Do you cheat at patience?

Delta68

Do you cheat at patience?

When playing one of the many one-person card games do you make illegal moves in order to win?

Yes? No?

What would be the point if you're only cheating yourself?

By now you are probably thinking, "What on earth is this muppet wittering on about now?"

We did our first webcam cache yesterday and when we came to log it I was amazed at how many people logged photos which aren't actually webcam images!

Sorry, but I just don't see the point..... :o

We did our first webcam cache yesterday and when we came to log it I was amazed at how many people logged photos which aren't actually webcam images!

Sorry, but I just don't see the point..... :o

I can't see that it matters, if the cache owner is prepared to accept the picture submitted then that's O.K. Sometimes there can be problems getting the webcam picture off, e.g. if it's down or if you have trouble finding someone to grab it for you. Anyway at least a regular picture proves that the visitor was there, with most webcam caches the easiest way to cheat would be to grab any image and just say "that's me near the lampost, wall, etc...." as the pictures are usually of such poor resolution it's impossible to identify individuals.

BTW I dont do patience.

It's up to the owner to police webcam caches, and for some (many?) proof that the cacher was there -i.e. a photo of them at GZ with their GPS- is good enough. However, this cache has nothing about non-web-cam pictures in its description, which does make posting a NWC pic that bit naughtier.

This is the gallery of the cache in question.

Some webcams or their pages can be very unreliable, like this one for example, or this one, which makes 'personal photos' the only sensible option. That doesn't seem to be the case above, mind.

Don't see the problem with using your own photos with the Warwick Uni web cam.

Not that long ago the webcam itself was not working for rather a long time (It's on our 'near to home' list, so keep an eye on it!) The background with that one is rather distinctive, so as long as its not just a head shot with a GPSr in hand, it is possible to tell where you are.

We are trying to work out how to get this one -with a web cam pic- its just how? without letting on to friends that we Geocache!

Wonder if there's Wi-Fi there?

Thats you is it? In the webcam pic? :o Why not face the webcam? :laughing:

Yep. I cheat BIG TIME at Patience!

Its half the fun of the game! :blink:

G

Aren't w/c caches notoriously unreliable generally?

Having checked a few logs out in the past they are often down or have been moved onto other objects, so to try and stick within the spirit of the job we tend not to bother with them.

The only one we have logged is at the visitor centre in the Cairngorms, the one at the top of the fancy railway, TPTB had switched it on to a Pied Wagtails nest (Ahhhhh!!!!!) so we took a photo of the webcam, where it should have been pointing and of the PW on its nest on the monitor.

As far as I know that was acceptable, as we heard nothing from the cache owner.

Patience, what ?!**$£ patience?????

H

We are trying to work out how to get this one -with a web cam pic- its just how? without letting on to friends that we Geocache!

Wonder if there's Wi-Fi there?

There is Wi-Fi but it's not available for general use.

I thought about using the Mio P550 talking to the mobile phone via Bluetooth but I couldn't even get the webcam image to display on the Mio when it was connected straight to a pc.

Plan B was to write a program to do screen grabs at short intervals. (I think JimJinks did something similar)

This worked fine on my work pc but kept crashing at home and I didn't want to risk a wasted journey

In the end I just asked a colleague (whom I introduced to geocaching and has done a grand total of 1) to do a screen grab and I phoned him up when we were there.

I wanted a picture of just the dogs on GZ but it was a bit too busy... :o

My computer won't let me cheat at patience, and I haven't played it with real cards for about 14 years!

I've seen a few webcam caches where people have been to the location, but found that the camera wasn't working. In this case, I think it's acceptable to prove you've been there by taking a photo of yourself and your gps, and logging that cache. I think most webcam cache owners feel the same and will allow this.

Edit to add:

If you're having problems getting the webcam picture, and don't want to have to phone a mate or colleague to get them to capture it for you, there's a great free facility that a german guy (Elachimo) has set up where you set up his service in advance, then when you're at the cache, phone his number, let it ring 2-4 times and then hangup(so it doesn't cost anything), and his server will capture the photo and email it to you.

Elachimo's Webcamservice

Edited by NickPick

I don't see this as cheating at all.

The point a cache is to get you to the final location and you must prove by photo or signing a log that you have done that. Who cares if the photo didn't come from the web cam.

Maybe their friends were out doing stuff rather than sitting in waiting for a call asking them to hit a button on their PC. :o

Imagine a 'foot' match (we call soccer overhere) where you stand in front of the goal without a goalie and can kick in as many goals as you want. What satisfaction does that give ?

I can understand that people pump steroids into their body to win olympic games and the like, because success can mean big money latter on - but for games of no financial rewards ?!!! :laughing:

The point a cache is to get you to the final location and you must prove by photo or signing a log that you have done that.

Depends entirely on how you play the game..... for me, if I can't find the cache because I wasn't looking in the right place, or it had been muggled, or I just didn't get it - it's a DNF - whether I log it or not. If I get to the right spot, and take a pic, that's no proof that I found the cache, and I wouldn't log that it was, even if as this is a webcam cache, the area is very specific.

At the end of the day, if I go to find a cache and don't for whatever reason, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. That's life. It just gives me something to do another day.

G

There is a German website which you visit and enter your mobile number and the URL of the camera. Then standing in front of the camera you ring the number on your mobile (it doesn't answer so it doesn't cost you) and when you get home you have an e-mail with the picture. It really does work!

The point a cache is to get you to the final location and you must prove by photo or signing a log that you have done that.

Depends entirely on how you play the game..... for me, if I can't find the cache because I wasn't looking in the right place, or it had been muggled, or I just didn't get it - it's a DNF - whether I log it or not. If I get to the right spot, and take a pic, that's no proof that I found the cache, and I wouldn't log that it was, even if as this is a webcam cache, the area is very specific.

At the end of the day, if I go to find a cache and don't for whatever reason, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. That's life. It just gives me something to do another day.

Sure, if there's a physical cache you must find it and sign the log (unless there's a pretty good reason why not to) and if it's some sort of a virtual you must get to the coordinates and prove you did. I'm just saying, how you prove that isn't really important.

In my opinion the point of webcam caches is to take you to places you wouldn't normally go. We've been to two so far, the first one being in San Francisco, we couldn't get a hold of ANYBODY so my husband took a picture of me holding the GPS in the general area (next to the sea lions at Pier 39), but we were there, do I feel bad for logging it, no! The second one was in a desert town out in the middle of nowhere, we had an event out there and of course tons of resourses to get a webcam photo downloaded. Of course this time the webcam was down :laughing:Gerlach Burning Man Webcam. So we took a group photo in front of the water tower. Good enough, proved we were there!

Do I cheat at patience? No

Do I care if other people do? No, not in the least.

Do I care a hoot if people post dubious logs on webcam caches, double log caches, add extra logs for finding temporary event caches? No - not in the slightest.

Why should I care? Because these people may get a higher number count than me? Is there a better reason?

Acutally I lied. I do cheat at patience :laughing: