Google Maps

hyflyt

I built a route in Google Maps. Is there any connectivity to load it into my Vista HCx so I can reference it during a motorcycle ride?

If you created a route by drawing with the Google Maps "Draw a line" tool and simply want to upload the track to your GPSr:

save your route in Google Maps to a .kml file (click KML tab)

convert the .kml file in GPSBabel to Garmin .gdb

open the Garmin .gdb in Mapsource and upload to your GPSr

Make a map of your route to upload to your GPSr:

previous thread on making simple maps (see tutorial 2 for track map making)

Edited by rws

Wow, lot's of info in those links! On the gpsbabel.org site, which program is it that I want...the 1.3.4 beta?

A lot of that info in those referenced threads seems to be geared towards building topo maps. I just want to choose a route from point A to point B, mark out the roads on the map, load them into my Vista, and go ride. Will citynav accomplish this?

Wow, lot's of info in those links! On the gpsbabel.org site, which program is it that I want...the 1.3.4 beta?

A lot of that info in those referenced threads seems to be geared towards building topo maps. I just want to choose a route from point A to point B, mark out the roads on the map, load them into my Vista, and go ride. Will citynav accomplish this?

You originally said you had a route created in Google Maps and wanted to get it into your Vista.

Can't get any simpler than:

"If you created a route by drawing with the Google Maps "Draw a line" tool and simply want to upload the track to your GPSr:

convert the .kml file in GPSBabel to Garmin .gdb (and optionally upload directly to GPS)

open the Garmin .gdb in Mapsource and upload to your GPSr"

GPSBabel 1.3.4 will work just fine.

Of course you can create a route or a track (your choice) in Garmin Mapsource (CityNav)

In Mapsource click Help...Mapsource Help...under the Contents tab...(for creating routes) expand Routing...(for creating tracks) expand Working with Tracks....follow the directions.

Edited by rws

Can't get any simpler than:

"If you created a route by drawing with the Google Maps "Draw a line" tool and simply want to upload the track to your GPSr:

convert the .kml file in GPSBabel to Garmin .gdb (and optionally upload directly to GPS)

open the Garmin .gdb in Mapsource and upload to your GPSr"

Is there a way to save the GOOGLE 'get directions' route in the .kml file?

I just want to choose a route from point A to point B, mark out the roads on the map, load them into my Vista, and go ride. Will citynav accomplish this?

Depends on what you mean (exactly). If you mean "can the Vista GPSr with City Navigator do this directly?" (without the use of a PC to create the data) then the answer is "yes". ...and the GPSr will beep at you as you approach each intersection where you need to make a turn. For that you need the relevant CN map segments unlocked and correctly installed in this GPSr.

If you mean "can Mapsource with City Navigator be used to create the same data as the Google Earth?" then the answer is: "theoretically: "Yes", but practically: "not quite".

Google Earth route kml data include coordinates for all curves in the road so that when you move that trajectory into your GPSr, it looks as you expect. Mapsource has some scheme, where it does that for the first part of the route, but then switches to something where most of the curves in the road are omitted. So the route looks as you expect for a short distance, and then becomes so crude that it does not really look the way you expect, especially in hilly landscapes.

I would add to this discussion that there are two Google products: Google Earth and Google maps. They do routes differently (GE does one-segment routes, while GM does multi-segment routes). As far as I can tell, the instructions given above in this thread pertain to Google Earth.

If anyone has figured out how to save route data off of http://maps.google.com/ (i.e. Google Maps) then I would appreciate a hint on how to do a kml save that includes all the coordinates for the route trajectory. All opportunities to save things there seem to just store the URL and not the route data; I see no KML tab.

If anyone has figured out how to save route data off of http://maps.google.com/ (i.e. Google Maps) then I would appreciate a hint on how to do a kml save that includes all the coordinates for the route trajectory. All opportunities to save things there seem to just store the URL and not the route data; I see no KML tab.

The links upthread pointed me in the right direction and I've been working with it all day, it's fanstastic especially as I'm on a Mac and therefore can't use mapsource.

After saving the route in maps.google drawn with the line tool you click the 'link to this page' button and then you paste the URL link into here watch the tutorial or just click the link at the top of the page that says "MyMaps Converter" paste your URL in to the window and press the Load Map button. Then you can send it straight to the gps. It's awesome.

Edited by gallet

Look at http://www.get-a-route.com/. Here you can plan your way in Google Maps automatically or by hand and download it as one of the open standard files: OziExplorer waypoint file (.WPT), OziExplorer route file (.RTE) and GPX file. Loading such files to GPS (vista or something else) is easy.

I just tried this and the .gpx file can not be opened in my mapsourse? Says it cann't be imported?

Any ideas?

--danny

I just tried this and the .gpx file can not be opened in my mapsourse? Says it cann't be imported?

Any ideas?

--danny

I've fixed some problems with GPX convert procedure. Now resulting GPX is valid against official GPX XML Schema.

Unfortunately I have no last MapSource, so I cant check it for now.

Please try once again. Let me know if it has any mistakes so far.

Sergey.

Edited by sversh

Any ideas?

--danny

I've fixed some problems with GPX convert procedure. Now resulting GPX is valid against official GPX XML Schema.

Unfortunately I have no last MapSource, so I cant check it for now.

Please try once again. Let me know if it has any mistakes so far.

Sergey.

Mapsourse can now read the file in with no complaints. Thanks. Looking at it now.

--danny