Magellan Explorist 500LE USB problems.

Encountering several problems when trying to connect my GPS through USB.

1) My computer only recognized my GPSr about 50% of the time.

2) Would not work at all on the USB port on the front of the computer (does work fine with camera, mp3, etc)

3) When the GPS does get recognized, it randomly shuts off after a few minutes (set to shut off after 30 minutes if not used, so this is not the issue)

4) When I am connected and I turn on the GPSr, it should tell me what USB mode I am in (File transfer, Power only, NMEA). This does not occur.

I do have the appropriate drivers installed from the CD that came with the GPS.

I am using a new 1GB SD card, just the normal kind, not the one for fast picture taking.

Thought maybe my SD card may be to large? Seems to be an issue with power supply from the USB i think.

I have the same problem with mine. I found that if I connect my gps to a power supply and then turn it on and wait until it tracks a few satillites, then hook up to a rear usb port on my computer, it works just fine. But the only thing I don't know why is that when I disconect the usb it shuts off in a couple of seconds.

I believe that the gps is designed to shut off when usb data signal is removed. To keep the gps powered on you need to press enter while in data xfer mode and select power only.

Now with that said, plan on ponying up $25-$35 for a new cable. Those are classic symptoms of a broken cable. It is intermittent right now, but it will soon fail completely.

I am on my third eXplorist cable. The SportTrak cables were much more surdy.

So do you mean that your gps goes into usb mode without the power cable attached. My gps is new and when I only plug in the usb I get an error saying that it does not reconize my gps.

Same problem I have right now. have an error message when I try to send to my 400.

I checked the power comming out of my cable using only the usb and I have 4.9v at the contacts. I also tried to power the gps without the battery and it does go on but the power indicator shows low battery. Also when I do connect my external power should my gps say that it is on a external power source. The battery indicator just goes up a little. I also took out my 1 gig card and same results. Also tried it on my old computer and guess what same thing. It can't be the cable if so many people are having the same problem. Anything else I could try.

I am having the same problem as several of you - my PC nor my laptop will recognise my Magellan Explorist 500, no mattter how many times I download the drivers etc, yet it will charge from the PC! I am taking what seems to me ot be the best advice on here, adn getting a new cable. I have just bought one now on ebay, so will let you know if it does the trick!