Grays Harbor Cache Machine

travisl

Is there a suggested method of paying a share of the deficit for those of us who didn't attend the dinner, but had indicated our intention to attend at some point during the planning process? I would like to contribute my share but I don't know who to give the money too...I'm sure others are wondering the same thing.

That's a can of worms I'm going to hand to Travis. (Sorry Travis!) The money came from those who attended. No names were taken and no accounting was made other than tallying the total to ensure that the restaurant received the amount they had been promised. It was like the ending of the movie It's a Wonderful Life. Perhaps whatever comes in to compensate for that can go into a Cache Machine Slush Fund or some such.

I just wanted to say that the additional funds that I put in the collection basket at the end of dinner I consider a contribution to Good Caching Karma :P No need to reimburse me.

I also put in some additional funds. And that's fine with me.

I really like the Cache Machine Slush Fund idea.

I know part of the problem with the dinner part of the event has been the ability to secure a location without having to put down a large deposit. As the attendance for cache machines gets larger this will continue to be a problem. The slush fund idea might be a good idea. That way people can contribute as they can or are able and then the organizers of the next CM will have some funds available to use to make the dinner arrangements.

Donating to ensure that the deposit was covered did make for an expensive dinner for leonata and I. But if the folks who were counted on to attend the meal but did not make it for one reason or another were to contribute a bit to a future cache machine slush fund, we'll consider ourselves covered.

Thanks for the idea.

I will check and see if we can set up a separate fund balance within the WSGA coffers earmarked for Cache Machines using our paypal account. That way if people want to contribute, they could just send some bucks via paypal into the slush fund for future needs.

I was thinking the same thing -that perhaps the WSGA could help out in the 'Petty Cash Cache Machine Fund'. But, I also think that there needs to be some sort of checks and balances and easy accounting and guidelines for us (the WSGA) and CM organizers if something like this is wanted and/or needed. Based on my experience with putting on the Spokane Cache Machine, I don't think the WSGA wants to get into the business of cache machines... but I think it certainly is within our mission to help out where we can :P

On a side note (for what it is worth), the Vancouver HomeTown Buffet, Vancouver Plaza, 7809-B Ne Vancouver Plaza Drive, Vancouver, WA 98662, (360) 256-9420 has a banquet room that seats 60, and of course more seating in the main area, for no fee other than dinner for those attending. Rick Adair is the manager, and they said they're pretty slow between Christmas and New Years... and I bet there are even more dining options in the area, but they do book up fast!

Edited by Lookout Lisa

I'm not going to say that a "Dinner Slush Fund" is something that the WSGA couldn't do, in fact other than a bit of extra work for the treasurer, it would be fairly easy to setup. I just wonder if it is appropriate and if it fits within our charter.

The WSGA is not an official sponsor of Cache Machines and has avoided being officially part of them for a number of reasons. While it's true that several WSGA officers (including me) have put on cache machines when Travis was on his haitis, we did so as individuals.

This isn't the first time that someone got stuck for the Dinner bill after a cache machine. It happened after Wenatchee. It's just that that time it wasn't well known by everyone that it happened.

Perhaps a better thing to do would be to collect in advance for dinner. It sure would make planning easier

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

Wow. I feel like the luckiest man in town. I can't express my appreciation enough to everyone who contributed. You sure none of you angels don't already have wings?

wonderful.jpg

I tend to agree with RWW, though, that I'm not sure the WSGA is the right place to hold CM slush funds. I've never asked the WSGA for support of CM events, and I understand the organization's desire to distance themselves from what some -- rightfully or wrongfully -- consider to be a way to pad numbers and perhaps against the spirit of geocaching. That's not an area in which the organization should be render an official or tacit position on.

We learned in Wenatchee that when the organizer commits funds in advance without having the funds in hand from attendees, there exists a large chance that the participants will not come through. I didn't figure that would be the case this time, and is in fact the reason I committed less than the 101 people who said they would attend.

I don't see the need to have the fund, really. I don't plan on committing funds in advance for future events, and highly recommend against anyone else doing the same.

So what should be done with the surplus? Maybe it should go to the Wenatchee organizer who got stiffed. And maybe the people who didn't show for the GH event who want to contribute should contact her.

That is a great idea to reimburse Robinego! While having the WSGA take care of a CM slush fund is a nice idea, it really isn't something the organization should mess with.

If a CM dinner has to be held at a place like this in the future, we can avoid having this problem again by having people pay in advance. A little more work to organize, but much better than having the organizer get burned.

That is a great idea to reimburse Robinego! While having the WSGA take care of a CM slush fund is a nice idea, it really isn't something the organization should mess with.

If a CM dinner has to be held at a place like this in the future, we can avoid having this problem again by having people pay in advance. A little more work to organize, but much better than having the organizer get burned.

Geez, a person can only lurk <_< so long before she has to actually get off her butt and reply...

I would feel very uncomfortable taking any money and honestly can't remember how much it was. What's done is done and no action is needed.

(That said, my son turned 16 and is now driving...wanna talk insurance rates...? :rolleyes:)

First off: Thanks, Travis, for another spectacular Cache Machine! :lol: You even got the weather to cooperate! It was a lovely day on the coast with a great group of friends, new and old. :D

Second, want to throw in my 2 cents about the dinner dilemma (all I have left after paying $25 for it):

• The Ocean Palace was a great venue. They closed the front of their restaurant for our exclusive use on a Saturday night, based on our promise of a large dining party. The staff were wonderful, the food was good and plentiful, and they made concessions to help alleviate our cash shortfall. They deserve repeat business from anyone visiting Aberdeen.
  • Per Travis, there were 101 RSVPs for dinner. Based on that, he paid a $200 deposit and guaranteed the restaurant a minimum of 85 adult diners. In the past, we've often had more folks at dinner than expected (CMs have been running 100+ hungry bodies), so this didn't seem unrealistic.
  • However, it was apparent during dinner that we didn't have the required 85 folks. I did several counts, and conferred with Mr. Caching Cowles Clan (our resident host), Mrs. Shop99er, and the restaurant manager. The official count was 57 adults plus a few kids. This means that 40+ people who said they'd be there didn't show up. <_< Even when the manager generously offered to count kids as adults for accounting purposes, we were still missing 23 people - a shortfall of $345.
  • We didn't feel Travis should be stuck with the bill (we wanted him to continue doing CMs... :lol:). So before folks starting leaving, I made an announcement and asked everyone to contribute what they could. Prying Pandora stood up front with a basket, and she's right: It was just like the scene in "It's a Wonderful Life." People rushed forward with cash, and within 5 minutes we had the entire amount. I paid the manager the outstanding balance and gave the leftover amount (about $20-30) to Prying Pandora for safe-keeping until we determine what to do with it. (There was no practical way to redistribute it.)
  • We initially thought the extra cash could start a fund for the next CM dinner. I agree that the WSGA shouldn't be involved, as it's not a club function. Travis says he doesn't want it, and in future, we shouldn't handle dinners this way. Either we prepay (via PayPal?) or find a place that doesn't require a deposit (the Spokane folks made a great find in Old Country Buffet). I endorse the notion of sending the extra cash to Robinego to reimburse her for her significant shortfall at the Wenatchee CM dinner two years ago. (Yeah, she's protesting, but she's selfless that way. :lol:) Perhaps Prying Pandora could send her the existing cash, and Ambrosia could collect any additional funds for Robinego from our missing diners who want to help repay the debt.

Finally, in the spirit of one Seattle paper:

• Rave: To Travis, for another great Cache Machine. You da man!
  • Rave: To Ocean Palace, for a great venue, good food, and a friendly, gracious staff. (Travis, they should be returning your deposit check, as agreed.)
  • Rave: To the cachers attending the dinner, for their generosity in making up the cash shortfall.
  • Rant: To the cachers who RSVP'd for dinner and didn't show up. We paid for our dinner and yours, too. :rolleyes: For those who had been concerned about a $15 dinner, this was an unwelcome surprise. Unlike (most) other CM dinners, this one had a prepaid commitment, as Travis made clear. If you were unsure you'd be able to attend (due to financial, scheduling, or other reasons), you should not have said you'd be there, since Travis based his commitment to the restaurant on your responses, and they closed their doors to other diners due to the anticipated size of our party. Canceling at the last minute, or not showing up, left the attendees holding a $345 check. Fortunately, Travis is not out any money, and it's impractical (and unnecessary) to reimburse the rest of us. However, Robinego did not fare so well two years ago at Wenatchee. Even if you didn't attend that CM, perhaps you could send her (via Ambrosia?) $15 for each person who RSVP'd the Grays Harbor dinner but didn't attend. Just a thought.

OK, maybe that was 4 cents. :lol:

Edited by hydnsek

First off: Thanks, Travis, for another spectacular Cache Machine! :lol: You even got the weather to cooperate! It was a lovely day on the coast with a great group of friends, new and old. :D

Second, want to throw in my 2 cents about the dinner dilemma (all I have left after paying $25 for it):

• The Ocean Palace was a great venue. They closed the front of their restaurant for our exclusive use on a Saturday night, based on our promise of a large dining party. The staff were wonderful, the food was good and plentiful, and they made concessions to help alleviate our cash shortfall. They deserve repeat business from anyone visiting Aberdeen.
  • Per Travis, there were 101 RSVPs for dinner. Based on that, he paid a $200 deposit and guaranteed the restaurant a minimum of 85 adult diners. In the past, we've often had more folks at dinner than expected (CMs have been running 100+ hungry bodies), so this didn't seem unrealistic.
  • However, it was apparent during dinner that we didn't have the required 85 folks. I did several counts, and conferred with Mr. Caching Cowles Clan (our resident host), Mrs. Shop99er, and the restaurant manager. The official count was 57 adults plus a few kids. This means that 40+ people who said they'd be there didn't show up. :rolleyes: Even when the manager generously offered to count kids as adults for accounting purposes, we were still missing 23 people - a shortfall of $345.
  • We didn't feel Travis should be stuck with the bill (and we wanted him to continue doing CMs... :lol:). So before folks starting leaving, I made an announcement and asked folks to contribute what they could. Prying Pandora stood up front with a hat, and she's right: It was just like the scene in "It's a Wonderful Life." People rushed forward with cash, and within 5 minutes we had the entire amount. I paid the manager the outstanding balance and gave the leftover amount (about $20-30) to Prying Pandora for safe-keeping until we determine what to do with it. (There was no practical way to redistribute it.)
  • We initially thought the extra cash could start a fund for the next CM dinner. I agree that the WSGA shouldn't be involved, as it's not a club function. Travis says he doesn't want it, and in future, we shouldn't handle dinners this way. Either we prepay (via PayPal?) or find a place that doesn't require a deposit (the Spokane folks made a great find in Old Country Buffet). I endorse the notion of sending the extra cash to Robinego to reimburse her for her significant shortfall at the Wenatchee CM dinner two years ago. (Yeah, she's protesting, but she's selfless that way. <_<) Perhaps Prying Pandora could send her the existing cash, and Ambrosia could collect any additional funds for Robinego from our missing diners who want to help repay the debt.

Finally, in the spirit of one Seattle paper:

• Rave: To Travis, for another great Cache Machine. You da man!
  • Rave: To Ocean Palace, for a great venue, good food, and a friendly, gracious staff.
  • Rave: To the cachers attending the dinner, for their generosity in making up the cash shortfall.
  • Rant: To the cachers who RSVP'd for dinner and didn't show up. We paid for our dinner and yours, too. :lol: For those who had been concerned about a $15 dinner, this was an unwelcome surprise. Unlike (most) other CM dinners, this one had a prepaid commitment, as Travis made clear. If you were unsure you'd be able to attend (due to financial, scheduling, or other reasons), you should not have said you'd be there, since Travis based his commitment to the restaurant on your responses, and they closed their doors to other diners due to the anticipated size of our party. Canceling at the last minute, or not showing up, left the attendees holding a $345 check. Fortunately, Travis is not out any money, and it's impractical (and unnecessary) to reimburse the rest of us. However, Robinego did not fare so well two years ago at Wenatchee. Even if you didn't attend that CM, perhaps you could send her (via Ambrosia?) $15 for each person who RSVP'd the Grays Harbor dinner but didn't attend. Just a thought.

OK, maybe that was 4 cents. :lol:

Well said Abby...thank you.

Due to family emergency, I couldn't make the event. But I am curious if my "will attend" note for the EVENT was counted as a dinner reservation. I certainly didn't indicate I would make the dinner, so wonder if every "will attend" the event was also assumed for dinner as well? Or was the count based on actual written numbers?

August 9 by mudsneaker (1139 found)

looking forward to another fun run, just hope I don't have to many already found.

Just curious......

Due to family emergency, I couldn't make the event. But I am curious if my "will attend" note for the EVENT was counted as a dinner reservation. I certainly didn't indicate I would make the dinner, so wonder if every "will attend" the event was also assumed for dinner as well? Or was the count based on actual written numbers?

looking forward to another fun run, just hope I don't have to many already found.

Just curious......

Well, since the event WAS the dinner (not the running around all day caching), if I were doing the organizing/counting, you would have been counted as attending the dinner. But as I'm not that person , I can't speak for Travis.

Just curious......

I heard someone once suggest that perhaps there should be another drop down menu option on Event "will attend" selections. A drop down box that would appear if you selected "will attend". A drop down box that would mark how many people would attend per each caching name and that would electronically correspond to a running total of "people will attend" under the hint area where those nice little icons already are. I'm not saying that this would have prevented what happened at the GHCM dinner, but it's something to mull over and could be helpful for future event planners (cache machine, cito, beer fest, coin party, or other.)

Just curious......

I heard someone once suggest that perhaps there should be another drop down menu option on Event "will attend" selections. A drop down box that would appear if you selected "will attend". A drop down box that would mark how many people would attend per each caching name and that would electronically correspond to a running total of "people will attend" under the hint area where those nice little icons already are. I'm not saying that this would have prevented what happened at the GHCM dinner, but it's something to mull over and could be helpful for future event planners (cache machine, cito, beer fest, coin party, or other.)

I think this is the thread you're talking about.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=168304&hl=

I have no idea how hard it would be to implement but I think it's a good idea. I recently organized a bike ride and BBQ. Getting a good count, so I knew how much food to buy, was the one of biggest challenges. This was also the case during the SCM2. My limited experience with events is that a few people who RSVP, can't make it and a few attend at the last minute, with out RSVPing. Generally it balances out. I was surprised by the low turn out on Saturday.

I'm sorry you couldn't make it Mudsneaker, we were looking forward to seeing you again. I hope everything worked out alright.

Just curious......

That was me (forum link here) --I just hate combing through all the 'will attend' logs to try to sort out exactly how many 'we' are, head count and who is really in the 'clan' 'tribe' 'family' and all that. We all know that plans change as events draw near; and then folks need to post again saying sorry, or please add x to my count... so hard to track!! I just thought that a running count on the page would be very helpful.