keep muggles confused

benerval

Here is an idea for the "in-town" cache hunt that usually results in you being stared at (or worse, questioned by a cop who thinks you are a perv with a camera):

Carry a clipboard!! This allows you to keep any paper flat, and gives you a nice table to support your GPS on. It also gives you a stable place to write on a log, without poking holes in it. The clipboard gives the "look" like you belong in the area and usually nobody will pay attention. This helps to prevent many wasted minutes explaining to concerned locals and /or cops.

Anyone else have ideas/tips they want to share? :unsure:

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I like to use a full HAZMAT suit complete with full face mask and breathing apparatus. I find that not only does it prevent muggles from asking questions, it tends to chase them off completely. Oh, and the clipboard works to round out the look.

I just go for the simple camera.

When I was working in an office block (pre children).

A peice of paper and pen always made it look like I was doing something important. Even if I was 'gossiping' glancing at the paper and pointing to it with a pen (as long as they couldn't over hear you) was convincing enough most of the time.

Try carrying a handful of wood stakes. Drive them into the ground in a line that slowly turns toward the front of a house. This will flush out any muggles that have been peering out from behind the curtains. Hardhat, traffic vest, tape measure, clipboard, and spray paint can be helpful in adding to the muggle’s anxiety.

Wimseyguy could add hotgloves. :)

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I like to use a full HAZMAT suit complete with full face mask and breathing apparatus. I find that not only does it prevent muggles from asking questions, it tends to chase them off completely. Oh, and the clipboard works to round out the look.

I usually go a bit further, and also string white and orange plastic tape reading "WARNING -- TOXIC AND RADIOACTIVE MATERIALS!" around the entire search area, and also place a few orange traffic cones in strategic areas around the perimeter as well. I also carry a little portable radiation monitor with a small piece of uranium ore (available for a dollar on Ebay) taped to the sensor, so that it constantly emits a flashing red light and a series of alarming-sounding loud beeps.

We have a lot of the Tyvek bunny suits and portable radiation monitors, as we keep them on hand here as loaners for cachers seeking the final stage of our Psycho Urban Cache #9 -- Hot Glowing Tribulations.

I have many answers to the curious.

Lampost hides : I tell them we are contracted by city to check the lamposts to be sure they are working and for us to prove it we have to sign the log at a specific lampost.

Small structures or bench hides: I want to build that so I guess I have to take measurements and see how it is put together. So I just have to investigate it.

Rock hides: Dropped my ..........

Bush hides: Checking for diseases and bugs

Of course you need a clipboard...but put a small mirror at the top so you can slide in under mailboxes or newsstands.

If they see you wander and have the GPS: Well I am mapping out the area. Most muggles don't know anyway.

The police, well with them I just don't lie. Be honest

Cache GC117VD, called the Manhattan Project, is the dump site for the original nuclear testing in Chicago. Located in the Red Gate Woods forest preserve, it is completely unguarded, just a large granite marker in a clearing saying something to the effect of: "Caution, Nuclear Material Buried at this Site, Do not dig". Deffinitely not a place you want to pretend to be digging or looking for radioactive waste.

I confuse muggles by telling the truth. When I'm at a cache by rocks. Muggles say What are you doing? I say "looking at these rocks". Or if its a magnetic on a utility box. I say "looking at a utility box". They definately look confused and then just kinda say "oh" and walk away

HA HA HA HA!!!!

Try wearing a white goalie mask. Not only will the muggles stay away it helps keep those low hanging branches from jabing you in the face. And if your in really thick cover you can use a machete that adds to the affect as well. :surprise:

If that doesn't work, carrying a running chain saw helps.

Carrying a log book and a pair of binoculars around your neck works. When muggles get close just start writing in the log book. Look up occasionally then watch the muggle get confused when they can't see what you're looking at.

Carrying a log book and a pair of binoculars around your neck works. When muggles get close just start writing in the log book. Look up occasionally then watch the muggle get confused when they can't see what you're looking at.

I like the binocs idea. I have thought about doing the safety vest and clipboard thing but the binocs would seem to give you a free pass anywhere. "I am searching for ..."

Here is an idea for the "in-town" cache hunt that usually results in you being stared at (or worse, questioned by a cop who thinks you are a perv with a camera):

Carry a clipboard!! This allows you to keep any paper flat, and gives you a nice table to support your GPS on. It also gives you a stable place to write on a log, without poking holes in it. The clipboard gives the "look" like you belong in the area and usually nobody will pay attention. This helps to prevent many wasted minutes explaining to concerned locals and /or cops.

Anyone else have ideas/tips they want to share? :rolleyes:

I've also resorted to clipboard, works well if you are alone, when I'm with others, I like random pointing and animated discussions. Also collecting "soil samples" works. And there's the ubiquitous I gotta go pee

I sometimes dress like a homeless person, real scraggly and say "your trash might just be my treasure" etc.

I also use to be a bee-keeper, so I sometimes bring my old suit and veil, and tell them that I'm looking for either carpenter bee's or that half of one of our hives took off in a swarm with a queen that was booted from the hive and they sent me to recover them -- that usually clears them out in a hurry.

A friend of mine carries a rattlesnake rattle he picked up in Texas, it usually works for him around the bushes, different strokes for different folks.

Anyone else have ideas/tips they want to share? :o

I tell 'em I'm hunting scorpions for my little brother. Very few offer to help.

I haven't tried tried the orange safety vest yet but it sounds like it would work well with a clipboard to satisfy the mildly curious if I'm geocaching alone. That wouldn't work when my kids are with me unless there is a "bring your kids to work at a survey site day." With the kids, a camera and a notepad should work. Just take pictures of bugs and flowers and it looks a lot like a school project. If anyone asks, I have no problem telling them what we're really doing.

Mike

Taking a dog along works great.

But I love the clipboard idea. Or take a small "local herbsand plants" book with you.. if someone asks ask them if they happen to know where to find "long-latin-name-something" as it has to grow somewhere around here...everyone will leave you alone :)

I like the clipboard idea.

Something I know that doesn't work because of firsthand experience.

I was doing a bush search and a guy suprised me by walking up behind me and asking what I was doing. Quickly, I told him my fiance and I got in a fight and she threw the engagement ring in these bushes. I said I had come back to look for it.

I thought I was so smart, until he said "Oh my, I'll help you look"

Now I'm freaking out thinking what am I going to tell him when he finds this huge plastic container full of kids toys and junk?

It turned out the cache didn't exist (it had been muggled) but I always laugh when I think about it.