Vista HCx and 60 CSx

In the words of the sage, all GPS receivers suck. They just suck in different ways. The main difference between the 60x and etrex Hx line now appears to be form factor. The 60 (and 76) have buttons on the front, they are bigger, their screens are a little bigger, but not as bright. The Legend/Vista is lighter, has buttons on the side and a click stick. Its smaller screen may not appeal to us old folks with poor near vision, but it is reported to be brighter. I've never had any trouble reading the screen on the 60.

Edit: By the way, this is becoming such a frequently asked question that we should probably put a link to a good thread in the FAQ posted at the top of the forum. If people posting to this thread can kindly stay on topic as to pros and cons of 60/76x units vs. Legend/Vista HCx units, maybe Robert will link this thread as the "go-to" place for answers to this question.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I currently use a Venture Cx, which is less than a year old and a great GPSr. Sometimes in deep cover I get drift or loose signal unless I keep the GPSr screen side up and flat on my hand. Are the HCx enabled GPSr’s as fickle with their internal antennae?

I really enjoy the shape and size of my eTrex, but would be willing to switch to a 60Cx because of the antennae issue. Can someone tell me other than form and screen size, what are the accuracy differences in the HCx line and the Sirf III line? Also, I know people with a 60 who leave it on a lanyard hanging from their neck, and because of the external antennae it does not loose signal, are the HCx’s capable of this?

The 60 series has USB and Serial, is this just so anyone can use it, or do you need a Serial port to access it?

The main difference between the 60x and etrex Hx line now appears to be form factor. The 60 (and 76) have buttons on the front, they are bigger, their screens are a little bigger, but not as bright.

I got my FIRST GPS last week. The Vista HCx. I thought about the 60 long and hard. Screen size was one issue but as I recall they are the SAME in numbers of pixels, just different in ratio.

The throttle stick control can be annoying since it is 5 position including press for enter which frequently gets interpreted differently. While the button layout on the 60 may be easier to use (haven't tried it) the weight and size factor was my determining quantity. BTW, I get no less than 7 sats in heavy canopy.