Grays Harbor Cache Machine

travisl

Thanks for setting this up, travis. I've been planning for months to go to this, but it looks like I won't make it. I'm always praying for a miracle though, because this was one of the biggest things that I've been looking forward to for a while. So who knows. Hope you guys have fun. :laughing:

I've created the first pre-draft of the route. I've not looked at all the cache pages yet, and haven't read the logs. There's too many caches for a single day, so I had to cut somewhere: the Ocean Shores peninsula is out, as is SR-105 to Westport.

I've got the route starting at On A Clear Day, then heading along the south side of the Chehalis River, not crossing it until Mine #58 D. P. S. K. L.. The route jumps over to Elma, then U-turns back on US-12 to Montesano, into the hills for a few caches, back down to the river, then continuing down US-12 to the soup of caches in Aberdeen and Hoquiam.

The route then follows the typical way out to the coast (SR-109), with a stop at a degree confluence (well, close to it, because it's private property), and up into Moclips.

Then it's a 14-mile long cacheless drive along Ocean Beach Road to 101, a few final caches in Hoquiam, and dinner.

My questions:

1) I'd thought about starting the route a bit further out, at My Ole House, but it sounded like a spot with no parking and a lot of bushwhacking, and not somewhere to wander groggily in the twilight. The next cache up the road, B. A. C. is at the Bishop Athletic Complex, which probably still has its gates closed at 6:30 a.m. Is my thinking correct?

2) The first MapPoint map I used showed that South Bank Road didn't go through east of E.C. Valley View, specifically at 46.9657, -123.5424. I downloaded an upgrade, and it shows the road going through. The geocaching.com Google map (the link) doesn't show it as a through road. Does it go through?

3) The route between Melissas 1st cache and Mine #18 M.C.C.R shows a very squiggly unnamed "local road". I assume this is a forest service or logging road. Google maps doesn't show this road, but does show another unnamed, less squiggly road just to the north. What's the best route between these two caches?

If people want to cache the day before or after, there's the caches in Ocean Shores and Westport, and a good sized cluster near Raymond.

Thoughts? Warnings? Foreboding premonitions?

(Edit: route link fix. Bad google. No biscuit.)

Edited by travisl

Some thoughts regarding the caches around Lake Sylvia: Melissa's 1st Cache; Sylvan Sawdust ; Sylvan Traffic Jam.

You can drive within 50' off Melissa. The access road is off of the Wynoochee Road about a half mile from the turn north. Not a quick drive, especially if there are cars going both ways. On the other hand, it is a pretty well maintained main line. Some hairy hills if you run into someone coming the other way.

The other two are not reachable, quickly. If you park at Melissa, you can walk the half mile (crow, not foot) to Traffic Jam in 10 to 15 minutes making that a 20 to 30 minute cache if you're quick.

The walk from Melissa to Sawdust is an easy half hour + one way.

All three are 'usually' done as a loop on the park trail - 3 to 4 miles, door to door.

The other access for all of these is from inside the park itself. The trail to Melissa and Jam is shorter than Sawdust, but you have to go two separate ways from the parking spot.

NOT 'cache machine' route quick, no matter how you look at it.

I am not sure on the road through from Melissa's first cache and Mine #18. I've never tried to get from one side to the other. A lot of the roads on the Melissa's side are gated so it may be 'more sure', if you intend to include Melissa, if you just reroute back out to the main and head north on the Wynoochee.

If one of the other local guys doesn't do it, I can check out both South Bank and the logging road between the two up the Wynoochee.

michelle

Thoughts? Warnings? Foreboding premonitions?

(Edit: route link fix. Bad google. No biscuit.)

Just a couple thoughts I have (so far):

Cache #37 in the queue (Mine...Do You Know?) can only be grabbed heading Eastbound. There is a median barrier and you won't want to stop and cross the road while heading West into Aberdeen...high roadkill potential.

Cache #48 (Friar Duck) can only be accessed along the same path as "Little John"; that is, through the Sherwood Forest. It looks like you can drive to it on the route but no can do...and it will take longer than a few minutes to get to it...it is a hilly area in there.

We have 5 easily accessible puzzle caches and one mini-multicache (all regular sized) between #34 (Hwy 12 Catch & Release) and #37 (Mine...Do You Know?) in Central Park.....a possible option for those who like to solve the puzzles and skip more than a few film can caches. <_<

OK, let's talk accommodations. I've been to Aberdeen/Hoquiam a few times, and there aren't a lot of hotels (at least, ones that work for me). Ocean Shores has plenty, but that's further than I want to drive to get to the CM and dinner. Many of the small hotels aren't listed in the online booking services (I checked).

I just made reservations at the Olympic Inn Motel in Aberdeen for 2 nights (Sept 21-23). AAA rate is $69 for a single with queen bed. It's a basic hotel, but got good review on TravelPost.com, and rooms have fridges and continental breakfast. 360-533-4200

I have also stayed a couple of times at the Westwood Inn in Hoquiam. It's a bit run-down, but price is right (less than for the Olympic); the Barnabirdy(s) found this one on one of our trips. 360-532-8161.

Beyond that, the locals or other recent visitors may have (better) suggestions.

OK, let's talk accommodations. I've been to Aberdeen/Hoquiam a few times, and there aren't a lot of hotels (at least, ones that work for me). Ocean Shores has plenty, but that's further than I want to drive to get to the CM and dinner. Many of the small hotels aren't listed in the online booking services (I checked).

I just made reservations at the Olympic Inn Motel in Aberdeen for 2 nights (Sept 21-23). AAA rate is $69 for a single with queen bed. It's a basic hotel, but got good review on TravelPost.com, and rooms have fridges and continental breakfast. 360-533-4200

I have also stayed a couple of times at the Westwood Inn in Hoquiam. It's a bit run-down, but price is right (less than for the Olympic); the Barnabirdy(s) found this one on one of our trips. 360-532-8161.

Guesthouse Suites in downtown Aberdeen (closest landmark? WalMart) is the nicest gig in town. You can look them up online at: http://www.guesthouseintl.com/ or call direct. Here's their info:

GuestHouse Aberdeen

701 East Herron Street

Aberdeen, WA 98520

(360) 537-7460

The other nicest gig would be in Elma (closer than the beach but still a fair piece away) at the Microtel Inn.

Their info:

800 E. Main St.

Elma, WA 98541

(360) 482-6868

michelle

Guesthouse Suites in downtown Aberdeen (closest landmark? WalMart) is the nicest gig in town. You can look them up online at: http://www.guesthouseintl.com/ or call direct. Here's their info:

GuestHouse Aberdeen

701 East Herron Street

Aberdeen, WA 98520

(360) 537-7460

The other nicest gig would be in Elma (closer than the beach but still a fair piece away) at the Microtel Inn.

Their info:

800 E. Main St.

Elma, WA 98541

(360) 482-6868

michelle

Thanks, M, that's great info. I looked both of those up, and you're right, they look good. The prices I saw were a bit higher than I could go, altho there may be deals I didn't see. Guesthouse is $80/night, as Shop99er mentioned, a bit steep for me right now.

Edited by hydnsek

As I thought, South Bank does NOT go through. It dead ends (both ways) at a huge No Trespassing sign.

Dang. That changes the routing significantly. I wonder why all the newer mapping software (including MapPoint 2006, Google Maps, etc) shows it going through, but my "old" MapPoint 2004 shows the break?

Thanks for the feedback, and to everyone else who's been posting and e-mailing. I'm collecting them all and will incorporate them into the next route update later this month.

Question for the Spokane Cache Machine organizers: I recall that you contacted the police ahead of time, which probably saved a cacher or two from answering some tough questions downtown. Did you contact the city police or the county police, or did you contact someone else? Did the person you contact indicate that they'd share the information with other jurisdictions (such as the Airway Heights PD)? What kind of questions did they have?

I've never warned the cops that we were coming, but I think it's a good idea.

Wow. With the block on South Bank Road, and removing the Lake Sylvia caches, it looks like it will make more sense to start the day clockwise instead of counterclockwise, to lop off everything east of Montesano, and to add Ocean Shores back in. As someone once said, "workin' on it." :)

Can I recruit a local or two to help with dinner coordination? I've talked to Ocean Palace, and they're good with us coming, but I'm going to have to leave the event early -- I've got a 7:00 p.m. flight out of SeaTac on Saturday night, so I'm planning on only caching until noonish. :):):) (frownie for leaving early, smilie for going to Vegas, sideways glance for a six-day training class).

Any suggestions on camping spots (with a travel trailer)? We've stayed at Pacific Beach before, but that's a bit further out than I'd want to stay.

We have a lot at Ocean Shores Outdoor Recreational Club. It's only about 18 miles from Hoquiam/Aberdeen. It's located 1 miles north of Hogan's Corner (where you turn to Ocean Shores) and 1 miles south of Ocean City. Our 5th wheel is permanently fixed there. There should be enough room for a couple trailers/motor homes and several tents. The OSORC club house is just across from us. It has rest rooms, showers and a pool. There is no cost for anyone. It does have a security gate access. Pacific Beach is probably close to another 10 miles north of us.

If you or anyone else is interested, just email us.

Any suggestions on camping spots (with a travel trailer)? We've stayed at Pacific Beach before, but that's a bit further out than I'd want to stay.

We have a lot at Ocean Shores Outdoor Recreational Club. It's only about 18 miles from Hoquiam/Aberdeen. It's located 1 miles north of Hogan's Corner (where you turn to Ocean Shores) and 1 miles south of Ocean City. Our 5th wheel is permanently fixed there. There should be enough room for a couple trailers/motor homes and several tents. The OSORC club house is just across from us. It has rest rooms, showers and a pool. There is no cost for anyone. It does have a security gate access. Pacific Beach is probably close to another 10 miles north of us.

We were eager and booked a site at Ocean City, but thanks for the offer! I'm hoping the weather is good enough to get some kite flying in!

Question for the Spokane Cache Machine organizers: I recall that you contacted the police ahead of time, which probably saved a cacher or two from answering some tough questions downtown. Did you contact the city police or the county police, or did you contact someone else? Did the person you contact indicate that they'd share the information with other jurisdictions (such as the Airway Heights PD)? What kind of questions did they have?

I've never warned the cops that we were coming, but I think it's a good idea.

Hi Travis -sorry, just noticed your question! I had a research assistant that worked for me and also was doing an internship with the Spokane Police Department... I wrote up a letter, and she found the contact (Front Desk) for me at the PD. Basically, it was emailed to every patrol officer, and also the sheriff (county). One of our organizers also dropped off the letter to the Airway Heights PD and talked with them. This worked really well, and we heard from quite a few folks that the notification saved them a very awkward explanation!

The only drawback is that I am on record now as the 'official geocaching contact' for Spokane and now get calls when there are bomb scares that could be geocaches!! :rolleyes:

Here is the copy of the letter (you will of course want to change links and details to your event):

-----------------------------------------

Attention:

Spokane Police Department

Spokane County Sheriff Department

RE: Spokane Cache Machine Geocaching Event

Date: Saturday April 28th, 2007 5am – 8pm

Lisa B***

Spokane Cache Machine Committee Member

Greetings,

I am writing to inform your departments of a rolling all day Geocaching event that will take place from 4am to 9pm on Saturday April 28th throughout Spokane City and County. This is an organized event where participants will be following a set route (see attached) to find geocaches that have been previously hidden. We start the day as 1 large group. Then the group caravans on to the next cache. The group tends to fragment after the first few caches, though.

Most participants carpool, but we do expect many vehicles to park near caches throughout the event, and participants to be moving along from cache to cache. This is not a race; participants do like to try to get as much of the route done as possible -hence the early start and long day! We know that Geocaching activities can appear suspicious by the very nature of the game; therefore we want to be sure that your departments are made aware of our planned event activities throughout the area.

We are expecting 200-300 participants for the day. Our event begins at the WSU Riverpoint campus; the WSU Campus Security and WSU facility managers have been notified and approve of our event.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I can be reached via email at

***insert your email and phone here!***

Sincerely,

Lisa B***

Event Web Page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...35-dc656419bae1

Geocaching definition:

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for GPS users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a GPS unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards.

Route Overview:

***insert screen shot of whole route***

Main Spokane Route Overview:

***insert screenshot of main city route***

Edited by Lookout Lisa

Thought I should mention that I got the approval to send my email to the front desk person about a week or so before the event; I then sent the email (inline text and as an attachment) with a friendly 'thanks' about 3 days prior to the event so it wouldn't get lost. I didn't receive any calls prior to or during the event -apparently the letter was sufficient!

Lisa: That's a good letter. I'll probably use most of it. Thanks.

To all the lurkers: I'm counting 45 for dinner so far, and I'll be letting the restaurant know next week, so if you haven't already posted an "I'll be there" or an "X people for dinner" below, please do so ASAP.

To all the lurkers: I'm counting 45 for dinner so far, and I'll be letting the restaurant know next week, so if you haven't already posted an "I'll be there" or an "X people for dinner" below, please do so ASAP.

Very glad to help!

I would like to attend, and am interested in carpooling from the Spokane area... anyone around Spokane (or at the event) need a navigator and or cachemate mate? :anitongue: For some reason folks don't like me driving at Cache Machines... :anitongue::rolleyes::(

Email Sent!

Are you leaving some room for last minute people? I can't plan a month out like that.

Just to get it on the Event Listing as well as on the forums, count another 5 for the dinner Friday night, as well as the machine. 2 adults, and three children. We will know closer to the event, but for now it gives you some potential numbers to give the restaurant.

Are you leaving some room for last minute people? I can't plan a month out like that.

Yup. I figure some of the folks who committed won't show, and we'll get a few extras, so I'll add 10% and tell the restaurant that this is a tentative best guess.

Thanks. Made me nervous, because in the past the ones I've been to have usually ended up double or almost double that number for dinner. It there's a cut off, and if I was able to go at the last minute, I'd have to cancel if there was a people limit at dinner.

Yup. I figure some of the folks who committed won't show, and we'll get a few extras, so I'll add 10% and tell the restaurant that this is a tentative best guess.

I don't remember if I posted that I'd go or not and am too tired to look it up.

Anyways I doubt I'll be attending.

Draft 1 is now posted. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

I've also added information to the cache page about the Friday night unofficial pre-event dinner.

No place can hold all of us Friday night, so I'm going with the "cluster dinner" idea. This means concurrent dining at McDonalds, Burger King, Dairy Queen, and for those who know better than to eat fast food, I'm also including Mazatlan. I'll have the last minute updates posted inside my blue Saturn in the parking lot at N 46 58.619, W 123 48.226, and will hand out copies to folks I see at the dinner(s). The cluster dinner on Friday is at 7:00.

Dinner on Saturday is at the one place that can hold us all, Ocean Palace, at the coordinates for the event. I've counted 93 confirmations; I'll tell the restaurant 105 tomorrow, in case we get a few more. Dinner on Saturday is at 7:30.

Edited by travisl

Draft 1 is now posted. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

I've also added information to the cache page about the Friday night unofficial pre-event dinner.

No place can hold all of us Friday night, so I'm going with the "cluster dinner" idea. This means concurrent dining at McDonalds, Burger King, Dairy Queen, and for those who know better than to eat fast food, I'm also including Mazatlan. I'll have the last minute updates posted inside my blue Saturn in the parking lot at N 46 58.619, W 123 48.226, and will hand out copies to folks I see at the dinner(s). The cluster dinner on Friday is at 7:00.

Dinner on Saturday is at the one place that can hold us all, Ocean Palace, at the coordinates for the event. I've counted 93 confirmations; I'll tell the restaurant 105 tomorrow, in case we get a few more. Dinner on Saturday is at 7:30.

Is Ocean Palace the big one right on the main street in town?

Edited by luckykoi

Hmmm. Ocean Palace (dinner) wants to have a flat fee of $15 + tax/tip per person (less for kids), family style dining. They also want a $200 deposit to guarantee 100 people, and for me to be personally on the hook for any difference if less than 100 people. I'm leaning towards agreeing to it, but in the unlikely circumstance that someone would like to volunteer to split the risk, I'd welcome it.

Otherwise... any other ideas before I write them a check and pray for good weather and high turnout?

Hmmm. Ocean Palace (dinner) wants to have a flat fee of $15 + tax/tip per person (less for kids), family style dining. They also want a $200 deposit to guarantee 100 people, and for me to be personally on the hook for any difference if less than 100 people. I'm leaning towards agreeing to it, but in the unlikely circumstance that someone would like to volunteer to split the risk, I'd welcome it.

Otherwise... any other ideas before I write them a check and pray for good weather and high turnout?

At a flat fee $15 + tax/tip, this is very expensive for a family of 4. I am not sure that we could afford to eat there.

This could be a little pricey for you if by chance there is not 100 people, however, in the past there as been very large group. I am not sure what the numbers have been at past event dinners.

What about a community center or civic hall, that could be rented for a small fee and have a potluck?

At a flat fee $15 + tax/tip, this is very expensive for a family of 4. I am not sure that we could afford to eat there.

This could be a little pricey for you if by chance there is not 100 people, however, in the past there as been very large group. I am not sure what the numbers have been at past event dinners.

What about a community center or civic hall, that could be rented for a small fee and have a potluck?

Pot lucks are really hard to do as most everyone will be coming from out of town, staying in hotels or camping even. Plus, I know that I'm pretty tired by dinner time, and really appreciate a nice dinner for a nice price.

Unfortunately, I don't have any brilliant ideas on how to solve the problem... is there a casino nearby?

Pot lucks are really hard to do as most everyone will be coming from out of town, staying in hotels or camping even. Plus, I know that I'm pretty tired by dinner time, and really appreciate a nice dinner for a nice price.

Unfortunately, I don't have any brilliant ideas on how to solve the problem... is there a casino nearby?

Agree with both Lisa and Seabeck - potluck not feasible, $15+ too steep. Yikes.

Does Ocean Palace want our business - I mean, we'd be bringing them 100+ people, that's a tidy sum. If they really do want us, perhaps Travis could negotiate a price reduction to say, $12 adult, and something less for kids. That would be more in line with previous dinners (I think). If the restaurant doesn't want to lose the business altogether, perhaps they'll compromise. Just a thought.

Does Ocean Palace want our business - I mean, we'd be bringing them 100+ people, that's a tidy sum. If they really do want us, perhaps Travis could negotiate a price reduction to say, $12 adult, and something less for kids. That would be more in line with previous dinners (I think). If the restaurant doesn't want to lose the business altogether, perhaps they'll compromise. Just a thought.

And I am yet another one that thinks that the Ocean Palace is too steep. That adds up to alot with a family of five.

I do agree with hydnsek, you would think with the business we would be bringing in (or possibly not), that they would be willing to work with Travis on a reduction in price...dare I say down to $10. Thats $1,000 + that night, that they have the potential of loosing.

Yes, and I checked with them. Quoting their e-mail reply: "Unfortunately, I don't think the Quinault Beach Resort is a good fit for this event."

I understand their position. Their banquet room seats 75, so they'll need to close off the front of their restaurant, too. If they're going to do that, they need some guarantee that they're not going to come out way behind. They don't know me from Adam, and stand to lose quite a bit if I don't come through.

I suggested $12 per person, and $6 per kid, and while they said it was doable, there wouldn't be as much food per person. After discovering in Wenatchee that cachers who skipped lunch are extremely hungry, I figured that wasn't a good idea.

I understand their position. Their banquet room seats 75, so they'll need to close off the front of their restaurant, too. If they're going to do that, they need some guarantee that they're not going to come out way behind. They don't know me from Adam, and stand to lose quite a bit if I don't come through.

I suggested $12 per person, and $6 per kid, and while they said it was doable, there wouldn't be as much food per person. After discovering in Wenatchee that cachers who skipped lunch are extremely hungry, I figured that wasn't a good idea.

I understand their wanting up-front money as a guarantee, despite the out-of-pocket inconvenience. I can't imagine you'll end up in the hole, based on CM dinner attendance for the past few years. And if you do, I'm sure most of us would be glad to pitch in a few extra dollars to "make you whole." :o And I think we all appreciate the Ocean Palace being willing to close their dining room and host us that evening. Yay them!

Your original price suggestion sounds much more feasible. Maybe we could provide some feedback on price preference if we knew how much food was involved for $12 vs. $15. Do you have any sense of that? If we go with the lesser amount, perhaps a note about what to expect food-wise at dinner, and then folks would know they will either need to eat lunch/snack or plan evening snacks. (Either way, they should offer a kid's dinner price that is 1/2 adult. That will help the families immensely.)

Edited by hydnsek

So is this family style as in you order and they bring a plate of food to you or is it a buffet where you eat as much as you can hold? I'm not sure I understand the $12 meaning less food.

Granted we don't eat in a lot of fancy places but I'm thinking if I'm playing $12 a plate that plate had better be heaping with food! I'd ask them for exact amounts for the money.

I'm not an expert, but it's not a Buffet where they endlessly refill the serving dishes...like we had in Spokane. "Family style" generally means that for $X you get Y amount of food in serving dishes and once that is consumed, that's it. It's the way it was in Wenatchee.

If it in fact is the way it was in Wenatchee, I for one will NOT pay up front.

Is there any way to guarantee something like Shop99er suggests...that a specific 'plate' of food is provided for the amount we pay so that we are sure to get our moneys worth?

I'm not an expert, but it's not a Buffet where they endlessly refill the serving dishes...like we had in Spokane. "Family style" generally means that for $X you get Y amount of food in serving dishes and once that is consumed, that's it. It's the way it was in Wenatchee.

If it in fact is the way it was in Wenatchee, I for one will NOT pay up front.

Is there any way to guarantee something like Shop99er suggests...that a specific 'plate' of food is provided for the amount we pay so that we are sure to get our moneys worth?

That's a great point, Brian. As one of those who lost out on the food in Wenatchee, despite having paid, this would be a concern of mine, as well. The early birds there heaped their plates, and those of us arriving later had no food!

I was assuming a guaranteed plate of food for the money; if not, then perhaps we should reconsider.