How to read the cache pages with out the net

Hi just brought a Laptop can anybody tell me how to read the web/caches with out the Internet at the moment what I am doing is.

1.Downloading to a PDF file from the net

2.Save to my USB card

3.Open then read from Laptop

That is all I can think of doing, but on the PDF file dose not show the encrypted hits will not change them.(will have to do the old way)

I am a Premium member is there a better way I could make it easy but I am not seeing it Please can anybody help step by step not very good yet on the Computers.

Thanks

Labrador Wild Man

...Hi just brought a Laptop can anybody tell me how to read the web/caches with out the Internet at the moment what I am doing is...

Hi,

What I do is go to the cache web site, decrypted the hint, then copy the page to include the hint and sometimes a log or two, by dragging the mouse (starting at the left corning of the page in front of the cache name), then right clicking and copy. Then I go to word (or your word processor of choice) Go to File > Paste Special > Plain Text. That is so all the pictures to don't get pasted too (although you could). Then I can have a Word document for all the caches in a particular area. I can use this to print out or view on my laptop.

Another solution would be to use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). It has a free trial and you can see if you like it. After that, it's only $25 and that license allows you to install it on your PC AND your laptop!

When you have the caches loaded into GSAK, the cache pages show up on the bottom half of the screen, with the database on the top half.

IMO, it's easier than cutting & pasting and storing.

Since you have a premium membership, you can download GPX files which have a lot of information. GSAK can open these files.

I love it and it's saved me a ton of paper!

I would have to second the GSAK vote. It is so simple, you just drag the .gpx file over into gsak to load the caches. Then you can sort any way you want, decode hints, read past logs, and looked at the cached cache page offline.

very nice.

Oh! How could I have possibly forgot to mention using GSAK with a Palm! *slaps forehead* YES! With GSAK, you can also transfer all these cache pages over to your Palm and use in the field. It's kind of like having your laptop along for the find without all the bulk! And the pages view on the Palm pretty much like they do on your computer (less the pictures) and no wasted paper & printer ink!

I have Internet Explorer the version with the tabs. I decide which Caches I want to find on my GPS, usually in an area of close proximity to each other. I then open each Cache in a new tab on Internet Explorer. I leave Internet Explorer open and put my laptop on standby or sleep mode, and when I need information on the Cache all I need to do is look at the computer. I have the hints, and the logs all right there. When I get home I just reconnect to the Internet and do my logs for the Caches I've found.

Occasionally we even go hunting for Caches we have little or no information on just for the challenge, then sometimes we will be close to a Cache I did not open the page for and go looking for it.

Hi just brought a Laptop can anybody tell me how to read the web/caches with out the Internet at the moment what I am doing is.

1.Downloading to a PDF file from the net

2.Save to my USB card

3.Open then read from Laptop

That is all I can think of doing, but on the PDF file dose not show the encrypted hits will not change them.(will have to do the old way)

I am a Premium member is there a better way I could make it easy but I am not seeing it Please can anybody help step by step not very good yet on the Computers.

Thanks

Labrador Wild Man

Since you are a Premium Member, you can create Pocket Queries. Prior to losing access to the Internet, you can download up to approximately 2500 caches per day, which you can put into GSAK. The .gpx files have all the information, including the hint, that you can view in your browser by double-clicking the cache in the database.

From GSAK, you can Export in the correct file format for your PDA, if you have a program like Cachemate installed on the PDA.

When I was traveling, I created different databases in GSAK for the different areas I was traveling through. I also had different databases in Cachemate to make the seaches easier.

Whenever I found a WiFi location, I would download a fresh PQ for the area so I could make sure I had the most current data. You can get rid of Archived or Disabled caches by using the "Last .gpx Update" filter in GSAK after refreshing your database.

I agree with the others that GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is the product to use. Once your pocket querries are down loaded you can do so much with it. To answer your question though yes you can view the descriptions and logs off line in a brower. But what is more convient than that is to buy a used Palm Pilot or Pocket PC and use GSAK to export all that cache info into your Palm Pilot. If you use a Palm you will need an additional piece of Software for the Palm called CacheMate. Go paperless with a PDA. It sure beats dragging your laptop out with you. Check out the link for a great article on going paperless with a PDA.

http://65.34.18.106/content.php?article.15