Screen Protectors

Beal

I just bought the "Invisible Shield" screen protector for my Vista HCx. It was recommended to my by the guy at Offoute.com. Anyone use these things? Specifically, I'm nervous about applying this "application solution" that comes with the kit. There is nothing on the package that says it will not damage the GPSr. I'm also wondering if the shield can be removed with no damage to the unit or it's screen. Just thought I'd ask before I wipe this stuff all over it.

This is my very first GPSr. Do the screens scratch up easily? Any advise would be appreciated. :P

I just bought the "Invisible Shield" screen protector for my Vista HCx. It was recommended to my by the guy at Offoute.com. Anyone use these things? Specifically, I'm nervous about applying this "application solution" that comes with the kit. There is nothing on the package that says it will not damage the GPSr. I'm also wondering if the shield can be removed with no damage to the unit or it's screen. Just thought I'd ask before I wipe this stuff all over it.

This is my very first GPSr. Do the screens scratch up easily? Any advise would be appreciated. :P

I have used both the Invisible Shield and some of the other ones that just apply to the screen itself. I like the Invisible Shield much better. I applied quite easily and does not come off. I removed mine once after it was on for several months to see what would happen. I came right off...no residue at all. Of course, I had another Invisible Shield and promptly applied it and it has been on ever since.

The screens scratch VERY easily...so a screen protector is a MUST.

Hope this helps...

Put the shield on. If you don't want to use the bottled solution, mix up a little water with a drop or two of dish detergent in it. There's nothing wrong with the included solution though, many of us have used it successfully and it causes no damage. If it did, the Invisible Shield products wouldn't be the most popular screen protector out there -- and you'd read nothing but bad stuff about them here. That's definitely not the case. I use an Invisible Shield on my Rebel XTi camera and my 60CSx. I wouldn't think of taking either into the woods without their screen protectors.

I have used screen protectors supplied by my local office supply and electronics store, much cheaper and you get more of them for your money. They work just fine,,, oh did you say you wanted to use the item that you placed it on?

Just some pocket change wore a hole thru them.

Got Invisible Shield for my Etrex worked like a champ, outdoors, in my pack, in my pocket. I now only use them, have them on my camera, three Garmins, and my Palm t/x.

Worth every penny.. They are made for us..

The solution didn't hurt anything-- in fact, it made the application a lot easier than the protector I put on my cell phone. On the other hand, I'm not very happy with the "visibility" through the Invisible Shield. I was previously using my Vista HCx without the backlight at all when it was sunny, but the Invisible Shield adds a nasty glare/shadow pattern to the screen at an angle in bright sunlight, making it very hard to read.

With the backlight on, it works great, though.

I also am very pleased w/ the Invisible Shiled, and have also bought several of these - for cameras, pdas, smartphones, GPSr's etc. The 'application solution' is probably just water. it does not seem to even make the slightest bubbles when sprayed. I think the solution originally (2 or 3 years ago) had some detergent in it, but it does not seem to now. When they first started providing it, they were not allowed to ship it USPS, but now they can - that indicates to me that it is probably just water. And the little spray containers are really cool! I have about a dozen of these things around. My kids love to fill them w/ water (about 5cc) and then to use them to cool off with on these 105 degree days we have in Atlanta so often lately.

Anyway, I love these things. The only complaint I have w/ them is w/ the Full Body Shields they sell for some PDAs and Smart Phones. These tend to make a little bubble when they wrap around a tight corner. I have tried making some mods to them before I install them, but my success is only 'mostly' successful and not 'completely' successful.

I have removed these Invisible Shields from several devices and have had NO problems. The company is very good about replacing these if they ever get scratched. I had one replaced once when I had to return a Treo 650 for service/replacement - the company asked for the Invisible Shield that I had removed to be returned to them, and they sent me a replacement about a week later.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the company has been acquired by another company, and now they are publicly held, and probably a subsidiary of the larger company. Let's hope that the quality of the product stays high, and their customer service remains excellent, and their Lifetime Replacement policies remain unchanged.

I literally JUST installed my Invisible shields on my IPOD video and my 60CSx last week. They are phenominal!! Definately one of the best investments I've ever made.

After putting the one on my IPOD, I did the "install" on my GPSr. I actually found it easier to work with the more of the solution I sprayed on.

Great products, though....reccomend HIGHLY.

As already stated, use PLENTY of solution on the screen of the unit and on the sticky side of the shield. You can then slide the shield into the correct position. When it is in position, hold part of it down against the unit whilst GENTLY squeeging bubbles out (if you don't hold it down, you'll drag it out of position!). And then LEAVE it overnight. Have faith, remaining small bubbles will disappear over the next couple of days. The excess spray solution can be gently mopped up from the unit. It won't do any damage to it whatsoever, but don't open up the battery compartment until it is fully dried out.

Removing an Invisble Shield is no problem. I had one on my 60csx, but got rid of it because it stuck to the plastic window of the neoprene carrying case.

It stuck to it really hard, it looked like both plastic parts were melted together. I like the carrying case because of the lanyard hook.

So, tough luck for the Invisible Shield.

I got started with Invisible Shield a number of years ago and we've got them on everything...watch crystals, digital camera screens, iPods, phones, GPSes, other things...

One thing you can try to make applying the shield easier is to use "pure" hand sanitizer. It's basically gelled alcohol. Brush a thin, even coat on the adhesive side. The "working time" is much greater than the water/deterg/alcohol solution. (Make sure the product won't be harmed by alcohol and use at your own risk.)

This product SAVED my 76CS twice and my 76CSx three times. I would have utterly ruined the screens without the invisibleSHIELD. I have one on my watch as well. I swear by the product. As other's have said above, the liquid sold with them for applying the shield doesn't harm the unit in any way. The shield previously came with instructions for mixing a mild dish soap solution for application but they had so many people blow it (I'm not sure how they managed since it was very easy) that they started including their own mix of liquid for the application. Use plenty of it and the thing goes on very easily. I have no visibility problems with mine at all.