Grays Harbor Cache Machine

travisl

Would it be possible to find a catering company, maybe a local deli, who would put together box lunches for around $10 for us? Then, maybe instead of trying to find a dinner location to accomodate all of us we could make it a lunch at a park in the middle of the cache day?

Same issue: how many boxes? Who's going to be on the hook for them? Plus then we don't have the gathering at the end of the day, which is where everyone talks about the caches that made or broke the day for them.

I think I'm going to send in the $200 deposit, ask for them to make it $15 including tax, tip, and soft drink ($7.50 for kids), and hope like heck we get enough people.

It might be in your best interest, Travis, to make sure your 100+ takers are OK with the new, non-negotiable price of $15 a head.

It's a loss of money for you if folks don't come through. Oh, and it's just a lot of money for folks - especially for those with larger groups.

And while OP was one of the suggested eats I threw out (it's a small town, there are NOT a lot of options here and I sure as hell ain't gonna cook for y'all! I mean, I like you and everything, but...) I'm not keen on the new policy for any number of reasons.

Here's a couple:

I have dietary restrictions that would prevent me from eating just a random smattering of whatever they're going to cook, and you know what? I just plain ol' don't ever eat $15 of whatever food/drink they provide.

I'm anti-family-style restaurant eating, even with my own family.

Also, wasn't there some big brou-ha ha with this type of thing at a mexican restaurant for another cache machine somewhere in the recent past? A lot of people were all kinds of unhappy with the dollar amount required and the quantity of food provided.

I am not in support of Ocean Palace's new policy, and would like to be removed (2) from the dinner count.

That said, thanks for your hard work, Travis.

michelle

Would it be possible to find a catering company, maybe a local deli, who would put together box lunches for around $10 for us? Then, maybe instead of trying to find a dinner location to accomodate all of us we could make it a lunch at a park in the middle of the cache day?

Same issue: how many boxes? Who's going to be on the hook for them? Plus then we don't have the gathering at the end of the day, which is where everyone talks about the caches that made or broke the day for them.

I think I'm going to send in the $200 deposit, ask for them to make it $15 including tax, tip, and soft drink ($7.50 for kids), and hope like heck we get enough people.

Unless you can guarantee I'll have food, as I suggested, for that $15...I'm with Michelle and I'm also pulling my reservation for a spot at dinner. I'll eat somewhere else and just attend the Event.

...I understand their wanting up-front money as a guarantee, despite the out-of-pocket inconvenience. I can't imagine you'll end up in the hole, based on CM dinner attendance for the past few years. And if you do, I'm sure most of us would be glad to pitch in a few extra dollars to "make you whole."

The way I read this is that Travis would be potentially responsible for more than just the $200 deposit. The What If's are nagging at me a bit here. Like, if a storm rolls through that weekend (I'd still be there) and only 50 people show up, does that mean they ding Travis's credit card for $750?

I'm a bit confused, too. Perhaps I'm remembering wrong, but isn't an event dinner place not supposed to require that attendees pay for food? That a cacher could come in and socialize, and not be expected to spend any money?

I think it has to do with the restaurant rather than the event... if I'm understanding your question.

Coming in just to socialize and not buying a dinner is a losing situation for the restaurant. We'd be taking up space where paying customers could go. Not to mention that we'd tie up tables way past what a normal customer would.

It would be nice if there was a buffet restaurant nearby that had a banquet room. Generally you reserve the room for nothing down and people pay as they come in. It doesn't tie up the restaurants regular tables because they generally don't seat people in the banquet rooms.

I'm a bit confused, too. Perhaps I'm remembering wrong, but isn't an event dinner place not supposed to require that attendees pay for food? That a cacher could come in and socialize, and not be expected to spend any money?

I think it has to do with the restaurant rather than the event... if I'm understanding your question.

Coming in just to socialize and not buying a dinner is a losing situation for the restaurant. We'd be taking up space where paying customers could go. Not to mention that we'd tie up tables way past what a normal customer would.

It would be nice if there was a buffet restaurant nearby that had a banquet room. Generally you reserve the room for nothing down and people pay as they come in. It doesn't tie up the restaurants regular tables because they generally don't seat people in the banquet rooms.

I *think* that answers my question. Maybe that's why all of my events have been at either relaxed pay as you come restaurants (like pizza), all you can eat places, or potlucks. :rolleyes:

I *think* that answers my question. Maybe that's why all of my events have been at either relaxed pay as you come restaurants (like pizza), all you can eat places, or potlucks. :rolleyes:

I just went through this exact thing with Old Country Buffet in Lakewood for my Meet and Greet.

The management said that is is common practice for them to allow some in the group to just come in and get a cup o' joe, or a soda, they aren't required to purchase a meal. That was the make or break thing for me, on my decision to host the breakfast there. They have been really great to deal with so far. We will see how it goes on Sunday.

I wish it were that easy, but there's nowhere in Aberdeen that could handle 100 people coming in and paying, in addition to their regular customers. I spoke with them this evening, and we reached the following agreement.

Dinner will be family style, which the manager assures me means that people will get more food (four or five entrées) than they would if they were to order off of the menu (one entrée). They assure me that everyone will get food and nobody will be leaving hungry.

The cost will be $15 per person, which includes soft drink, tax, and tip. I neglected to ask about the cost for children, but in my previous conversation with them, indicated that it would be roughly half the price. I did mention this in the cover letter I sent them with the check, so I will know before the event if they have a different view of this.

I realize this will reduce the number of people who are able and who are willing to attend, so I dropped my promised number to 80. They also said that a limited number of people (very few, we hope) may order off of the regular menu, for dietary or financial reasons, but that those people can count on a very long wait for their order to be filled -- perhaps more than an hour.

I think this is the best we're going to be able to do with such a large crowd visiting a relatively small town. I've got my fire retardant suit on -- flame away. :huh:

I wish it were that easy, but there's nowhere in Aberdeen that could handle 100 people coming in and paying, in addition to their regular customers. I spoke with them this evening, and we reached the following agreement.

Dinner will be family style, which the manager assures me means that people will get more food (four or five entrées) than they would if they were to order off of the menu (one entrée). They assure me that everyone will get food and nobody will be leaving hungry.

The cost will be $15 per person, which includes soft drink, tax, and tip. I neglected to ask about the cost for children, but in my previous conversation with them, indicated that it would be roughly half the price. I did mention this in the cover letter I sent them with the check, so I will know before the event if they have a different view of this.

I realize this will reduce the number of people who are able and who are willing to attend, so I dropped my promised number to 80. They also said that a limited number of people (very few, we hope) may order off of the regular menu, for dietary or financial reasons, but that those people can count on a very long wait for their order to be filled -- perhaps more than an hour.

I think this is the best we're going to be able to do with such a large crowd visiting a relatively small town. I've got my fire retardant suit on -- flame away. :huh:

Travis, thanks for all your efforts to make the dinner work for everyone - us and the restaurant. As you point out, we are a large crowd descending on a small town, and we should recognize that our options may be more limited than in, say, Spokane.

Thanks for getting the restaurant to agree that the $15 includes everything, and that there will be enough food even for latecomers (I was one of those who missed out on 'family style' food in Wenatchee). I hope you told him we have large appetites!

$15 doesn't seem that high, now that it includes everything, so please continue to count me in for dinner. (Hey, folks, a $10 dinner with tax, tip, and drink would be about....$15.)

I just got the word that I have this time off so I am thinking of coming to the cache machine....my first ever! Would anyone be interested in sharing a room there? I mean, we will hardly even be in the room! I would be happy to eat dinner wherever it happens to be..so count me in wherever it is. Since I am single I would also like to ride with others in a car to do the machine...but I am guessing that a lot of that gets arranged there...yes? Anyone carpooling from Seattle?? Whoopee!! :huh:

Travis, thanks for all your efforts to make the dinner work for everyone - us and the restaurant. As you point out, we are a large crowd descending on a small town, and we should recognize that our options may be more limited than in, say, Spokane.

Thanks for getting the restaurant to agree that the $15 includes everything, and that there will be enough food even for latecomers (I was one of those who missed out on 'family style' food in Wenatchee). I hope you told him we have large appetites!

$15 doesn't seem that high, now that it includes everything, so please continue to count me in for dinner. (Hey, folks, a $10 dinner with tax, tip, and drink would be about....$15.)

My response was more with the TTUMS and Ambrosia conversation.

I am lucky enough to have a fairly small event that I am dealing with, around 40 or so attendees, so it has been fairly easy to deal with, made even easier by dealing with a place that has great and reasonable management.

I completely understand how difficult it must be to work with an establishment, when the potential number of attendees in in the 100ish range. The work, effort and bargaining, doesn't go unrecognized from my end. Not to mention the route issues to deal with for the machine itself.

As far as the price and quantity agreement, between you and the OP...that's more like it. I don't have a problem paying for that, although the reality of traveling with 6,7 and 9 year olds, plus two adults in a Ford Ranger for the trip down, is setting in. Unfortunately the odds that we will be down for the machine, are slim at this time ;)

My response was more with the TTUMS and Ambrosia conversation.

I am lucky enough to have a fairly small event that I am dealing with, around 40 or so attendees, so it has been fairly easy to deal with, made even easier by dealing with a place that has great and reasonable management.

I completely understand how difficult it must be to work with an establishment, when the potential number of attendees in in the 100ish range. The work, effort and bargaining, doesn't go unrecognized from my end. Not to mention the route issues to deal with for the machine itself.

As far as the price and quantity agreement, between you and the OP...that's more like it. I don't have a problem paying for that, although the reality of traveling with 6,7 and 9 year olds, plus two adults in a Ford Ranger for the trip down, is setting in. Unfortunately the odds that we will be down for the machine, are slim at this time ;)

Yup! Nothing against this event at all. Just asking a question! I'm so glad that I've never had to deal with hosting a dinner event away from my home town with limited options, and lots of attendees. Hope that the CM goes well, and thanks for taking that on again. I'm so sad that I'm going to miss it. I've been looking forward to it for months. You guys have a great time. B)

I think this is the best we're going to be able to do with such a large crowd visiting a relatively small town. I've got my fire retardant suit on -- flame away. :anitongue:

Here's what's waiting for whoever does:

fireprotection3.jpg

Thank you for all of your efforts, Travis!!! :rolleyes:

Great pic! I'm with ya, and looking forward to the entire event, including the dinner :D

I think this is the best we're going to be able to do with such a large crowd visiting a relatively small town. I've got my fire retardant suit on -- flame away. :D

Here's what's waiting for whoever does:

fireprotection3.jpg

Thank you for all of your efforts, Travis!!! :rolleyes:

Great pic! I'm with ya, and looking forward to the entire event, including the dinner :anitongue:

Travis, you have done a wonderful job setting this up and not blowing your stack. Thanks for the hard work.

If help is needed holding the firehose, I'm in!!

Barring something silly like work, TTUMS and I are planning on being there.

I sent the deposit to Ocean Palace, and asked them to contact me if I had misunderstood anything. Here's the latest;

1) Although tea and water is included, soft drinks are not. My mistake.

2) Kids 10 and under are half price ($7.50). Really young children (under 3) will be free.

3) If you have a special reason to order something off the menu (not family style), let the restaurant know when you arrive; you'll be seated in a separate section.

4) If you stiff the restaurant, I'll be billed. Don't do that. :P

In reading the posts, it sounds like you have done a lot of work on this and other CM's, Travis...so thanks for doing the work that allows us to come play! I personally don't think $15 is too much for a dinner, but I can see how a family might see otherwise. Its all good to me. I am really looking forward to this CM, my very first. :)

I just checked the availability of rooms at the Olympic Inn in Aberdeen after reading Hydnseek's post and they have plenty of rooms: singles for $56.00 ($62.00 with tax) and double with 2 beds for something like $69.00 with tax..can't remember the exact amount. I am hoping to find someone to share a room with to make it a bit more affordable, but if I don't hear a response by early next week I will just take a single room.

Edited by aviatrix22

Second draft is posted. Thanks, Paradice, for field testing the route, and thanks, Allanon, for the bookmark list. I'll post the final route on Monday night, so Allanon, if you'd like to make your final bookmark changes then, it should be ready to go. Any changes after that will be posted on my car on Friday night.

Feedback welcome and encouraged.

Second draft is posted. Thanks, Paradice, for field testing the route, and thanks, Allanon, for the bookmark list. I'll post the final route on Monday night, so Allanon, if you'd like to make your final bookmark changes then, it should be ready to go. Any changes after that will be posted on my car on Friday night.

Woo hoo! A final final route ahead of time, and reconciled with a bookmark list. :) Thanks, travisl, sure is great to have you back! And thanks to Allanon for the bookmark list. We'll grab it Monday, that's perfect timing to get everything scoped and planned before our departure.

Woo hoo! A final final route ahead of time, and reconciled with a bookmark list. :) Thanks, travisl, sure is great to have you back! And thanks to Allanon for the bookmark list. We'll grab it Monday Tuesday, that's perfect timing to get everything scoped and planned before our departure.

Fixed...if Travis doesn't post the update until Monday night, I won't have the BM list updated until Tuesday...

As I get ready for the cache machine I am wondering how to get the route into my 60csx?

I already have all the caches in my gps using GSAK. I know I can add them each manually, but there has to be a better way.

I really don't want to be searching for each one as we do the machine -- unless that is the best way to do it.

Go back to GSAK and if you don't have the User column visible, change that so you can see it.

Next, use that field and for each cache on The Machine, add the "stop number" corresponding to Travis' route like this:

a60b05cf-c3f9-43ec-ad99-2c3198485c0a.jpg

Then, when you send the caches to your GPSr, use the %User tag in the Name field like this:

2eaabb9d-58f5-4c11-8393-24bbe3161156.jpg

That will put the 'stop number' in front of the name (or GC code if you use those instead)...then sort by name on the 60CSX...they'll be in order.

Okay... The SeabeckTribe most likely will NOT be making it to the cache machine :PB) . If we do make it over the cache machine, we will not be able to make the dinner. The cost would really cut into our pockets.

I am looking for someone to take a TB that wants to attend events to the cache machine. I am looking for someone in the Bremerton/Silverdale/Port Orchard area who would be willing take it there.

I am looking for someone to take a TB that wants to attend events to the cache machine. I am looking for someone in the Bremerton/Silverdale/Port Orchard area who would be willing take it there.

Da Bears or Shop99er, are the only ones I am aware of from this area that might be able to help you out.

I sorta got lost in the course of all this...

Is dinner at the Ocean Palace on Friday night?

And, what are the coords or the address?

From the CM page:

There will be a pre-CM cluster of dinners at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, September 21. Last minute changes will be posted in my car at N 46° 58.619, W 123° 48.226 (blue Saturn with geocaching sticker), and unofficial informal dinners will simultaneously be held at the nearby McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Burger King, and Mazatlan. I'll try to poke my head into all four, but no promises.

-

Dinner on

Saturday will be 7:30 p.m. at Ocean Palace (a Chinese restaurant), 112 E Wishkah St, Aberdeen, (N 46° 58.470, W 123° 49.068)

Edited by coreynjoey
I sorta got lost in the course of all this...

Is dinner at the Ocean Palace on Friday night?

And, what are the coords or the address?

From the CM page:

There will be a pre-CM cluster of dinners at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, September 21. Last minute changes will be posted in my car at N 46° 58.619, W 123° 48.226 (blue Saturn with geocaching sticker), and unofficial informal dinners will simultaneously be held at the nearby McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Burger King, and Mazatlan. I'll try to poke my head into all four, but no promises.

-

Dinner on

Saturday will be 7:30 p.m. at Ocean Palace (a Chinese restaurant), 112 E Wishkah St, Aberdeen, (N 46° 58.470, W 123° 49.068)

Thanks, guys

So... How'd dinner go? Anyone have a rough estimate of the number of people?

Official count was 57 and 5 or 6 kids.

I am baffled at how few showed up after the high number of reservations. Some major butt kicking is in order I think. :laughing: Prying Pandora, CCC and others probibly have a bit more info. I will say the food was better then I expected and I was pleased with the location.

Great job on the route as well!

Even after saying I would not prepay for dinner, I did and I was pleasantly surprised.

It helped that the staff prepared the plates as we walked by and even after a good sized plate of food on the first time through, there was enough for us to go back...although I fear that that was because not enough showed up that said that they would.

Thanks for the hard work Travis and I'm sorry you couldn't be there with us!

Official count was 57 and 5 or 6 kids.

I am baffled at how few showed up after the high number of reservations.

Travis,

If you are out of pocket anything for the no-shows, please let me know. Since I bailed out at the last minute, I wouldn't want to think that you had to cover for my dinner.

Laurie

In fact, enough people didn't show up that there was a serious shortage of $$ to slam your wallet.

However, several cachers figured it out, and a collection was taken up. We made up the difference, toot-sweet.

Not only will you get your deposit back, Hydensek has come up with a plan.

Have fun, and don't worry 'bout nothin'

However disapointing it was that there wern't more people at the dinner, it turned out well. I was way too tired to be too sociable, but I did get to chat with some old and new friends. There were many generous folks who contributed beyond what was necessary and they deserve thanks.

Thanks, Travis, for your work and planning. I enjoyed my time there and look forward to the future cache machines!

The dinner itself was great. The restaurant did a great job preparing for a lot of ravenous cachers and the food was good.

Inexplicably, the head count was much lower than expected and the deficit was significant. We took up a collection to make up the difference, and those in attendance were eager to help and generous as well. In very short order we had enough because nobody there was going to let Travis get burned. I've said it many times and I'm saying it again - geocachers are the best people in the world.

To those who responded that they would attend the dinner but didn't show up - the rest of the attendees paid for your dinner. You do the math - 25 or so people short of the minimum promised to the restaurant at $15 each. I seem to remember that the head count of those who said they'd attend the dinner was somewhere around 100, but only about 60 actually attended. I'm sure some people had a good excuse, but that is really disappointing.

Big thanks to Caching Cowles Clan, hydnsek, and Shop99er for helping with the collection, and thanks to all who contributed.

Inexplicably, the head count was much lower than expected and the deficit was significant. We took up a collection to make up the difference, and those in attendance were eager to help and generous as well. In very short order we had enough because nobody there was going to let Travis get burned. I've said it many times and I'm saying it again - geocachers are the best people in the world.

To those who responded that they would attend the dinner but didn't show up - the rest of the attendees paid for your dinner. You do the math - 25 or so people short of the minimum promised to the restaurant at $15 each. I seem to remember that the head count of those who said they'd attend the dinner was somewhere around 100, but only about 60 actually attended. I'm sure some people had a good excuse, but that is really disappointing.

Big thanks to Caching Cowles Clan, hydnsek, and Shop99er for helping with the collection, and thanks to all who contributed.

Is there a suggested method of paying a share of the deficit for those of us who didn't attend the dinner, but had indicated our intention to attend at some point during the planning process? I would like to contribute my share but I don't know who to give the money too...I'm sure others are wondering the same thing.

Is there a suggested method of paying a share of the deficit for those of us who didn't attend the dinner, but had indicated our intention to attend at some point during the planning process? I would like to contribute my share but I don't know who to give the money too...I'm sure others are wondering the same thing.

That's a can of worms I'm going to hand to Travis. (Sorry Travis!) The money came from those who attended. No names were taken and no accounting was made other than tallying the total to ensure that the restaurant received the amount they had been promised. It was like the ending of the movie It's a Wonderful Life. Perhaps whatever comes in to compensate for that can go into a Cache Machine Slush Fund or some such.

That's a can of worms I'm going to hand to Travis. (Sorry Travis!) The money came from those who attended. No names were taken and no accounting was made other than tallying the total to ensure that the restaurant received the amount they had been promised. It was like the ending of the movie It's a Wonderful Life. Perhaps whatever comes in to compensate for that can go into a Cache Machine Slush Fund or some such.

I just wanted to say that the additional funds that I put in the collection basket at the end of dinner I consider a contribution to Good Caching Karma :P No need to reimburse me.

I just wanted to be one more person to thank Travis for all his planning for this cache machine. We didn't get a chance to meet you to tell you thank you in person so doing it here and on the cache page.

This was a lot of fun. It is obvious to anyone that is there how much work you put into it. We really appreciate it. You had a great set of caches picked out and a great route figured out.

It was so fun to see different groups of cachers as we made our way down the route. We ran into a few groups multiple times during the day and just overall had a great day.

I really hope to be able to do any other cache machines that are scheduled.

It was also nice at dinner to see how quickly all the cachers pitched in to be sure Travis wasn't left with a $375 bill (That would be one expensive dinner) What a great group of people.

We would have liked to get around at dinner and meet more of you - but we had really pushed our 1 yr old as far as he could go that day. We needed to get him home. Maybe next time.

THANK YOU for all your work! :P:P:):)

Blue Power Ranger

(Jeff and Valerie)