Quest Master?

spongebob218

Check his profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=d9...ff-64481bee890c

Looks like he got banned for some reason or other and he now voices disgust. But if you look further into his profile, it looks like at least one of his hides is not archived and gone.

If you read his profile carefully, sounds like he might be going to something like Terracaching or Navicaching.

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

His inidicator says he visited yesterday. A banned member can not visit. Sounds more like he is running an agenda. Which given his comments, sounds like "I am taking my ball and going home"

Quest Master

Edited by Packanack

His inidicator says he visited yesterday. A banned member can not visit. Sounds more like he is running an agenda. Which given his comments, sounds like "I am taking my ball and going home"

Quest Master

You're probably right......

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

What happened to Quest Master? More important, what site are his caches listed on now? I really enjoyed doing his caches and wanted to do them all, but poof, they're gone.

We do not speak his name!! We refer to him as "He who must not be appenged" or at the very least "You know who".

He has 40 caches available Right here on Navicache ;)

Including the anxiously awaited Burning Micro III

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

What happened to Quest Master? More important, what site are his caches listed on now? I really enjoyed doing his caches and wanted to do them all, but poof, they're gone.

We do not speak his name!! We refer to him as "He who must not be appenged" or at the very least "You know who".

I think they refer to him as "He who should not be named"

I think they refer to him as "He who should not be named"

Oh. When I said "we" that was just because I had a mouse in my pocket. ;) It looks like there are more caches by he who should not be named available on Navicache then were available here before the archivals. And yes, it probably did quadruple the number on that website. In Pa., that is. ;)

"He who must not be named"? sheeesh :P

Not sure exactly what happened, but it sure is nice to not hear all the constant drama about how someone feels about micros and all of the ridiculous "appenged" garbage. The local threads, chatter, and even the conversations have all changed and moved on (I believe for the better). Looks more like someone just couldn't evolve with the game and wants to be a victim.

For someone that wanted so much to share good caching with people - and he placed some really good ones out there - I personally find it strange that the caches would be archived (yes, you can still find them) and not adopted out to another local for maintenance. Would no one in that area and circle of cachers step up to maintain those quality caching experiences for Geocachers and Navicachers alike? Did everyone take their toys and go to Navicache?

Gee, now that those locations are available again on this site, what's stopping someone from sticking a good old micro out in the woods right next to a Navicache? Now that would be kind of funny ...

"He who must not be named"? sheeesh :D

Oh, just kidding about that. You know with a new Harry Potter book and movie currently being out. I'm sure many people don't even get it.

Not sure exactly what happened, but it sure is nice to not hear all the constant drama about how someone feels about micros and all of the ridiculous "appenged" garbage. The local threads, chatter, and even the conversations have all changed and moved on (I believe for the better). Looks more like someone just couldn't evolve with the game and wants to be a victim.

Where you might see a failure to "evolve with the game", I might see a unwillingness to "devolve with the game". History, after all, is full of examples of cultures and institutions that have devolved and imploded. Not that we know for a fact that is happening here. :P

For someone that wanted so much to share good caching with people - and he placed some really good ones out there - I personally find it strange that the caches would be archived (yes, you can still find them) and not adopted out to another local for maintenance. Would no one in that area and circle of cachers step up to maintain those quality caching experiences for Geocachers and Navicachers alike? Did everyone take their toys and go to Navicache?

Yeah, I see a couple of comments along the lines of "taking your ball, and running with it to Navicache" here, and that is to be expected. But I believe there are genuine issues here; namely the inablility to maintain the caches on this website, and send or receive emails about the said caches while serving seemingly random temporary banishments from TPTB at this website.

Gee, now that those locations are available again on this site, what's stopping someone from sticking a good old micro out in the woods right next to a Navicache? Now that would be kind of funny ...

THAT would be beyond funny.

I agree, that would be very, very funny. Heck, call them memorial caches and put them out there. Would it be like kicking the sand in the face of QM, sure. But, that would be the same attitude that the frog handed out bannishments to QM. (At least that is what I was told) If someone is up to the long hikes in the 'Cong there is nothing that would stop someone from doing exactly what you suggested.

I don't see the humor in that at all. Whether you like or dislike QM, the rest of us here would still have to deal with the barrage of micros that you think would be funny. Good quality caching areas would be turned into the same game that most areas already are suffering from. It wouldn't affect him one way or another, it would only hurt the hundreds of other local cachers who already lost some great caches. Yeah I guess I miss the humor on this one.

Man, I replied to almost everything ScoutingWV said, and I missed this?

I guess that would depend on your definition of funny. :P

Now what would really be funny is, after someone did this, another person followed right behind and collected all the micros. If I lived closer than 3 hours away, I'd be that very person. <_<

I don't see the humor in that at all. Whether you like or dislike QM, the rest of us here would still have to deal with the barrage of micros that you think would be funny. Good quality caching areas would be turned into the same game that most areas already are suffering from. It wouldn't affect him one way or another, it would only hurt the hundreds of other local cachers who already lost some great caches. Yeah I guess I miss the humor on this one.

Has nothing to do with liking or disliking QM or trying in some way to affect him. It's more a poke at all the micro-babble that's been going on around here for many, many, moons. And the "quality" cache would still exist, right? It's over on Navicache where he took them all. No one really lost anything, they're just on a different site. And changing the site sure doesn't change any part of the caching experience. QM placed some outstanding caches no matter where they're listed. I'm really glad he at least keeps them listed somewhere for folks to enjoy.

And I gotta tell you - I have never, ever, ever been convinced that a micro changes the area or the experience to get to and enjoy a location. I've sure never suffered because of a micro or any other type of container. If someone places a micro near any of the ones QM archived I'd absolutely still go. Heck, I've even done one of his that was a virtual - no ill effect by a container of any type there, eh? For me it's soooo not about the container. But that's just me and I do indeed understand your (and other's) point of view.

I guess I need to weigh in here.

I was banned twice for 30 days during which time I was unable to maintain my cache listings on this website. I cross-listed my caches on navicache.com during the first banishment and I pledged that I would be removing my caches from this website if it ever happened again. I meant it. Natuarally, it was my first point of business after the second banishment concluded to archive my caches from this website and it's a decision that I feel very good about. If they insist on censuring people by excluding them, they should expect that they are going to lose whatever they bring to the game, for better or worse. I am not the first and I'm sure that I won't be the last.

I try to maintain my caches at a high level. If I can't do that on this website, I'm more than willing to explore alternatives. I find that navicache has certain advantages from a hider's perspective. I can hide virts, change the cache type, move a cache as far as I like without reviewer interference, and I don't have to deal with this website's petty politics. There's also a lot less clutter. It may be true that navicache.com is a second-rate site with a lot fewer caches but that suits me just fine because I can easily remember when this website was just as clunky and had even fewer caches than navicache presently has. Geocaching was better back then...

My caches are not gone. They may be forgotten but they're not gone. I think that they're just as fun on the other website as they were on this one. I hope people will find them there and enjoy them just the same. I don't know how this is going to play out but at this point I have become convinced that a viable alternative to this website would be a wonderful thing. I feel that I'm doing right by providing content to support alternatives. Choice is good.

I take offense to the suggestion of hijacking my spots with micros or any other cache for that matter. I'm going to guard my spots jealously. The time-honored tradition of first-come, first served should be respected by fellow geocachers even if the individual websites cannot be expected to enforce it. It occurs to me that navicache.com could be used to list spoilers for hides on this website. Would that be funny too?

I think you've always maintained caches as you describe and I've always appreciated your efforts. You and I have met a couple of times (you were actually the first cacher I met on the trail) and I have absolutely nothing against you personally. I don't know the details of what you've been going through with TPTB and don't really need to. As I said before, I also think it's good for folks to know which site they can find the caches on should they decide to go find them.

I agree and those are some useful features over there some of which I think some folks would like on this site. I think that at least to some degree that same interference is what keeps these nasty micro objects at least 500 feet from the locations upon which said caches lie, eh?

Well, yeah. Everything has to begin somewhere. I remember seeing a link to some of the older versions of the site. Pretty interesting. As to "better", well everyone has their own opinion and frame of reference. It's impossible for me to know what it was like before I began in 2003 and that's OK. I'm just fine with the good and bad I've experienced since then and can deal with this site changing for a population and environment that keeps changing.

Yep. More choice can be good. But do you really think they're all forgotten just because you've archived them? Come on now. Less drama can be good, too. :(

Sorry you're offended by something intended as funny and not a a personal shot, but I think that as far as this site is concerend there aren't any caches at those locations any more. It's not hijacking anything if this site doesn't have anything that says a cache exists there. Time-honored tradition? Is it a tradition for cachers to archive their caches here and list them elsewhere? If so, you'd think more people would be visiting the other sites. First-come first-served works mostly because of the placement guidelines, not because everyone trolls through other listing sites to see if there's already a cache there.

It occurs to me that navicache.com could be used to list spoilers for hides on this website. Would that be funny too?

hmmm ... spoiler listing could be interesting. Shoot, nothing is stopping someone from making a site to do just that anyway. But it may be funny for a reason different than what you're thinking. Not sure how many folks would see them though. Probably as many that see the other spoiler sites out there for puzzles and such.

[Cue music. End drama.]

Glad you haven't entirely left the game. I know my experience has been made better by some of your caches. Even though they aren't listed here any more, it's good to know folks can still enjoy a day searching for a QM cache in the Cong. I hope this whole thing works out for you.

Now what would really be funny is, after someone did this, another person followed right behind and collected all the micros. If I lived closer than 3 hours away, I'd be that very person. :(

So you would deliberately steal someone else's cache just because you don't like it? What in the world would that accomplish? And wouldn't you also be robbing someone of the caching experience you had while rounding up the micros? Is this something that happens in your area? Most of the caches here stay in place and people decide whether or not they want to go to them on their own, not because someone has removed someone else's cache.

That's interesting. I've been saying for a couple years now that the social aspect of this game has become more interesting to me. I also find it interesting that the actual container is so much more important to some than the trip and the destination. That's in no way a judgment or anything, just an observation.

Conspicuous by its absence was any description of the circumstances that lead up to your " banishment."

Or at least your version of it.

Personally, I thought it odd that you removed your caches, yet remain a frequent visitor to the site. If you want to go, then go. Stop whining about the fact that others play it differently and stop moaning over imagined slights to your geo celebrity.

We have had locals who did not want to go, they enjoyed the game immensely. They were delightful to be around on a hike. They were loud, they were quiet, they were of many varieties, nerdy, outdoorsy. They were sometimes critical and other times forgiving.

But yet they had to-because of severe hardships, illness, death and family issues. One guy was left to raise two kids alone. Another attends to a dying spouse. One guy blew out a hip. Another has cancer.

You have manufactured your issues. Time for a reality check. This is a game, it is not life itself.

Now what would really be funny is, after someone did this, another person followed right behind and collected all the micros. If I lived closer than 3 hours away, I'd be that very person. :(

So you would deliberately steal someone else's cache just because you don't like it? What in the world would that accomplish? And wouldn't you also be robbing someone of the caching experience you had while rounding up the micros? Is this something that happens in your area? Most of the caches here stay in place and people decide whether or not they want to go to them on their own, not because someone has removed someone else's cache.

I'm guessing people can't tell when other people are making jokes, many with ScoutingWV's statement about the micros, and DocDitto's about removing them. Notice the ==>:( he posted.

Never mind anyways. I'm guessing that a majority of QM caches are on State lands with permit policies (and one I know of one on a private nature preserve with permission), so the chances of anyone getting the proper permissions or permits to drop a micro 10 feet away are almost zero. :blink:

Yeah .. you're right. I've got images all over the web that look broken. I've cleaned out the browser cache several times, but I'm beginning to think it's a sign of a bigger failure on the horizon. Thanks for pointing it out.

If I responded inappropriately to anything meant to be in jest, I apologize. I hope I was just noting an observation anyway and it wasn't seen as a shot at someone's character. I don't know DocDitto personally (however I'm always interested in meeting new cachers), but it seemed an odd statement to make. Without seeing the emoticon it does lose something, doesn't it? You'd think with my sarcastic sense of humor I would have picked up on that one, eh?

You know, I forgot about the State Gameland part of this, and I think you're right. I haven't had experience with PA officials, but if they are on their game and really do keep tabs on the placements then no one should be able piggy-back a permanent hide.

[joke] Maybe a one day event though ... "Quest for the Master micros! A journey through the Fayette Cong!" [/joke]

There are a lot of people aren't interested in using another site. If QM's cache sites are so great (and I have heard they are) who are you to tell people they can't hide caches in those spots and list them here whether they are micros, nanos or ammo boxes?

Conspicuous by its absence was any description of the circumstances that lead up to your " banishment."

I'm not trying to pry into why QM was banned twice for 30 days but I am curious as to what kinds of actions would get anyone banned temporarily and/or permanently? Isn't geocaching just a harmless game? Can someone give some examples?

Thanks,

Pris

Since we are asking questions, I would like a definitive link to a dictionary page upon which the word 'appenge' could be found. I am a linguist of sorts and enjoy learning new words but have been unsuccessful in finding that one.

Is this just a made up word?

TRI-GO Official Transitive Verb

appenge (-pnj)

tr.v. ap·peng·ed, ap·peng·ing

1. To censor or exclude.

2. Used in the imperative as a signal of angry dismissal.

SEE ALSO: Appenger; one who appenges.

Since we are asking questions, I would like a definitive link to a dictionary page upon which the word 'appenge' could be found. I am a linguist of sorts and enjoy learning new words but have been unsuccessful in finding that one.

You won't find it. It's just a horse which people in that circle keep beating to death. I think it's a conglomeration of the words "any possible agenda".

<edit: grammaticleness>

Edited by ScoutingWV

I'm not trying to pry into why QM was banned twice for 30 days but I am curious as to what kinds of actions would get anyone banned temporarily and/or permanently? Isn't geocaching just a harmless game? Can someone give some examples?

Thanks,

Pris

Mostly shennanigans right here in these forums. Here's a couple of permanently banned members that popped into my head right off the top: Broncoholics AKA Upinyachit, Basoon Pilot, and who could forget trackinthebox :lol:

There are dozens (maybe hundreds) more, but you get the point. Note the "status" of these members on their profile page, and the last time they logged in (which they're obviously not allowed to any more).

I'll not get into QM's two temporary banishments though, I'll let him explain if he so chooses.

Thanks! I appreciate the response. I did have my own thoughts on it, but thought I would ask. Three or four years ago I had explored this site but had not joined formally until now due to things I saw then and I have seen now.

I do enjoy this pasttime and look forward to contributing in a constructive manner.

Advice: Never confuse the forums with geocaching. Geocaching is a wonderful sport. The forums are where a very small percentage of geocachers discuss geocaching. There are thousands of geocachers who don't even know these forums exist and are happily pursuing the sport.

I'll not get into QM's two temporary banishments though, I'll let him explain if he so chooses.

But if you know, (or if anyone else does) could you or they offer an account of those activities as you understand them? Who knows if he will (or will ever be able to) reply himself? Personally, I think I'd rather hear someone else's view on it instead of bits and pieces that are a steady I'm-gonna-poke-you-with-a-stick-then-cry-like-I'm-a-victim posts he seems to want to always post.

Thanks! I appreciate the response. I did have my own thoughts on it, but thought I would ask. Three or four years ago I had explored this site but had not joined formally until now due to things I saw then and I have seen now.

I do enjoy this pasttime and look forward to contributing in a constructive manner.

Advice: Never confuse the forums with geocaching. Geocaching is a wonderful sport. The forums are where a very small percentage of geocachers discuss geocaching. There are thousands of geocachers who don't even know these forums exist and are happily pursuing the sport.

Only about 20% of the accounts ever created on this website have ever even looked at these forums, let alone posted to them. There is a way you can tell this, but the last time I posted it, I was scorned upon, and ridiculed. :lol:

"Advice: Never confuse the forums with geocaching. Geocaching is a wonderful sport. The forums are where a very small percentage of geocachers discuss geocaching. There are thousands of geocachers who don't even know these forums exist and are happily pursuing the sport."

By 'here' I was referring to things I had seen in other parts of the site. I don't pay much attention to what happens in the forums.

I should have been more precise earlier.

My bad.

But if you know, (or if anyone else does) could you or they offer an account of those activities as you understand them? Who knows if he will (or will ever be able to) reply himself? Personally, I think I'd rather hear someone else's view on it instead of bits and pieces that are a steady I'm-gonna-poke-you-with-a-stick-then-cry-like-I'm-a-victim posts he seems to want to always post.

I won't get into the reasons for my banishments on this forum for fear of retribution. If anybody wants to know about that, they can contact me off the board.

How is this thread even relevant to the NorthEast and considered on topic? It is about an individual with many borderline attacks by people. Love him, hate him, or could care less, it does nothing but open doors for insults and people spreading rumors by their guesses at what happened. If this was about one the "respected" cachers the thread would have been closed before one could have gotten all the letters of their caching name out.

Nah. Really, it just isn't that important.

Without commenting on the very little I know about any specific situation, or showing support for either party that might be in such a situation, let me say this:

Much like the workplace, free speech protection does not extend to these forums or a geocache listing (even if it's your own cache). Ultimately Groundspeak gets the final say. They have no obligation to apply any standard evenly, and may find one situation more offensive than another, even if it defies logic to outside observers.

Like it or not, and no matter which side of the argument you fall on, "them's the facts".

If this was about one the "respected" cachers the thread would have been closed before one could have gotten all the letters of their caching name out.

Sure and if it was closed earlier the mod would have been accused of closing it to suppress mentions of Navitrash. You can't win.

C'mon now, it has been shown that the word Navitrash oops, I mean Navicache used to be censored in these forums, and they "forgot" to un-censor it in emails sent through the website. :cool: But if the question is "what website are QM's caches listed on", and the answer is "they are available on Navicache", I suppose that question has been answered. :cool:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

How is this thread even relevant to the NorthEast and considered on topic?

Well ... It's an activity that happened in the region covered by the Northeast forums, and from reading the OP, it looks like the replies have been on topic regarding what happened and where the caches are listed.

It is about an individual with many borderline attacks by people.

That type of comment also opens doors. Sure. He couldn't have possibly done anything at all to deserve any of that stuff, right? He's only a victim, right? And that would relate to the OP's question about what happened to QM.

jeeez ...