Today's Geocaching Newsletter

stepshep

So I was reading the article on the top of this week's letter. It was about placing a cache, when listing what was needed it said to use a clear container. Now I understand a clear container for safety and all but is Groundspeak saying not to use containers like ammo and decon boxes? I'm just trying to see if they are saying Lock and Lock is better to use or what.

Thanks.

Wow, nice catch...I missed it. This from this week's notification email

A few quick tips for first-timers:

- Good geocaches start with good containers. Make sure yours is watertight, clear and well-marked.

bold emphasis mine. Well, some land managers specify clear, and in urban environments clear containers are probably less likely to cause alarm but I doubt Groundspeak meant to steer everyone away from ammo cans or other containers in the appropriate locations. One of Florida's land manager specifies ammo cans (metal latching containers).

So are they suggesting not to use ammo cans?

Sounds like it. Ammo boxes are scary.

Agree with briansnat, that it is only a tip or guideline as stated. Wonder if they'll start asking about the container when reviewing new caches. I've only done one (an ammo can), but don't recall any questions on the form about the container.

- Good geocaches start with good containers. Make sure yours is watertight, clear and well-marked.

bold emphasis mine. Well, some land managers specify clear, and in urban environments clear containers are probably less likely to cause alarm but I doubt Groundspeak meant to steer everyone away from ammo cans or other containers in the appropriate locations. One of Florida's land manager specifies ammo cans (metal latching containers).

Maybe they're suggesting that hiders make it clear that the well marked container is a geocache?

I think the point is that if your container is clear, then the local Barney Fife can easily see that it is full of McToys and Geocoins, not bomb parts, and he is therefore less likely to 'splode your cache for you after some Nervous Nelly calls it in to 911.

I have recently switched from ammo cans to Lock-n-Locks for this very reason. I haven't had the bomb squad called on any of my hides yet, but I like the idea as a precaution just in case.

I wrap my container with enough camo tape to make it blend in, while leaving enough of it untaped for the contents to be visible.

Like Briansnat said: It's probably meant as a suggestion, not a rule.

Edited by KBI

Maybe they're suggesting that hiders make it clear that the well marked container is a geocache?

That's what I think. Lock n Locks are cheap and easy (and still quite good), but ammo cans are really the most waterproof, indestructible thing out there. We have used both for cache hides.

I think the point is that if your container is clear, then the local Barney Fife can easily see that it is full of McToys and Geocoins, not bomb parts, and he is therefore less likely to 'splode your cache for you after some Nervous Nelly calls it in to 911.

I have recently switched from ammo cans to Lock-n-Locks for this very reason. I haven't had the bomb squad called on any of my hides yet, but I like the idea as a precaution just in case.

I wrap my container with enough camo tape to make it blend in, while leaving enough of it untaped for the contents to be visible.

:cry:August 11 by The Leprechauns (2677 found)

I've been looking forward to finding one of KBI's caches for a long time, and today was the day. Nice hide, great camo on that Lock 'n Lock. I took the stuffed bunny and the Hello Kitty notepad, and left an alarm clock, a bunch of scrap copper wire, and a wadded ball of electrical tape. Thanks for the cache!

Edited by The Leprechauns

:PAugust 11 by The Leprechauns (2677 found)

I've been looking forward to finding one of KBI's caches for a long time, and today was the day. Nice hide, great camo on that Lock 'n Lock. I took the stuffed bunny and the Hello Kitty notepad, and left an alarm clock, a bunch of scrap copper wire, and a wadded ball of electrical tape. Thanks for the cache!

:cry::cry:B)

Good point, Lep.

No matter how careful you may be with your own hide, there will always be someone out there who doesn't understand how (or why) to employ the "common sense" suggestions in the guidelines.

I knew my point would not be lost on you, KBI, and I'm glad to have prompted a smile on your Saturday morning.

A bit more on topic... I don't put too much stock in a one-paragraph promotional awareness blurb. It's akin to quoting from the FAQ page or the "Hiding your first cache" page, both of which haven't been updated since 2001 or so. It's the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines that ought to be regarded as the definitive word on containers and where to put them. On this topic, the Guidelines have the following to say (much of which was added in the most recent update):

For all physical caches and waypoints, think carefully about how your container and the actions of geocachers will be perceived by the public. For example, a cache hidden in full view of office or apartment building windows exposes a geocacher to being seen by someone who may think the cache search looks suspicious. Your cache may be hidden on public property, but there may be concerned residents on the other side of that property line. And, while an ammo box or PVC pipe may be a great container if hidden deep in the woods, it may cause alarm if discovered in an urban setting. A clear plastic container or a microcache may be a better choice. In busy areas, avoid containers that look suspicious, including attachment materials like wires or tape. To reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache. Cover over any military markings with paint or a geocache sticker. Include an explanatory “stash note” inside your cache. Common sense in selecting hiding spots and containers can reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as a danger to those who are unaware of our sport.

If I've learned anything from finding caches and reading forums over the past 5+ years, it is this: Common Sense is decidedly uncommon.