duplicate tracking number?

narcissa

I originally posted this in the CCC forum, but I thought I'd distribute it a little more widely...

I recently purchased a geocoin from someone on ebay, as a gift for my bf. I had it sent to him directly.

I've never had any problems buying coins on ebay before. Of course, the one time I do have a problem, it's when it's a gift for someone else. *sigh*

The coin was sent remarkably fast, even before my PayPal e-cheque cleared. Unfortunately, the coin had already been activated!!! The seller is apparently getting a new one sent, but at this point I'm quite wary and would rather just get a refund.

The seller claims that it's a manufacturing error - two coins were made with the same tracking number. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

I originally posted this in the CCC forum, but I thought I'd distribute it a little more widely...

I recently purchased a geocoin from someone on ebay, as a gift for my bf. I had it sent to him directly.

I've never had any problems buying coins on ebay before. Of course, the one time I do have a problem, it's when it's a gift for someone else. *sigh*

The coin was sent remarkably fast, even before my PayPal e-cheque cleared. Unfortunately, the coin had already been activated!!! The seller is apparently getting a new one sent, but at this point I'm quite wary and would rather just get a refund.

The seller claims that it's a manufacturing error - two coins were made with the same tracking number. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

It is not uncommon for a tracking number to be duplicated, mis-engraved, or otherwise missing. Mistakes happen from time to time. It's quite possible that the owner of the Ebay coin never even typed in the tracking number, and just assumed it was unactivated. I'd be happy to research the coin, if you'd like, and you can email me offline to do so.

Check there feedback if you haven't done so already. If it's good then I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, moop is right stuff happens all the time.

You can try contacting the mint on the flip, but there are companies who actually pull out the authentic flip and put there own in(I guess to try and pass the coin off as theirs), so they may not be able to help you.

Moop Along is trustworthy with the code though if you need help and he's offered.

Moop Along is trustworthy with the code though if you need help and he's offered.

Aw shucks, thanks :laughing:

Seriously though, I'm assuming by the "CCC" in the OP's note, that it's really a GCC (GeocoinClub) coin. I am in daily contact with them (GCC) and I also have lots of their Club coins. I was offering to either track down the code error, or possibly replace the activated coin with an unactivated version if I have one. No worries :wub:

Duplicates happen. I just got through sending out a version of a coin but before doing so, I went through all 250 coins and checked off tracking numbers. I found there were a total of 12 coins that had duplicate tracking numbers. (6 pairs matched). I pulled the duplicates and made keychains with those. So yup, it does happen. I don't think many people or coin companies have the time to check each tracking number individually and considering that more people collect than activate these days (it seems), the chances of a duplicate coin being activated are slim (that is my opinion). You might give the seller a chance to fix the error, it may have been something the seller was honestly unaware of. Quite honestly, I've sold very few coins on ebay and when I have, I've never run the tracking number on gc.com before but from now on, I think I will.... learned something today :laughing:

Good luck either way...

~tsun :wub:

We had a GCC coin with a dupe number - not a rarity, and it happens - after all, the mints, manufacturers, etc.. are ALL human! LOL (Believe it or not!)

I wouldnt be wary of the seller if the communication is good. Not at all.

Errors happen, and if they are offering a new coin replacement - they certainly seem on the up and up.

I have seen at least one case of the wrong code getting activated

Often "6" and "8" are hard to destinguish on coins, especially ones with a small type font used for the code

In the instance that I am familiar with, the coin had a "6"

However, there was also a valid code that had an "8" in the same position

It would appear that the owner retrieved the activation code for the "8" code

The "6" code was still un-activated at the time

Since the coin already had several logs, I just went ahead and logged it under the activated code, and let it be

There are other letters that can also be confused

It depends a lot on the font used, as well as the size and quality of the engraving