Cache Icons

Firth of Forth

Perhaps this has been suggested before....if so, please point me in the direction of any previous discussion.

An awful lot of of cachers like to collect icons, coins etc. It keeps some of the novelty of the game fresh, and probably satisfies those obsessional tendencies that a lot of us (myself included) possess.

I've been wondering whether it would be worth considering a few new categories of cache types with their own distinct icons. Examples might include caches that require other kinds of specific outdoor skills, such as:

Underwater caches only accessible by scuba diving;

Caches on rock faces only accessible with rock climbing equipment;

Caches on islands that require some kind of water vessel transport.

There are probably more examples that others could think of.

Two new icons have been added in the last 18 months or so - the Mega event icon and the GPS maze icon.

The Locationless icon is no longer available, and certainly the APE cache icon is tough, with 2 APE caches in the world.

The suggestions you made are all about being physically fit - scuba, rock climbing, well maybe not boating. I wouldn't expect Groundspeak to create new icons for caches which are so narrowly available. New icons for something? sure.

But not likely for what are already attributes on cache pages.

Just my opinion.

Two new icons have been added in the last 18 months or so - the Mega event icon and the GPS maze icon.

The Locationless icon is no longer available, and certainly the APE cache icon is tough, with 2 APE caches in the world.

The suggestions you made are all about being physically fit - scuba, rock climbing, well maybe not boating. I wouldn't expect Groundspeak to create new icons for caches which are so narrowly available. New icons for something? sure.

Just my opinion.

Mega events - well I suppose eventually there might be one outside of the US - but am I right in thinking that so far only the geocaching numbers in the Us can support such an event?

The GPS maze icon is only available to US cachers, as is the Project Ape icon, and the benchmark icon. More incentives for non-US cachers would be good. My suggestions include some other outdoor pursuits, but I'm sure that there are other possibilities. Actually, you don't have to be exceptionally physically fit to scuba dive. But you do have to be healthy.

Darn. I Thought this was gonna be a thread about me.

:P

I've been wondering whether it would be worth considering a few new categories of cache types with their own distinct icons.

Groundspeak is certainly aware of the appeal of icons (Geocoin custom icons and the Waymarking Category Grid are good examples), so this is an idea that could possibly get some traction.

I see kind of a fit here with cache attributes. Maybe some of the existing cache attributes could be made 'sticky' so that if you log a cache with that attribute, it somehow gets added as an icon to your profile. But not the "Public restrooms nearby" icon. I wouldn't want that as an icon in my profile.

Mega events - well I suppose eventually there might be one outside of the US - but am I right in thinking that so far only the geocaching numbers in the Us can support such an event?

The GPS maze icon is only available to US cachers, as is the Project Ape icon, and the benchmark icon. More incentives for non-US cachers would be good. My suggestions include some other outdoor pursuits, but I'm sure that there are other possibilities. Actually, you don't have to be exceptionally physically fit to scuba dive. But you do have to be healthy.

Um, a Mega Event was just held in Germany about a month ago - GCYNMZ. :P

Um, a Mega Event was just held in Germany about a month ago - GCYNMZ. :laughing:

And 50% of the current Project APE caches are outside the US. :P

Just my opinion.

Wrong. there is a Ape cache in Brazil.

Um, a Mega Event was just held in Germany about a month ago - GCYNMZ. :P

My german is a bit (okay - really, really) rusty, but it looks like that event was archived without ever happening.

Um, a Mega Event was just held in Germany about a month ago - GCYNMZ. :cry:

My german is a bit (okay - really, really) rusty, but it looks like that event was archived without ever happening.

Yep - archived in May and was due to take place in September (no reason given). I'm not aware of any other Mega events outside of the USA.

OK, not many people, either US or not, are going to achieve a Project Ape icon, so its existence is rather pointless. That leaves (I think) only 9 different cache icons that a non-US cacher is likely to achieve.