Vista HCx compass calibration

hyflyt

Just got the Vista HCx. I was able to calibrate the compass the first time I tried it. Now, it fails every time I try it. I rotate it four times before the status bar gets close to the end and then it states the calibration has failed. I've tried it with the compass on and off, after turning the unit on and off, took the batteries out, etc. Any suggestions?

Were you outdoors & far away from any metal (iron or steel in particular) objects? I was surprised the other day just how sensitive the compass was on both my Vista C & HCx. If my GPSr was within 2 inches of a deck screw, the compass was all messed up!

Can one assume that you calibrate it ONCE or each time it is turned back on?

Just got the Vista HCx. I was able to calibrate the compass the first time I tried it. Now, it fails every time I try it. I rotate it four times before the status bar gets close to the end and then it states the calibration has failed. I've tried it with the compass on and off, after turning the unit on and off, took the batteries out, etc. Any suggestions?

Are you getting the "just right" message while you're turning the unit? If not, check that you're holding it flat, and not turning it too fast or slow.

Both my Garmin GPSrs let me know when I need to calibrate the compass. There is a "need to calibrate" message that pops up. This will usually happen if you are a fair distance from where you last calibrated your GPSr. I'm not sure what the exact number is or exactly how Garmin determines calibration is necessary, but it happens a few times each year for me when I travel about 50 miles or so from my usual location.

... far away from any metal (iron or steel in particular) objects?

That must've been it! I had it laying on my desk at work. Just calibrated it with no issues in the middle of the living room...with 8 satellite reception I might add; my Cx wouldn't get any satellites standing in the same position.

Thanks.