someone else's log is just rude! What's your feeling about the long drawn out loggings?

Some of us use those as a simpler way to log the cache. Believe me when I say that most can't read my scribble on some of those logs...arthritis sometimes won't let me write clearly. And letting my 14 year old sign???

Some of those small logs are a total PAIN...maybe we should just ask people to stop making micros or nanos???

Actually, I should have specified that I write on top of the labels when there is no more room left. Of course, it is often moot, since the labels I've seen typically become unstuck after a while and the space opens up again.

As to long drawn out loggings, I think they are great, and have left some when there is an actual logbook to sign--but not in a micro. The OP was talking about micro logs, where there is limited space to write.

Sorry to hear about your arthritis. I have it too. I can scrawl a legible "S&R" on the smallest logs, rather than taking up 3 or 4 lines that someone else can use. Perhaps some other cachers cannot, so I will concede that there may be times when a label is necessary--though I like the idea of a small stamp.

Edited by Snake & Rooster

While I agree with you in principle, and think using a sticker that fills up enough space for several other cachers to sign is selfish and lazy, you're not going to change anyone's use of them here. They don't actually bother me since I usually just sign right over the top of them. :)

Since using some sticker that takes up 3 or so signature lines is indicative to me of someone who is rude, careless, self-centered and disrespectful of both the cache owner and other finders, I would not hesitate one micro-second in over writing such a sticker. Now if there was available space to sign normally I MIGHT not sign over it, but nevertheless it is fair game.

Yet another good reason to filter micros.

BTW, the same goes for signature stickers used in normal sized logbooks.

Edited by Team Cotati

Stickers are an issue but, so is the person who wants to show off by signing the log as big as they can. I normally try to write as small and legible as possible especially in a micro. However, I have seen a log signed where a hand written log took up more space than a sticker ever would have. I think it comes down to common sense. If the cacher sees there's not much room left on the log for their large sticker. Please be polite and write your log and leave room for the next person. Then post a needs maintenance log.

Stickers are an issue but, so is the person who wants to show off by signing the log as big as they can. I normally try to write as small and legible as possible especially in a micro. However, I have seen a log signed where a hand written log took up more space than a sticker ever would have. I think it comes down to common sense. If the cacher sees there's not much room left on the log for their large sticker. Please be polite and write your log and leave room for the next person. Then post a needs maintenance log.

I sometimes get the impression from some people that they think that once they open a cache container that they somehow have assumed temporary ownership of same and can therefore do with it as they please.

This is of course, quite incorrect.

I use Avery 8167 which are return address labels. They measure 1/2" x 1 3/4" and take up less room then my handwriting will.

I pulled the log out of a Bison Tube the yesterday and both sides of the log sheet was filled up. It has stickers on it. I managed to find a spot along the outer edge of the log where I was able to sign. I signed 08/11/07 next to an entry from May. Not really the best option but, the one I had. Not saying in this instance the sticker was the issue. However, rolling up the log and putting it back into the Bison Tube the sticker made it difficult. BTW - I did post a note for the owner to replace the log. I also noticed that the last "needs maintenance" was about 5 logs and 3 weeks ago. So, this is partially the owners issue.

I pulled the log out of a Bison Tube the yesterday and both sides of the log sheet was filled up. It has stickers on it. I managed to find a spot along the outer edge of the log where I was able to sign. I signed 08/11/07 next to an entry from May. Not really the best option but, the one I had. Not saying in this instance the sticker was the issue. However, rolling up the log and putting it back into the Bison Tube the sticker made it difficult. BTW - I did post a note for the owner to replace the log. I also noticed that the last "needs maintenance" was about 5 logs and 3 weeks ago. So, this is partially the owners issue.
Logbooks fill up. Tiny logbooks fill up faster. Stickers make tiny logbooks fill even faster. So the moral of the story is if you don't want to maintain your cache as much hide larger caches with larger logbooks. :) I've seen some cool stickers. I don't mind them because most of my logbooks are larger and can support them. :)

I know I've beat this dead horse before, but one of my biggest pleasures in geocaching is leaving my sticker. I tend to push the limits on its use, though not to an extreme. Finding a log that's too small for even a simple return adress label makes me feel cheated, especially since it means that I won't even be able to write my full name on it.

"Nonaero..."

Yeah. Oh, joy. :)

I use Avery 8167 which are return address labels. They measure 1/2" x 1 3/4" and take up less room then my handwriting will.

Those are the same ones we use and they don't take up much room. About the same as a signature anyway. Avery's online templates are really easy to use also. They allow you to be pretty creative.

I have only used these "preprinted labels" on two occasions. When I go caching with a large group, we print them off with all of our team names on ONE sticker. Takes up MUCH less room than all of us signing the log. The other time, and I do this too often, unfortunatly, is when the logs are too wet to sign. Then, you really have no other option, but to leave the sticker. It's not my fault the cache owner will not change the logs.

While we are on the subject of logs, can I ask that everyone is careful not to leave a blank page between your log and the previous one. The idea is that the logs are kept in chronological order. I have just had to replace a relatively expensive log-book because half the pages had been left blank in the middle!

I use Avery 05418 size 1/2" x 3/4". I usually won't use them to sign a micro log with only one page, but if micro log is bigger, I use them. I also agree, if you are the cache owner, get out there and replace the log as often as needed, that is part of your job as a cache owner. ;)

... What I DO find weird, and in fact, what I find to be VERY WEIRD, is when folks leave ONLY their pre-printed label in the logbook and do NOT leave any personalized written comments about what they took, what they left, the hike to the cache, the hide, etc. Of course, from the viewpoint of many cachers, a label may be all that many of modern LUM hides deserve!
I almost never leave any comments in the physical log book (other than my sig and the date). This is either because I don't want to be spotted at ground zero, want to get out of the heat, don't care for the bugs, am in a hurry, or because I'm lazy. I save my detailed comments for the on-line log.

<Attempt to return to the topic>

Those times that I have remembered my pre-printed stickers, I've used Avery return address labels and scribbled the date on the edge of the label.

Edited by sbell111
I also agree, if you are the cache owner, get out there and replace the log as often as needed, that is part of your job as a cache owner.

True, but it is a two way street. The logger should also be considerate of the owner and those finders who follow afterwards.

I agree with you also, that is why I bring along extra materials in my pack and replace filled or soaked logs and mail back log books that are truely unusable. Never got a complaint yet, all the cache owners have been very thankful for me helping them out.

... What I DO find weird, and in fact, what I find to be VERY WEIRD, is when folks leave ONLY their pre-printed label in the logbook and do NOT leave any personalized written comments about what they took, what they left, the hike to the cache, the hide, etc. Of course, from the viewpoint of many cachers, a label may be all that many of modern LUM hides deserve!
I almost never leave any comments in the physical log book (other than my sig and the date). This is either because I don't want to be spotted at ground zero, want to get out of the heat, don't care for the bugs, am in a hurry, or because I'm lazy. I save my detailed comments for the on-line log.

<Attempt to return to the topic>

Those times that I have remembered my pre-printed stickers, I've used Avery return address labels and scribbled the date on the edge of the label.

That's me as well! It seems better to use the stickers (when they actually fit onto the logs...some are too narrow) than to actually write out the same info, the sticker is smaller! I also usually write the date and TFTC ON the stickers!

And a micro hardly has room for detailed logs...isn't that the reason for the griping about the stickers? I'll leave the detailed logs to the online logs.

I just started leaving a sticker in my logbook entries fairly recently. I have a multitude of reasons for doing so and I think that every one of them is valid but the main one is my dodgy handwriting. It's bad at the best of times but when I'm balancing a little notebook on my knee, crouched down by a fencepost in the rain and a force-nine, it's has a tendency to be almost illegible. Subsequent cachers and the owner are welcome to try and decipher the longer, hand-written portion of my log if the wish to but I'd at least like to make sure my name can be easily understood by a casual reader.

That said, I wouldn't put one in a micro but the micro-cache owners have to accept that my log entry might look just like a toddler's scrawl ;)

If there's one thing I've learned in my short time Geocaching, it's that whatever you do, however you do it, someone, somewhere will take issue. Writing a log that doesn't upset anyone by being too long, too short, too ostentatious or too impersonal is impossible but so long as you can justify your action to yourself and you're not violating any of the official guidelines, then stuff 'em ;)

Agree that those that take up more than their share of space are inconsiderate of both the hider and the finders that come later. Like that uncle at the family gathering that takes half the mashed potatoes out of the bowl before passing it on.

I wish that I understood why some are so eager to excuse make for the rude, self-centered, inconsiderate and careless behavior of others. I just do not get it. What is the constructive purpose in doing that?

;) huh? ;) what behavior has your undies in such a bind EXACTLY?

I wish that I understood why some are so eager to excuse make for the rude, self-centered, inconsiderate and careless behavior of others. I just do not get it. What is the constructive purpose in doing that?

;) huh? ;) what behavior has your undies in such a bind EXACTLY?

Beats me. I thought I understood the naked guys position from post 19, but then post 21-23 sorta reversed it. None of which really hit on the OP's issue, as far as I can tell.

Edited by sbell111

:D huh? ;) what behavior has your undies in such a bind EXACTLY?

Beats me. I thought I understood the naked guys position from post 19, but then post 21-23 sorta reversed it. None of which really hit on the OP's issue, as far as I can tell.

Unlike THIS one, eh? "None of which really hit on the OP's issue, as far as I can tell." ;):);)

Oh! I haven't run across this but yeah, that would annoy me! Thanks for pointing out a possible problem.

I still think stickers have no place in a micro. As I said earlier in my previous post a little consideration would be appreciated by all involved. My hand writing isn't that good either. That's why my cache name is only 9 characters. I don't know how some people can even sign a log with longer names? :D

I disagree

These labels are part of people and their personalities. I love to see them, I tear mine in half so they won't completely take over, but I believe in them and I think they are a wonderful expression of the sport. Please reconsider. :D

We must be visualizing different logs or different micros. I've seen entire logs that were smaller than half a return address label. I usually just initial them with an ultra fine point pen.